• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What am I doing wrong?

Hello all. I have a quick question and would appreciate some advice from all. I have been spending a lot of time on the river the last couple of weeks fishing for eyes. I am getting lots of "taps" trolling with crawlers then let out lots of line for them to take the bait. Then after a while I set the hook and nothing is there! Am I giving enough line or perhaps too much? Or should I be using a stinger hook? Any ideas would be great because I am starting to get frustrated!!

Thanks in advance!!

fishhunter,

You want to have your crank banging the bottom, but not constantly. Generally speaking, if you get a hit, they will(should) be on!
Maintaining contact with the bottom is key, then reeling in just enough to attract the more aggressive fish!! Maybe the hits you were feeling were just bottom contact? You do NOT want to give them line when trolling cranks!! I hope this helps!
Keep the rods bendin'!!! JIm W

Jim.

That helps but what about when I am trolling with crawlers on a lindy rig presentation? Should I give them line then?

Thanks!!

Try using a half crawler first,if your still missing fish, you can try giving some line. However, this can be tricky. You need to give line with out them feeling it! Possibly free spooling or opening your bail quickly.

Otherwise a slower methodical hook set instead of a quick strike set, might help as well. What happens is, there is a little slack caused by the weight and leader, so when you react fast setting hard, half of your set is spent decreasing slack.

Generally, I like to simply give them the tip of my rod and slowly lift up or reel in the slack until you see or feel the fish on, then LET THEM HAVE IT!!!!! Good luck Jim W

So when I get a "tap" just lift the tip until you feel the fish then set the hook? Sounds good. I will have to give the a try. Thanks much for your help!!

fishhunter