• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Saved a smallie's life...

Steve-O

Fishing the dam at Hudson. Caught a couple of real nice white bass and a couple of smallies. Carload of people(edited) came in (all from across the river) and set up next to me. Immediately one of the kids had a HUGE smallie on. Fought it out and brought it in.
The fish had to be a solid 18 to 20 inches.
Estimated weight was around 3.5 lbs. Really beautiful. One of the nicest I've seen out of the Croix.
Then came out the trusty stringer and that's when I blew. Needless to say , the fish was released. I'm glad I was there or that fish would have been killed.
I have nothing against them. They just have NO idea of regulations, size limits, or etiquette. I seriously doubt that they even had WI licenses. I've seen violations too numerous to count and I needed to vent.
Anybody else run into the same things?

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 05-09-2001).]

[Editors Note]This post was very biased and is not allowed. Views on protecting the resource are welcome. Please keep them clean and without attacks on others, especailly when you lump a bunch of people into a category.

Always remember, when posting..
"We Have More Fun"

We do not destroy or demean others here...PERIOD!!!!

Hey Jim,
Check my post. I said If I would have caught it in the SUMMER I would have kept it. Summer begins June 21st and it would have been in season. I didn't even say I'd keep it. I said I would have taken photos and had a wall mount. I'm not being racist towards [edited] other races or nationalities[end edit]. I would treat anybody that violates the fishing regs. as much as they do the same way. Jeez, obviously you haven't been around them much.
Bodyman,
Thanks for the info on the regs being printed in their language. I think I'm even more upset now. I thought at least they could hide behind the excuse of not knowing the regs. The fact that they KNOW them and still choose to violate steams me. That's it. I'm calling the DNR every time I see them fishing. Last summer everytime I saw them they were violating in one shape or form.

[This message has been edited by Steve-O (edited 05-07-2001).]

Jim,
Apology accepted. I live right on the river and fish it quite a bit either wading, canoe or shore fishing. Regs are in place for a reason and it hacks me off when I see them broken. The river is such a wonderful resource. Last summer I came across a group of [edited]people[end edit] that not only exceeded the limit of smallies, but none of them were of legal size. The way I see it, fishing is a privilege and not a right. I just don't want to see one group ruin it for everybody.

I just sent a fax to the DNR office in Baldwin alerting them to the many violations that go on at the dam in Hudson.
If you want to do the same:
DNR Service Center
990 Hillcrest Suite 104
Baldwin WI, 54002
715 684 5940 (phone)
715 684 2914 (fax)
Write a letter, send a fax, or call and maybe we can cut down on the violations that occur in Hudson everyday.
Thanks

SteveO,

Good job, that is the best way to handle the situation. It is always better to be proactive rather than reactive!!!!

PJ,
I agree with your assessment. Not being a boat owner (yet) I really enjoy fishing from the shore and guides like the Turkster. [Edited]All races and nationalities[Close Edit] also have that right IF
they follow the laws like everybody else does. Are the [word removed by administrator] children not bound by the normal fishing regs. other than licensing? It was a child who caught that smallie. They were jabbering in some foreign tongue. But, rest assured, the fish DID go back. I saw it swim away. If I would have caught that smallie in the summer, I would have taken pictures and a wall mount made. It was that pretty.

I don't hold any prejudice against the [edited by administrator] other races or nationalities[end edit], but I have to agree they do alot of violating. Whether it's hunting or fishing they seem to do as they please. If there was ever a reason to use the term "meat hunter"(and I hate that term) this would be the case. Even then I wouldn't mind that fact that they keep everything they catch if they would have to hold to the game and fishing reg's that are inplace(size and bag limits) I know the DNR has reg's printed in their language so that can't use that excuse anymore. I have seen the DNR CO's down at the dam, checking liciences and what not. I think they could have a warden there full time for a couple of weeks to keep an eye on what goes on and get the message across that we don't allow that crap here in Wisconsin. The game laws should be applied to anyone that uses the resource reguardless of race. One positive side to this. They are reducing the number of rough fish in our waters.They take home any and all that they catch.
Good fishing.

I agree with you Jim. The racial predudice has no place here or on any forum. The fact the the smallie was out of season and SteveO saw to it that it was released is a good thing. Maybe more of us should take his lead and help educate those that seem not to be able to understand what the law's are and why they are inplace. But I think overall the DNR should take note of this problem and do what they can to prevent it from happening again.
Good fishing.

Don't put that white hood on me just yet! I would challenge ANY of you to give accounts of your dealings/meetings/confrontations in total with [edited]a certain race or nationality of{end edit] people where they were they were legal 50% of the time. No, well how about 25% of the time? 15%, 10%, 5%? How about 1%.
They don't even care to follow the laws if they even know them. Also, the language? MOST of the older people can't read it because it was 'created' by french missionaries in the 50's. Until then it was only a spoken language. A freind of mine is a teacher for an all [edited]of this race or nationality[end edit] elementary school. She has some VERY interesting stories about the community. In the USA, the children run things because they are the only ones that speak/understand english for the most part so what we have is a community of childish behavior.
As far as the raceist thing, you cannot dump the term and use it as a Trump card to win a conversation, it just doesn't work that way. Point out one thing that is wrong/misinformed in my reply from above and I'll think about it, but until then, I'm calling the facts as they are, facts. Not some alternate dimension with a world that doesn't exist. This is the behavior that I have seen.

Very interesting...I guess this was the wrong place for me to happen to pop into but...I did.

I happen to be [edited]among the group you post about[end edit] and while many of your thoughts and concerns are well taken...before you make pre-judgements on others, and about what they do you should look in the mirror. And also, is it really NOT fair to assume that because some people are one way that everyone is the same. I'm sorry, I happen to think that I am a decent hard working law abiding citizen along with many other's who I know. And yes, I will be the first one to admit, that a lot, even many people [edited by administrator] in my community[end edit] do stupid and wrong things, as stated above that give the rest of us a bad name...BUT NOT EVERYONE IS LIKE THAT. So before you start bashing...you should know the truth.
Although I am not going stick up for or defend anyone...I would hope that not everyone gets punished for a majorities stupidity(ignorance).

If this was all about fishing and hunting I might live with that...but when someone tries to reach in social economical grounds then I'm sorry it's wrong. Believe it or not, there are a lot of nice decent law abiding people out there who get a bad rap, and that's not fair.

But I will remember to keep this in mind the next time I'm out there fishing and hunting.

[This message has been edited by GuardianAngelOO (edited 05-09-2001).]

GA00, the only thing with certianty that I can comment on what I've seen personally, as it applies to hunting & fishing. I will admit that it is not much, but what I have seen is 80 - 90% of the time law violations (size, season, limit, ect). This IS such a problem that the DNR has hunting & fishing informational classes [edited]for other cultures[end edit]. However, they can't and don't reach all of those that need the info because the classes are (and as they should be) optional. It is true that one needs to be a NY lawyer to figure out all the laws as they apply to hunting & fishing in MN because of the complexity. HOWEVER, shouldn't one know and follow the laws if they decide to participate in this sport/recreation/food gathering especially if they decide to keep a fish? When I fish/hunt in another state OR body of water here in MN, I research what laws apply to that area. Shouldn't everyone? Dont get me wrong, it is the certian 'behaviors' that people conduct themselves in that I don't like, not the people themselves.

I'm sorry that this thread has taken the direction it has. I was just so angry at the violations I have seen throughout the last couple of years. If you see anybody violating do the right thing and inform them they are breaking the law. If they choose not to listen, turn them in.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Let's keep things above board, friendly and helpful to all people. No matter what our cultural differances may be.

There are some excellent points and points of view. Let's just be careful we don't target a nationality or race in a negative light.