Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bodyman

Ice conditions

2 posts in this topic

I went out this weekend for pan fish on area lakes. Did pretty well on perch and gill. The bite was hot most of the day and the male perch were leaking milk so the spawn must be close. The ice on the lakes we fished was very good for the 1st of april. Still driving on the one with no current flow. The snow is all but gone on the ice now and it'll go fast with the warm days ahead. On monday 3/25 there were still trucks on the ice between Bayport and Hudson. To risky for me with the river flow comming up like it is. I'll stick to the lakes until ice out. I'm guessing at least one more weekend of ice fishing around here and a couple more weeks for the northern lakes. Stay safe.
Good fishing.

The ice is going, going, gone. Atleast the lake I fished yesterday was.Little Falls lake. The ice was getting soft from the top all the way though. The current flow comming in had opened the upper end of the lake up and the water had gotten very muddy. Nothing biting either. I didn't spend alot of time out there, just enough to know it will be my last trip to the ice on area lakes this year. I'm hoping to make one more trip to winnie next weekend if their ice holds that is. All and all it's been a pretty good year. Hmmm lets see, how many months until Dec??? Can't wait. :-)
Good fishing.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Poutwhacker
      Any new info on locations and bait preferences? Depths? Reefs? Minnows, worms or leeches? Heading up Saturday. Thanks
    • bassbouncer
      marty's heating 966-2393
    • leech~~
      Well better you found it now and not this weekend or you would be SOL fore sure being the 4th.  Nothing wrong with a good old lake bath though!  Good Luck.
    • Handsonthepole
      Lots of mayflies now.  Larvae were coming up two weeks ago and now good amounts of sheds on the water.  Fishing has been great for those willing to move around and find active fish.  Use leeches.  2-3ft snell.  Plain hook.  Caught quite a few yesterday.  Good size range.  Kabetogama.
    • delcecchi
      Got to cabin.  Water heater out, I think it is thermocouple.  Looking for someone to fix it, soon as possible.   I'm on west end and could use a suggestion.  I am going to call lakes gas too, see if they have anyone.  
    • ZachD
      Try the Sherburne wildlife refuge plenty of places you can get to were not a lot of people want to go the spot I deer hunt you need hip waders to get to
    • ZachD
    • Borch
      We've done well in late June.   May need to move offshore more.  Cranks or spinners till you find fish then slow down if needed.   I use the public access.  Not usually too busy mid summer. 
    • h8go4s
      Blue_Healer (Shouldn't that be heeler, not healer? http://www.dogster.com/dog-breeds/Blue_Heeler ) "Thanks for the advice. Nobody else would help."   Me: "You're welcome. Did you check the websites I referenced? Did you stop at any boat dealers? "
    • Walleye #1
        With the big winds this week we were not able to venture out as far, so not a whole lot to report from the Main Lake.  When it isn’t blowing too hard, the main lake rock reefs were kicking out nice Leech Lake walleyes in 14-18 feet of water.  Pulling lindy rigs with crawlers or leeches as well as slow death at .5-.8 mph was the best.  Speed is the key when dialing in these fish.  Our Leech Lake fishing guides found a nice mix of eaters and bigger fish.   Still many of the same places as last week were producing in North Bar, Fletchers, Ivans, Submarine, etc, but don’t forget to look for secondary reefs and humps that are nearby or if the fish are not on the edges of those reefs look to the mud basins where the bug hatches are taking place and drive until you graph fish.   On the west end of the lake in Walker Bay and Agency Bays, shoreline breaks that had wind blowing in were the best.  14-20ft of water is where we keyed in on.  Pulling lindy rigs with chubs, leeches, or crawlers all worked to put a nice mix of walleyes and even some nice pike in the boat.  Other areas to key in on would be under water points and bars that run out into the bays and have deep water right next to them the bigger fish like to suspend and then come in and feed during these times.