Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Down to Earth

Why Can't We Have These?

Down to Earth

I was looking through the Southern Minnesota Fishing book last night and noticed a bunch of these smaller 200-400 acre lakes that are heavily stocked with walleyes and seem to have pretty decent population based on sample surveys. Its too bad we can't have a few of these around here. True we have the Mississippi, but wouldn't it be nice to have one a bit closer. Maybe they could do something to those pits by 14 & 52 when all of the construction is done or are those pits off limits? Or do you think they would be to small?

JIvers

I grew up in SE Minnesota, lived there for years after high school, and I now live in southern Iowa. Down here in the Iowa City area, there are one or two small (400-900 acre) reservoirs per county. They were created by damming up small creeks that flow through fairly deep valleys. These small reservoirs are all good crappie and bass spots, and those with suitable water conditions have respectable walleye populations as well (this being southern Iowa, they all have plenty of channel cat). I have very little good to say about the Iowa DNR Division of Fisheries (after living down here for three years, the Minnesota DNR looks far better), but the small reservoirs are one thing they get right. How many of these sort of reservoirs could be created in Winona, Fillmore, Houston, Olmsted, and Wabasha counties? I understand the need to preserve trout streams and the difficulties of buying up the land to be flooded, but would one or two such reservoirs in each county be too much to ask?