• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

ANY OF YOU BOYS FISH "THE OTHER SIDE"? I WAS THINKING I'D CHECK OUT SOME OF THE RUMORS THIS YEAR ABOUT BIG TROUT SOUTH OF THE BORDER. ANYBODY WHO KNOWS OF GREAT SPOTS WITH LITTLE PRESSURE IS WELCOME AT THE SMART FIRE!

WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

DARK30,

Try this link to DNR NE Iowa trout streams.
http://www.state.ia.us/dnr/organiza/fwb/fish/fishing/trout/troutstr.htm

I don't get into this area very often, since I'm in the SW corner of the state. For the 6 hour drive, I can be to Starbuck on my way to the Pelican Rapids area where we have a hide-out.

French creek has a great reputation, and from what I understand, there are several smaller streams with natural reproducing populations of browns that can be quite good.

If I knew more, I'd be willing to trade secrets for smallmouth info on the OT river...but

FLB

[This message has been edited by Freckled Lady Bucket (edited 04-03-2002).]

FLB,
THANKS! THATS NICE INFO TO HAVE. THAT LOWER FRENCH CREEK SOUNDS LIKE A WINNER! ALL BROWNS MUST BE RELEASED AND ARTIFICIAL LURES ONLY....WE COULD LEARN FROM THEM!

NEXT TIME I HEAD UP TO FERGUS I'LL TRY AND YELL AT YA!

WET NETS!

------------------

Dark30,

I grew up stream and creek fishing in northeast Iowa before moving to the Twin Cities several years. French Creek is about as good as fishing gets in Iowa. Lots of wild brown trout, both numbers and size. The stream is fairly remote and very scenic, with exceptional water quality. There is also enough fishable water that there is plenty of elbow room.

Another outstanding stream is Waterloo, just across the border near Dorchester. Again, a good population of wild browns with plenty of water to explore. There is at least one main tributary of Waterloo that also has a good population of wild browns.

If you are planning a trip across the border, I would highly recommend spending time on French and/or Waterloo. If you are interested in any other streams in Iowa, please let me know.

Maybe you could speed up my learning curve on southeast MN streams? Any advice for good streams for smallies/trout? What about smallies/trout off the beaten path?

ANYBODY KNOW OFF HAND HOW IOWA WORKS THEIR TROUT FISHING SEASON DATES? I MIGHT TAKE A LITTLE ROAD TRIP THIS WEEKEND.

------------------