Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
The Yeti

Lanesboro and trout

The Yeti

I'll be down in Lanesboro the weekend of the 13th on a retreat. Looking to maybe get some trout fishing in. Any suggestions for that area? Access points? Any info would be great. Thanks.

the_yeti_22@hotmail.com

Jim W

Yeti,

Too much to choose from! My one bit of info/suggestion would be to grab a new SE MN Trout Map. Find a stream and species of trout your interested in pursuing, then head out!

Are you fly or spin fishing or both?

By the sounds of things both the air and water temps will be very nice by the 13th!!!
You want to look for temps near that 50(52) degree zone for the most active trout bite!

In fact, I bet we get a couple T-Storms in before that, providing a bit of cloud to the water.

SOrry I wasn't more specific. PArt of Stream fishing is Search and destroy, finding waters on your own, catching trout on your own. You'll be glad you did this!!!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

PS. Get back a little closer to the date and I'll give a few more "specifics"!!!

Jim

The Yeti

I picked up one of those maps at the Sportshow. I'll take a look. I'll get back to you before next weekend. Thanks for the ideas. Anyone else with suggestions. Post here or feel free to use my hotmail address listed in the post above. Thanks again.

DARK30

HI YETI,

BELOW THE DAM IN TOWN CAN PROVIDE SOME FAST ACTION BUT USUALLY PRETTY BUSY. YOU CAN MAKE YOUR WAY DOWNSTREAM ALL THROUGH TOWN TOO...LOTS OF NICE SPOTS. HOW ARE YOU FISHING FOR THEM?

I'LL BE OPENING THE SEASON AT PRESTON BUT IF THE WATER IS REAL LOW AND CLEAR, I'LL SPEND SOME TIME OUT THAT WAY FOR SURE! THERES SOME REAL GOOD FISHING FURTHER EAST ALONG HWY 16 TOO, BUT THATS USUALLY BETTER IF THE WATER IS LOW. GOOD LUCK!

WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

The Yeti

I'll probably be using ultra light spinning gear. I have a new St. Croix pro graphite that I have yet to set up.

J.A.Say.Tree

Hey Yeti,

You'll find ALOT of competition on the streams considering it is opener! Dushcee is a good little stream, but you may not find a spot to fish there... it's right next to the DNR stocking ponds and for obvious reasons is a favorite spot for the opening day "weekend warriors." I would however recommend checking out the DNR station... pretty neat operation they have. Another really beautiful crick near Lanesboro is Gribben... quaint and loaded with spooky/challenging trout!!! Even if you don't catch many, it's still a wonderful place to be.

Good luck & let us know how it goes.

JA!

The Yeti

Stayed at Cedar Valley Resort on the Root River in Whalen. Very nice accomodations. Did not catch anything on the Root. Tried Gribbon Creek. Very clear and spooked fish. Tried Duschee up from the Hatchery in front of 2 drain pipes. Had one follow there. Small. Also tried a stretch of water out near Spring Valley. Turned another nice fish. But he would not bite. Using rooster tail spinners and small rapalas. Seemed that the Root was running fast and murky. Even the outfitters in Lanesboro said it was not a great weekend. Duschee and Gribbon are neat little trout streams. Looks like they need to be fish quietly and strategically. Oh well. I'll be back down again soon.

Jim W

Yeti,

Thanks for the report back! Very rarely will someone come back with info. I appreciate it!!
Better luck next time eh?!! WHat a fine day to be wading in SE MN!!!!! It is hard to beat it!!!

Jim W