• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

It's thattime of year again, when transitions are occurring across the board. From hunting to fishing, to open water to hard water!

ALso, it reminds me of the long winter "blues" that at times can effect a guy, even if he ice fishes all winter! Those "Seasonal Affect" symptoms that I'm sure more than I have fallen victim to! Which brings me to the subject of my 2nd Annual Trout Day.

Last year was the beginning. A kind of "feeling out" sort of day. We did have 30 register that day, with half winning a door prize!

We had a DNR electro-fishing demo, Wayne BArtz Field Editor from Midwest Flyfishing MAg available, free maps, regs, banter coffee, donuts and discussion on trout and smallmouth fishing in SE MN! Of course, there was a lot of fishing as well!

This year I hope to have an agenda filled to the brim!
I don't want to expound on specifics since we are a ways off, but keep it the back of your "bomber hat", snowmobile or pin it up on your ice shack!

This event will be for the whole family, Novice to Pro, young and old!

At this time, I will ask for anyone who is interested in the development of Trout Day 2002, please get a hold of me. It might even be called Smally/Trout Day!

Thanks a ton!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

This event was a lot of fun last year and I'm looking forward to attending again.

Great prizes and the cost was what?-ZERO.

Mix it up with a little fishing and what more could a guy ask.

OK, yes, the DNR sampling was fascinating!!!!!

Contact Jim W. You will be glad you did

Hmmmm, Smallie/Trout day, I think I Like that idea.

Maybe a fishing contest of some sort thrown in also? Teamed up with great people you just met.

Maybe get Hopper to show us how to tie some Local favorites?

Maybe a fish feed of fresh trout some time in the day?

Maybe show and tell time, Bring your pictures and the stories that go with them?

The ideas are limitless.

I'll be there agian and help if needed!

Thanks guys!
Sarge has some great ideas. I definitely like the fresh trout feed, but we need people to come and catch some fish to grill eh?!
I'll be spending most of my time at the shelter. So someone WILL HAVE TO CATCH MY DINNER!
I would like to see some of you walleye boys get out on the stream for some troutin'!!

Updates will continue up until the actual day!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

Drbiglu,
Good to hear from ya! If there is anything more you would like to see at this years event let me know. Hope to see you back again!!

Jim W

Hopper,
Last year it was held two weeks after opener on a Saturday at the Pavilion in Forestville State Park.
I will try to have it around the same time. It worked well. After, the mad dash of opener, plus a little more stable weather(knock on wood). Last year I guaranteed good weather and we had a bluebird sky all day!
I would love to have ya!
Be nice to have casting, fly tieing demos etc. Let me know and I can get you and your services on the flyer.
Jim W

Mark your calenders! The second annual Trout/smallmouth Day will be held APril 27th at Forestville State PArk!
Look for a full agenda soon!

Jim W

Update:

MinnAqua an educational department of the DNR will be providing information etc as well as an appearance by the LAnesboro Fisheries Department.

I have recieved several gracious offers by quite a few Guides from Fishingminnesota.com, donating full day and half day guided fishing trips from across the state! Plus, Rick has lined up a Red BArn rod for one of the door prizes as well!

Yes, you can win something, but come to meet others, of course to fish, learn or whatever you want to do in Beautiful Southern Minnesota!!!!
This event is for the Whole family! SO BRING YOUR KIDS!!!

Check back for additional info as I get more stuff together!!!

Jim W

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 11-19-2001).]

jim w,
Sounds like a great time. I have it marked on my calendar. Now all I have to do is arrange the basketball schedule to keep that weekend free.

Look forward to seeing you there MArk!

As a reminder to all, bring your children or any kid that loves to fish or would like to learn about fishing. Hopefully I can get a good number to the people from MInnAqua! They have wonderful, fun programs for kids. The more we can get to come the better chance they will come back next year!!
Remember It's FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO far some of the Door prize(sponsors) committments are as follows:

Gander Mountain(Rochester)
Bait Box(Rochester)
Magnum Sports(Chatfield)
Custom Rods by Mel Dickie
Red Barn Rods
Ace guide Service (Lake Vermillion)
D-Man Mille Lacs Guiding
Gullguide(Tom Herman)
Rick and fishingminnesota.com
And of course, Yours Truly

Jim W

MOre to come and it's not even Christmas yet!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 11-19-2001).]

Sounds great Jim,

If we have enough kids maybe we could have a few contests, casting for accuracy, for distance, Knot tying, ect. For some of the prizes?

I have a few extra rods and reels I don't use any more, I'm sure most of us do. Maybe we could bring afew down to give to some of the kids, if they dont have thier own?

And Jim if your donating a guided trout/smally adventure, I hope that I win that prize smile.gif

Update:

I spoke with a MINNAQUA rep last week. Their program is geared specifically to teach our youth about fishing. Depending on the amount of children that come, I can ask for various programs.

They take children fishing, teach them about identification, conservation, ecosystems etc.

If you are a scout, they even have knot tying, that you can get a badge for, learning 5-7 knots!

So I am asking now, and will be until the event, that if you plan on having a child or group of kids come, please let me know so I can make the appropriate arrangements.

Should be a great time for the WHOLE family!!

More to come!

Jim W

PS. Sarge, I'm not sure you would be elegible for a Jim W outing!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,
I'm new to this forum...just ran across the Trout Day announcement. I've marked my calendar and planning to bring my two daughters (10 and 14) who have recently gotten hooked on fishing, as have I. We're all looking forward to learning lots, and to a great time.

See you in Forrestville in April!

TedM, It was a great time last year and hopefully will be even better this year. If your daughters have any friends who like fishing, bring them also!