• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The following is a notice of an important meeting for those interested in promoting the smallmouth bass fishery in SE MN. Currently only 2 river miles are under catch and release regulations in SE MN out of - well those of you who fish smallies down here know how many miles of smallie water there are. We have the potential, by attending this and follow up meetings, to vastly improve the smallie fishery by supporting increased catch and release regulations for smallmouth. Read on:

The DNR Division of Fisheries has scheduled public meetings to gather input on smallmouth bass regulations on the Zumbro River. The proposed regulation change would expand the current 2 mile catch and release regulation area to include an additional 10 mile stretch of the Zumbro River, from the Wabasha County Road 7 bridge, downstream to Zumbro Falls.
The DNR will host the first public meeting at 7 p.m. on Nov. 14 at the Ponderosa Supper Club in Mazeppa. DNR staff will present a brief overview of fisheries data and public comment from previous meetings. An open, facilitated discussion on the regulation proposal will follow.
Representatives from the DNR will also be available to take comments from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Nov. 27 at the DNR Fisheries central office located at 500 Lafayette Road in St. Paul. Persons interested in commenting on this regulation will be provided with an overview of fisheries data and public comment from previous meetings.
Written comments may also be submitted by Nov. 30 to the Lake City DNR Fisheries Office at 1801 South Oak Street, Lake City, MN 55041, or e-mail to [email protected].

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Everyone, I just wanted to bring this previous notice back up to the top since November 14th is this coming Wednesday. Anyone and everyone concerned about smallmouth bass fishing in South Eastern Minnesota should plan to attend this meeting and show the DNR that you are supportive of creating an opportunity to catch some really big smallies. Hope to see you all there.

------------------
Fish On!
Big Lew

Thanks guys for the info! UNfortunately I can't attend! If you could put a bug in everyones ears for the Root River I would appreciate it!!
As with the ZUmbro, the Root needs some form of smallmouth management!

Thanks again guys!! Keep up the wonderful work!!!!!!!!

Jim W

Jim, What specifically did you have in mind? Slot limits? Catch and release? All of the Root River or just the Middle Branch? I would be happy to carry your suggestions forward as I have yet to fish the Root myself and feel I can not properly represent those who do. Thanks for your support and suggestions.

------------------
Fish On!
Big Lew

Very good question!
In a way, I feel having a catch and release only would kick! However, who am I to keep someone from keeping a fish if they like, especially an old "mounter" if they wanted?

Slots might be the way to go.

As far as what branch? Well First and foremost the North Branch. I heard the DNR had plans to manage the MIddle Branch for trout. That doesn't look good for smallies if you ask me!
Not many(as much as trout) fish for smallmouth in that area, so instilling a lan now, could really help the future of Smallmouth in the Root River!

If you know of additional contacts for me, let me know! I would love to begin the plans for saving the smallies of the Root River and it's Tribs!

Also, your group is more than welcome to attend(and bring fliers/info) to next years Smally Trout day!

Jim W

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 11-13-2001).]