• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New to the Zumbro Middle Fork

Just moved to the area and live right near the middle fork of the Zumbro that runs near Pine Island. I have only river fished for Cats up north on the Red River. What techniques/bait work good for anything on the Zumbro? I was using the dreaded worm just to see what is in this neck of the woods. I did not catch anything but I saw a few fish. I was not sure the species but they looked to be 1-2 lbs. Any help would be apreciated.

Dust, welcome to Southern Minnesota. I haven't actually fished the stretch of the Zumbro you refer to, but I would probably be pretty accurate in stating you will most likely find rough fish such as red horse suckers and carp. There is the possibility that you will also run into some smallmouth bass, but without personal experience I don't want to get your hopes too high.

------------------
Fish On!
Big Lew

Thanks Big Lew, I think the fish I saw were red horse. I will wait for the weather to stabilize and use a bottom rig to try to pick up some red horse. I know they are not pretty but I am strickly catch and release anyway. Do red horse school? The few fish I saw were right at each others side. Also, would cutbait be the best bet or is there a better attractant for these red horse? Thanks for the help, this message board is one of the better I have seen and it helps that everyone is so expierenced (unlike myself).