Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  

Jim W

After Saturday, my bleek attitude towards smallmouth fishing this season took an abrupt turn towards the positive!!
I fished a favorite small smallmouth stream with Sarge. The smallmouth were by no means jumping at the chance to get hooked. However, there is a strong indication things are in a full upswing!
Fish did not respond to my favorite plastics, but they were hitting hard my favorite smallmouth spinner, the "bumble bee" Rooster tail in 1/6 0z.
The water was a little cloudy and the smallmouth didn't take a fast retrieve. Interesting, nothing fast and nothing slow...hmmmmmm! Unfortunately, I lost my last two rooster tails to snags, nooo good!
So I switched to a #9 original floating rapala. The rap caught a few more, but it seemed as though the fish would rather play with the rap then take it!
We managed 15-20 smallmouth, with nothing over the 18 inch mark! After witnessing their activity Saturday, a chance for a sow smally increases each day!
The time is now people, get out and enjoy some beautiful Fall weather and scenery in SE MN. Not to leave out the splash of the high rising smallmouth!!!

Keep the rods bendin'!!! Jim W

Jim W

Smally Action has begun! They are taking a multitude of presentations. Once found, aggressive fish we'll snap at top-water or raps twitched along. They have started to feed on plastics as well with "Sarge" reporting 15 fish from one hole on a Texas rigged plastic crawfish!!
Smallmouth fishing only continues to improve. One really good sign for when to tie on plastics is when the river and streams are covered with fallen leaves. This has been an annual indication for me!
Let us know how the bass have been biting for you! Don't forget, trout season is nearing yet another end, and keep in mind next Spring's Trout Day!!!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!!
Jim W

Spend a day fishing with family!!!!!

Maryjl

HI Jim W,

I have noticed a large amount of baby Small Mouths latly on Tetonka. I never noticed this amount of baby ones before I hope its a good sign that the Small Mouth population is on the rise. Just a little reminder to those who would harvest these beautiful fish that the no harvest of Small Mouth is allowed after Sept 10th. By the way how was your vacation? <><Mary><>

Jim W

Mary,
Thanks for the catch and release reminder(for smallies)!
My vacation was a memorable one! VERY Hard/slow fishing and great fishing all mixed into one week! ALong with a close encounter with a bear. Nothing more enjoyable than fishing with family!! (I posted a "semi-report" for Kabetogama on their forum).
Thanks for asking Mary! I hope your time off was enjoyable as well!

Jim W

Jim W

With the luminescent and almost electric fall color display, Rick and I hit the stream Saturday for smallmouth.

With the first step into the clearing waters, I soon realized the bite might be a little challenging this day. The water temperature was more suitable for trout and the shallows were shadowed by scores of schooling minnows.

Over cast made the morning a little chilly, wearing shorts and just a T-shirt for yours truly . I reminded Rick of this a few times until the sky burned off, opening itself up to high blue!

As soon as we felt the heat of direct sunlight the bite noticeably picked up.

"Bumble bee" 1/6 oz. Rooster tails produced most consistently, followed by Plastics and the good ole' #9 Original Floating rap. Small depressions in rock lined runs held active fish. As Rick mentioned in his report, the larger holes didn't produce.
AN occasional bonus Brown added to this beautiful Fall day, with one around the 17inch mark.

On Sunday I did get on some larger bass with one in the 3 pound range. This fish came out of a longer/ deeper run. There were "natural wing dams" if I may, created from fallen rock. On the outside current edge of this wing dam produced fish on the Texas rigged crawfish!! I had to stop and take a moment to just watch my rod bend!

Work the plastic crawfish ever so slowly, with an occasional lift of your rod tip, reeling in your slack line. ALWAYS maintain contact with your bait! I had to stop and just watch my rod bend!!!(however, make sure you land the fish before worrying about a picture)

Give the smallies some time to adjust/feed to the abundance of minnows.

That evening we enjoyed some wonderful DARK30 chili and time well spent around the "smartfire"!! Thanks Dark!!! Now if you can get me on some Fall MN River walldogs, preferably before Rick LOL!!!!!!!

Good luck and HAPPY Fall to all!!

Jim W

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 10-01-2001).]

DARK30

YOUR VERY WELCOME JIM, IT WAS A PLEASURE TO HAVE YOU GUYS!
I DIDN'T FISH SUNDAY, INSTEAD ME AND ONE OF THE REGS WENT SCOUTING UP IN THE WOODS...WHAT A GREAT DAY! I MAY HAVE TO HUNT THERE THIS FALL.. DON'T KNOW BUT WE'LL SEE.
I GUESS FISHHEAD SEARCHED FOR EYES ALL WEEKEND AND DIDN'T FIND ANY BUT WHEN THINGS START WE'LL BE IN TOUCH...THE RIVER IS IN AWSOME SHAPE!
WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Sarge

Yeah, thanks Dark for the chili it really hit the spot. And I had a good time talking around the fire. We'll all have to get together again.

Rick

It was a great day fishing and evening eating chili and sitting around the smart fire.

Thanks Sarge, Tim, Dark30, and Jim W for an awesome day.

Jim W

Rick,
So, just how many of them Rooster tails of mine did you go through? lol!

Rick

I went through two. Maybe one is still on my rod. I didn't check it, I should've though.

I hope I carried my weight for the day?

Jim W

Rick,
I had a good time, showing you a couple of my favorite spots. The next day I did get into a couple larger fish. They were holding up in a slower deeper stretch. I caught them on the Crawfish rig! You pulled your weight!
I hope the temps moderate a few times before winter sets in. October should heat up on the streams!
I guess I need to start pulling together Trout Day one of these days eh?
I'm off to Vermilion tomorrow to Fish with the "Guideman". Dressing like I'm on hard water!!!!

Jim W

Jim W

How's the smally fishing been? I haven't been out in a week or so. After this rain, things should really get hot! Especially, if we get some cold nights! Let me know!

Jim W

DARK30

I HAVE TO GO DOWN AND MOVE THE CAMPER TO THE FAIRGROUNDS IN PRESTON FOR STORAGE HOPEFULLY ON SUNDAY......WELL I'LL JUST HAVE TO BRING THE ROD AND DO A LITTLE CASTING WHILE I'M THERE!
WET NETS! grin.gif

------------------

Jim W

Dark,
Let meknow and I can put you on some hot spots guaranteed to catch smallies!!!

Jim W

DARK30

JIMW, I JUST STOPPED FOR A FEW AT THE HWY 52 BRIDGE SOUTH OF CHATFIELD AFTER TAKING CARE OF BIZ IN PRESTON. I WAS HOPING ON HOOKING THAT BIG SMALLIE AGAIN BUT ONLY GOT BROWNS. ONE WAS A REAL NICE 18" BEAUTY!
I THEN HEADED FOR MANKATO AND HIT THE BLUE EARTH AGAIN BUT CAME UP EMPTY.
WET NETS!

------------------

DARK30

BIG_LEW, I DON'T FISH THE BLUE EARTH ALOT BUT I HAVE CAUGHT SOME NICE FISH BETWEEN RAPIDAN AND THE MINNESOTA RIVER MOSTLY WALLEYES AND CATFISH. I WAS SURPRISED TO CATCH A REAL NICE 17" SMALLIE ABOUT 2 WEEKS AGO JUST A FEW MILES UPSTREAM FROM THE MOUTH OF THE MN. I WAS TOLD IT WAS STOCKED WITH SMALLIES AT ONE TIME. THERES A BLUE EARTH RIVER THRED IN THE MINNESTOA RIVER THRED IF YOU HAVE ANY TIPS OR ?'S.
BY THE WAY, DO YOU KNOW A GUY NAMED JIM ABBOTT FROM LAKE CRYSTAL?
WET NETS!

------------------

DARK30, I know Jim, but he knows my Dad better and I also know Jim's Dad. He does quite a bit of walleye fishing at the public landing of Crystal Lake. I too had heard of past smallmouth stocking of the Blue Earth River, but had never heard any reports on fishermen catching them. Thanks for the update.

------------------
Fish On!
Big Lew

Hey Dark30, I grew up in Lake Crystal and have heard rumors of smallies in the Blue Earth River. Have you had luck there in the past?

------------------
Fish On!
Big Lew

Jim W

Hey ALL!

I was given about an hour and a half to walk some stream Saturday(should have gone Sunday with that prevelant sunshine) for some smallies!
I decided to hit a stretch that held some smallmouth a couple of weeks ago. These fish were held up in small pockets through out the stream.

Unfortunately, no smallmouth to be had. The smallies(at least in this stream) had been on the move, searching for good sanctuary for Winter.

However, I did get bonused with some very nice "out of season" brown trout, that were immediately released unharmed. The trout ranged from 13 - 16 inches, and boy were they colorful and fiesty!

When searching for smallmouth this time of year, it is imperative to crimp your barbs for those occasional closed season trout! In preparation and after spawn, trout are extremely aggressive! So remember, don't get yourself into a sitiuation where you could harm a trout out of season.

I'm hoping for a couple more "warm" days to search for smallies! With the colder water temps and fish in transition, once found, a smallmouth enthusiast could have a "hay day"!! These fish should be in scattered, aggressive groups. However aggressive won't necessarily relate to a HARD bite.

In the past, Fall brought large hungry fish! These fish need a little more time to make up their mind, though not hard to convince! Slow presentations such as plastics and live bait in large pools/holes, raps and spinners in adjacent slow moving runs!
Good luck!
Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W