Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  

New to Trout Fishing

As my name says I am a novice ... down a lot of dunking in my time ... but this is the first year I have considered and am trying Trout fishing ... any suggestions on type of tackle / flies to use? What about rods?

J.A.Say.Tree

Welcome Novice,

Ultra-light rod and reel... 6 lb test mono...
no. 6 & 8 short shank hooks (bait holder type)... a splitshot or two... and a dozen crawlers... sit below a riffle that feeds into a hole and cast up and let the crawler (or half crawler) feed into the hole... keep the line kinda semi tight so you can sense the bite by sight or feel... then set and fight!!!

Also purchase a few 1/8 ounce inline spinners (mepps/roostertail) and cast upstream or across stream into a run, rapids or hole... reel fast enough to turn the blade and you'll get hit!

Have fun... hope this gets ya started. Oh, it's also a good idea to pick up a DNR trout map. I'd recommend starting in either Whitewater or Forestville State Park... the park employees will be more than willing to send you in the right direction! Also, next Spring be sure to plan to attend Jim W's "Trout Day."

JA!

Be sure to crimp the barbs on your hook if you're intending on using bait. Stop in at Region Five headquarters in Rochester for a variety of trout maps/easement guides - they are all free.

JA! and HOPPER -

Sorry for my delay in acknowledging your responses. Thank you.

Only have three questions:

1) JA! ... when or where can I find information on Jim W's "Trout Day"

2) HOPPER ... where is the Region Five Headquarters .. and what is it?

3) Crimping hooks ... what is meant by that ....

thanks Novice

Region 5 headquarters is in Rochester (northeast) sort of down the raod fromt eh Federal Medical Center. It is the DNR's branch office for Region 5.

Crimping hooks mean taking a pliers and pushing the barb of your hook down. barbed hooks cause a higher mortality rate in trout than de-barbed hooks.

We are also nearing the time when the trout season goes to catch and release barbless hooks (here's the debarbing process). That is from Sept. 15-30.

Thanks for the clarification Hopper ... am trying to learn Trout fishing and want to obey all the possible rules so all can enjoy the fun and excitement of trout fishing ... so far I have been having fun watching and playing with the trout ... and catching a number of trees in Whitewater as my better half says ... smile.gif

novice