Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Jim W

Levels drop, bite picks up!!

Jim W

With the levels of most streams and rivers in SE MN, receding to almost record levels, them smallmouth will be easier to locate and catch.

Though rivers and streams haven't flowed as clear as they have in recent years, they have reached a level smallmouth enthusiasts should not ignore!!

The smallmouth are more apt to respond and react to light and temperature now that the flow of their home has siginificantly been reduced. Also, they will become increasingly aggressive, being that the once "roomy" hideouts, runs and holes are becoming overcrowded. It's similar to being stuck in a small bedroom(as a child) with 3 older brothers!!

This will not mean every where you look you'll find fish, but once you do, there's a decent chance your wrist will soon be throbbing from the fast action!!

I'm itching to do more smallmouth fishing!!
The time is now people! So take the neighbor, your son/daughter, wife or mother out for some smallmouth fishing in SE MN!!!

Keep in mind, the pesky flying creatures(nats, mosquitoes, deer flies) are on the hunt as well! So if prepared, you should be bonused with fine weather and good fishing!! Let's hope that temp continues to drop!!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!
Jim W

PS. ANy one been fishing lately!!??

SEwalleye

I was out last Tues evening and Friday afternoon on a smaller stream near my house. On Tues. I caught 2 12" on a Rapala. Friday afternoon nothing wanted what I had to offer. I guess it is time to start scouting and fishing the Root- I want some real action!!!!!

DARK30

I WENT DOWN SAT AFTERNOON BUT DIDN'T FISH UNTIL SUNDAY LATE MORNING. I FOOLED A FEW NEAR DOWNTOWN PRESTON BUT WHEN YOU STAY UP TILL 2a.m. PLAYING CARDS AND TALKING SMART YOU DON'T HAVE ANY STORIES TO TELL--ABOUT THE FISH ANYWAY.
I RAN INTO AN OLDER GENTLEMAN FISHING FOR CHUBS WITH WORMS. HE SAID HE HAS PRETTY GOOD LUCK WITH CUT BAIT FOR TROUT. ONE OF THESE DAYS, I'M GONNA TRY THAT. HE ALSO SAID THERES LOTS OF NICE CHANNEL CATS AND SOME FLATHEADS EAST OF LANESBORO. I THINK I'D ACTUALLY EAT A COUPLE OF CHANNELS IF THEY CAME OUT OF THE ROOT.
HOW MUCH RAIN FELL DOWN THERE? LOOKS LIKE IT GOT POUNDED ON THE RADAR.
WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Jim W

Dark,

The area averaged between 2-3 inches of rain with little effect on the streams and rivers.
It's been soooo dry, most absorbed into the parched ground!!
I too have heard(trying it only a few times) that large trout are often caught on chub tails or cuts!!
I have seen very large cats(10-15 pounders) on the North and Main branches of the Root!!

Keep the rods bendin'!!! Jim W

goody

I fished a stretch of the Zumbro above the
Green Bridge on Wabasha County #7, on late Sunday afternoon. With streamers, I caught (and released) 10 brown bass and 1 white bass. Nothing big ~ but always fun in the current on a fly rod. They all hit on the current seams between the flow and the eddies.

DARK30

YA WE'LL HAVE TO GET TOGETHER SOMETIME. I'M GONNA TRY TO HEAD DOWN AGAIN THIS SATURDAY BUT THEN I'LL BE UP AT SWAN LAKE NEAR FERGUS FOR A WEEK STARTING AUG 5. MY NIEGHBOR CUT HIS RYE TODAY AND THERES ALOT OF STRAW TO BAIL UP....HE'LL BE LOOKING FOR ME! GOOD REASON TO GO TO PRESTON!
MY E-MAIL IS klinnfamily@aol.com (KEVIN)
WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

jeffleek

Hey Dark, The river in town, Preston, looks good still. Jim is correct. All that water soaked right in. Ya know, one of these Sat. evenings I'm gonna come down and see you. Sounds like you have some fun at HV. I've been so busy lately I just don't have time. I've GOT to go to Pepin early Sun. AGAIN! Fished from Lanesboro to Whalan last Sun. Was really slow for us. Only a few small bass, couple trout. Was actually fishing for walleyes. Non of those either.
When I used to fish trout a lot I'd use cut bait. Just fillet a small strip off back area of chub or shinner. Many years ago I was fishing for a seven 1/2 pounder by fair grounds bridge. Sat up above and used sucker meat. Saw the darn thing four ar five times chasing minnows. Guy came and sat about 30 feet below me. He caught it on sucker meat about ten minutes after he sat down. The late Bill Barlow. Real Nice fish!! JLK

Is there anyone who is a regular contributor to this board who uses artificials - flies in particular, and not so much of the worms, chubs, sucker meat, chicken gizzards and whatever else to lure fish onto their hook?

No offense to the bait dunkers, just looking for the fly guys (and gals).

Jim W

Hopper,

I have fly fished a few times but not extensively. JA SAY TREE has thrown dries and wets more. However, I can provide any info you need regarding, current hatches etc. I guess now it goes back to you. Ask your questions or post your info. We would love to have any fishing information you would love to share.

LAst April at the "Trout Day" I put on at Forestville, there were a lot of people interested in learning about fly fishing. Heck, the grand prize was a custom made 3 weight Mel Dickie special!!!

I guess if there is something specific you need, simply ask! If you would like to share and assit in teaching others by providing wonderful information on fly fishing, HOP ON!!!!

Thanks for the advice, but I am well versed in the hatches, flies, etc. as I run my own guide service fly fishing for trout. Just looking for others who fly fish as well.

Today I spent a 94 degree day in Winona County with about 25 trout (browns and a brook) caught and released. A #14 Flutering Caddis (Tan elk hair with brown hackle) with a #12 Flashback Black Wet Fly took most of the fish. I even caught some on a Madame X as I was leaving (hopper pattern).

Streams that are clean right now include: S. Branch WW, upper Middle Branch a.k.a Crow Spring. The North Branch WW is not clean and the Midle Branch is clearing. Beaver Creek and Trout Run both are clean in WW. Rupprecht, Bear, Stockton, and Garvin Brook are all clean. Fished Garvin for a bit - caught both on a #18 Shillinglaw Emerger. Rush, Pine, Cooleridge, and Hemmingway are all clean, except where the cattle are standing in the water. Trout Run is also clean.

Tricos are coming off in Forrestville and Rush Creek (#20-24). Stick to nymphs or terrestrials for best results on other most streams.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 07-31-2001).]

Jim W

Awesome info Hopper!! However you might want to refer to the websites administrator before posting personal business sites etc. I know the area you seem to lurk very well!
Do you know Wayne BArtz? Again get a hold of Rick our wonderful "overlord", he might be able to help you out!!

goody

Hopper,

I see by your profile that your from Rochester. If you would like to talk one-on-one with some guys that share your interest in catching Small Mouth with a fly rod, check out the SEMSA (South East Small Mouth Alliance) booth at the Olmsted county fair. They are in the Conservation Building at the north end of the food vendors. They are providing info on small mouth conservation issues, doing flytying demonstrations (specific to brown bass), and just talking with folks with similar interests.

I don't use a lot of various patterns in my pursuit of bronzies. Clouser minnows, bead head woolly buggers, and a few poppers (spun dear hair, and foam), are what I carry and catch most on. Vary the color and the size to the conditions and the "hatch" and you should have good success.

Any and all readers of this post would be very welcome to stop by the SEMSA booth at the fair and visit.

Maybe I'll see you at the fair.
goody