Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Jim W

Non designated success

Jim W

The past several years have witnessed a marked improvement in stream and river conditions in SE MN.

Rivers in the recent past, like the Root river, have cleared considerably while average temperatures decrease. This change has created a very interesting effect on "non-designated" trout waters! As I have mentioned in other posts, we can thank a lot of this on the DNR's CRP program.

Yes, I would agree that some trout can remain in a more volatile environment
(warmer waters), hiding under log jams, under cuts and at the bottom of large holes. However, waters adjacent to, downstream from designated trout streams or what I call, "Sister waters" (rivers/streams that feeder trout creeks flow into) are holding large numbers of year round visitors, mainly the Brown trout.

These waters are not/have not been deemed a designated trout stream. The term designated refers to streams/rivers managed by the DNR either for stocking or stream improvement projects.

Some of the aforementioned waters have been known for great smallmouth action! In the last 5 years, I personally have noticed more and more Brown trout in smally territory! Along with the CRP program we can thank numerous Spring flooding with cold/high waters, enabling curious and hungry "bull" browns to head up stream!

DO NOT pass up the opportunity to fish beyond the "bold Blue" line on your trout map! There are many trout caught outside of designated trout waters. It's time to get that map out and begin your search!

I would be "crucified" if I gave out specific locations(sorry). A few friends and I have dedicated countless hours and miles of shore, wading and exploring for that possible "Non Designated success"

Keep the rods bendin'!!! Jim W

Jim W

WOW! SO important you had to add it twice huh JA!?

DNR, Congress, legislature, The House, Senate, State government, local goverment, federal government, credit to whom ever! I suppose you would like credit for "finding" that section of water Sarge and I explored Sunday?(jk)

Jim W

J.A.Say.Tree

I guess that's just those RF journalism classes coming out!

And No, it's not necessary to "thank me" for "going that extra mile"... HA! Can't wait to go that extra couple miles!!!

[This message has been edited by J.A.Say.Tree (edited 06-26-2001).]

Bogsucker

Stream Quality improvement and perhaps wildlife habitat improvement may be the only benefit we will ever see from the CRP and other similar "Farm" programs. What cost will we pay for the improved "Habitat"?

Bogsucker

Why you snivelly little twits. If I was your Dad I 'd take both of you over my knee and give you both a good spankin'. How many miles of stream and river are in SE MN? More than you could fish in a lifetime. I do have a great deal of respect for those sacred spots however, what constitutes a sacred spot? A hole. a section of stream or maybe the whole river? I'll let you decide. Let's just remember who we are, Fishermen, Friends, and hopefully conservationists.

Jim W

Bogsucker,

WOW, well put!! I guess that means I let you walk ahead of me all day Wednesday huh? I sure don't want a rasberry on my ars!!

J.A.Say.Tree

My goodness... name calling from the Bogsucker!??!?!!!???

Well, I had better bend over and take my spanking then... I guess that's better than being a farmer, and getting [Edit] and [Edit] from the government...

Oh, that's right..... this is a family show!!!

[This message has been edited by J.A.Say.Tree (edited 06-26-2001).]

Bogsucker

The Bogsucker would never intentionally offend a fellow angler or friend. He might offer an occasional bit of constructive criticism though.

jeffleek

Jim, Um, Yes! What else can I say after all that?

jeffleek

Jim, Here I go again. A few years back, before lower Watson was des. trout, I was throwing a spinner in a hole that was maybe 30 feet long and maybe 10 feet wide. I was just looking for a few browns for supper. I hooked into a heck of a nice fish. Broke my line. The water was a little cloudy that day. One week and 3 days I went back. New line. 22 1/2". Really a nice looking fish. But it did surprise the heck out of me. I have since caught a lot of nice trout in "non-trout water". They are there. When I float the north branch it's amazing the people that have no idea what types of fish are in the river and "why would there be trout in here". Oh well, good post. JLK

Jim W

Ah yes, Watson. I have fished her many times up on the top half. When you say "lower Watson" are you referring to downstream from the highway 52 bridge?
Jim W

J.A.Say.Tree

I wholeheartedly concur with most of Jim W's post... SE Minnesota stream fishing has definately improved over the last 10 years & there is no doubt you will find trout moving up into "none designated" water.

However, let's get one thing straight... Although the DNR can be thanked for stream improvement(some may argue this) and stocking, it by no means can take credit for CRP.

The Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) is the Federal Government's single largest environmental improvement program -- and one of its most effective. Today, the CRP is safeguarding millions of acres of American topsoil from erosion, increasing wildlife habitat, and protecting ground and surface water by reducing water runoff and sedimentation (Yippeeee!!!). Countless lakes, rivers, ponds, and streams are cleaner and more vital in part because of the CRP.

So let's give credit where credit is due... the 1985 Congress took the old Soil Bank program of the 50s to the next level so to speak, and we have them and countless participants in the program to thank

We need more of this type of forward thinking and participation to preserve and inhance our waters & fish, and wilderness & wildlife for future generations.

JA!

Jim W

jeffleek,

I apologize for JA and myself for getting off track! Bogsucker put it well when he said there is more stream and river to fish in SE MN than a guy could fish in a lifetime. SOmetimes it gets a little frustrating when people don't take that wonderful opportunity to find one of those MANY spots themselves.
It's all there for the taking! Keep coming back with info! I appreciate all that I can learn! Keep the rods bendin'!!! Jim W