Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
nate larson

TROUT, the other white meat

nate larson

Hello fello trout fisherman! I went fishing yesterday and had only limited success, I caught about 5 or so on trout run, most of which were small. I went out last thursday and caught 20 or so on near Preston. I am just curious to hear how fishing has been for everyone and what methods have been producing the best. Also I am wondering if anyone could tell me some good spots to try on the Whitewater since I don't know the area very well. I look foreward to hearing from everyone! Thanks for your time.

Gerd

I was just on the Whitewater this weekend. There were a lot of people there so the river was pretty muddy. Try the South Branch. There weren't many people on it and the water was very clear. We caught 6 browns right near the bridge. I fished Trout Run a lot this weekend to avoid the people a little more. We found a hole holding about 20 fish. Large browns and some NICE Brookies! But they wouldn't take anything! It was all just a matter of timing I think. Maybe during the week when the pressure is lower. Today we looked for an Unnamed Creek (it's on the map) off the Main Branch. What we found were a few brookies. It takes a lot of effort climbing down into the valley. If you discover an easier way to access it please let me know! Hope I've been of some help. Good luck!

Jim W

Nate,

I haven't heard lately if there are any major hatches going on, but usually some decent caddis hatches along with the early June produces some decent blue-winged olive hatches. As far as spin fishing, I have had wonderful success throwing rapalas. I highly recommend crimping your barbs to ensure easy catch and release!
I missed the largest trout of my life yesterday! Had it on and it came off after a short battle. I'm guessing it was in/near 23 inches!!! Keep the rods bendin'!!! Jim W

DARK30

I HAVEN'T BEEN DOWN THERE FOR TWO WEEKENDS NOW. I THINK I'LL BE HEADING UP TO THE FERGUS FALLS AREA THIS WEEKEND TO HIT THE OTTER TAIL RIVER BUT I WILL BE BACK TO THE CAMPER SOON. JIM W, I THINK FISHHEAD CAUGHT THE TROUT FEVER AT FORESTVILLE SO MAYBE WE CAN ALL HOOK UP SOMETIME. I'M ITCHIN TO HIT A COUPLE OF NEW SPOTS I FOUND THIS YEAR.
WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Jim W

Dark 30,
Did winning the fly-rod have anything to do with catching the fever? Fishhead was the winner wasn't he? After the rain we received last night, things will take a few more days to reach decent clarity levels!
I would like to come up in your guy's kneck of the woods for somes dad fishing.
Maybe we could work out some sort of fishing exchange!

Hey, there you go! Maybe that's an idea we could start statewide? A fishing exchange. Trade your local expertise for someone else's. A day in your area in exchange for a day in mine etc? We could have it start in the specific species forum.
For example, Joe Blow rights in, interested in catching catfish, a local catfish expert agrees to take Joe Blow fishing for Cats, but Joe Blow will have to trade a day fishing for whatever the Cat guide(doesn't have to be someone who guides to exchange a day fishing) is interested in fishing for!! So in other words, if you want to exchange, you'll need to provide something in return.

Another good way to get people together from across the state. I'd be up for it! Tell me what you guys think!!!! Jim W

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 05-21-2001).]

I didn't win the fly rod but I did catch the fever.I had planned on coming down to SE MN to do some fishing this past weekend but was "reminded" of some things I needed to get done before my daughter returned home for the summer.Next weekend I just have to chase some smallies on the Miss near Monticello.The following weekend I go to Leech for my company trip.I fear with all the talk of warming water I may have missed my opportunity to do some more trout fishing this year.But I will be watching the board for the reports that you guys are so graciously giving.
Jim I like your idea of trading expertise,I don't claim to be an expert on the waters I fish but I do know some pretty good spots that produce most of the time.I would be one of the first guys to put my name in the hat to trade on any given species or areas.