• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

smontanye,

If you have waders, the possibilities are endless, especially for smallmouth. Do a little search and destroy and you won't be let down.
Otherwise, look for areas on the zumbro where smaller feeders merge. Generally, near by will be a decent hole followed/prceded by a nice run.
In Zumbro Falls, a trout stream feeds in just West of town. Good spot for both trout and bass, sauger walleye as well.
Where the Middle and North Branches join
(near thielman(sp?)) there is a very nice hole for multiple species. Below the Lake Zumbro Dam is very good for multi-species as well. ALso, below the Oronoco dam you can catch fish! I hope this helps some. Don't forget the Zumbro that flows through Rochester. Not many people fish it, but there is a lot of fish in it! Keep the rods bendin'!!! Jim W

• 2 weeks later...

Where in rochester on the zumbro can you catch fish? And on that note what kind of fish? I am ver curious to try something out new.

born to fish,
Well, where there is water, there will be fish. More specifically, here are a few spots to try on the mighty Zumbro in Rochester.
1. Below the Silver Lake Dam.
2. Silver lake
3. Near the power plant in/around silver creek which flows in directly across from the power plant.
4. Behind Mayo Civic Center
5. Anywhere below the dam by Econo Foods into the golf course.

Between the Silver Lake Dam and the Econo foods Dam you'll find a lot of smallmouth and other varieties of fresh water game fish. However I haven't fished there for years. I grew up a half block from Silver lake. I use to catch crappies, sunfish, bluegills, large and smallmouth bass, carp, suckers etc.
Below the SIlver lake dam you might have the best chance for multiple species.
The Zumbro within Rochester is rarely fished! At least that is, properly. MOst go out with a bobber and worm. Yes you can catch fish this way, but I believe if properly approached, a guy could come away with a lot of fish. Fish that have never seen an artificial presentation. Give it a go and let me know how you did! Keep the rods bendin!!! Jim W

Thanks tons!!! I am going to have to give it a go this weekend when i get a day off of work! And see just what we can pull outta the water. Thanks again!

Born2Fish - Don't forget to report back and let us know how you did. I know I'm very curious about your results.

------------------
Fish On!
Big Lew

Havent fished it yet personally but a very good buddy of mine told me he went out and was killin' the smallies and bluegills. I forgot to ask him where he fished but the way it sounds he was by econo and the golf course. I hope to try it next weekend after opener.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.