• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Well...........?

How many of you went out on opener Saturday? Second, how many of you found fishable water? Third, did you catch anything?

THe "Sarge" and I found some "fairly" clean water. We managed a few brown trout. However, the water temp was very low and the stream level was very high! This made for a difficult outing, but you can't beat the weather we had on Saturday!!!!! LEt us know how you did on opening weekend!
I hope to see a few people on the 28th!!! Jim W

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 04-16-2001).]

WELL IT WAS REAL NICE TO GET DOWN THERE, I JUST DID MORE RELAXING THAN ANYTHING. I WASN'T GOING TO STAY SAT NIGHT BUT I RAN INTO SOME OLD FRIENDS WHO PARKED THE MAGIC BUS AT THE OLD BARN.......ENDED UP SITTIN AROUND THE "SMART" FIRE. (OUCH)
THEY DID OK WITH CRAWLERS BUT THE BIGGEST ONE WAS 14". I REFUSED TO USE ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE RAP AND ALL I HAD WAS A FEW FOLLOWS.
THE WATER IS STARTING TO CLEAR UP, BUT IS STILL HIGH AND NOT GOOD TO WADE.
WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

I fished Whitewater on Saturday. In the park and right outside. It was chocolate milk. I only fished for about 1.5 hours. No bites on spinners. I plan on hitting it again some night this week.... will the fish be ready to feed or will they all be full from worms, etc. washed in the river?

frydaddy,

To be quite honest, I'm not sure I believe the theory of "trout getting too full from crawlers and not feeding".
In the past I have experienced the best bite(spin fishing) when the water just begins it's clear up. This gets me all worked up!
Keep a watchful eye on your favorite stream/run. When it reaches a point where the clarity appears too cloudy, give it a shot. I have caught all(most)of my largest trout during the streams first clearing phase.

Your right when you mention chocolate milk, definitely not good! If you can see the contour of the stream bed but not the bottom, LOOK OUT! This is the time to hit it hard! If you can't see the trout, mostlikely they won't see you! This allows you to approach sections of stream more aggressively!
ALso, you will need to be a little more patient when fishing cloudy water. Don't fish it like you would when it is clear(or near clear).

SO how can you be aggressive and patient at the same time? Make 3 to 4 times the casts you normally would in your favorite run or hole. The trout can't see as well, so placing the presentation nearby a suspected "trout lair" several times over increases your chance for a fish.

Another thing to keep in mind when fishing cloudy(and/or high water) is using a "swing retrieve"! This is done by casting just up stream from the run or whole you wish to hit. Then, let the current swing your spinner/rapala or bait through your hole. The key here is, allowing your presentation to drop closer to the bottom. In faster runs/holes or during high water, the trout will be hugging the bottom hard! Less current and more oxygen.

I get all worked up when I see a favorite stream of mine reach that not so clear phase! This is the time to catch a trout of a lifetime!!! Keep the rods bendin'!!! Jim W

THE BROWNS THE GUYS CAUGHT IN THE ROOT ON CRAWLERS WERE PACKED TO THE GILLS AND HITTING VERY LIGHTLY. SOME OTHER FRIENDS WERE GETTING RAINBOWS TOO IN A SMALLER CREEK BUT NO AGRESSIVE FISH ANYWHERE, NONE THAT WANTED THE RAP TOO BAD ANYWAY.
I WAS TALKING TO THE GAL IN THE OLD BARN RESORT AND I MENTIONED THAT NOT TOO MANY PEOPLE THROW TROUT BACK AND SHE SAID SHE THOUGHT THAT NOBODY DID!....BUMMER, THATS THEIR RIGHT BUT I NEVER CAUGHT A REALLY NICE FISH ALL LAST YEAR. I HOPE I CAN FOOL SOMETHING OVER 15-16" THIS YEAR. I USED TO GET ONE OR TWO 17-18" EVERY TRIP BUT THAT WAS BEFORE SO MANY PEOPLE WERE FISHING AND THE BIKE TRAIL WASN'T THERE.
OH WELL... I'M MOVIN IN THIS WEEK END, WE'LL SEE HOW THINGS LOOK. BOY, THEY SURE HAD ENOUGH WATER AROUND FILLMORE DIDN'T THEY!
I SAW THE LITTLE BRIDGE SOUTH OF TOWN WASHED OUT. (THAT BEAR CREEK LOOKS HOT) SEE YOU ALL SOON AT FORESTVILLE!
WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Any updates on water conditions on any of the streams in the Spring Valley or Lanesboro areas? Thinking of going bright and early tomorrow. I'd appreciate any feedback.

uffdapete,
You should have NO problem finding fishable water. Most in those areas are fine. However,(always a however) if we get those thunder boomers like they are predicting that might cloud things up a bit. If that happens, try some of the larger streams first. They generally take a little longer to cloud up. If you can time being out there immediately following a thunderstorm, LOOK OUT!!! I have had my best outings waiting for a storm to pass through!!! 50+ trout would not surprise me! Good luck Jim W

I went trout fishing on thursday in the preston lanesborro area. I tried fishing the root with only limited success, the water is still a little high for me. I caught quite a few on camp creek neer preston and also on Duschhe creek by Lanesborro. I was fishing with spinners and I was getting hung up constantly. Hopefully we don't get too much rain this weekend.

I wish you all good fishing!

Thanks guys. That helps to formulate a plan that means more time on the water and less road time!