• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Smallies up on the reefs?

I fished kabe for my first time in late september last year. I absolutely enjoyed it. We got to fish the week right before the fall bite came on. Managed to get a 42" Pike in the boat and a 5lb smallie.

The only thing I guess that I am really wondering is, are the smallies sitting up on the rock reefs yet? I haven't read what the water temp is up there yet, but I am guessing it is in the low 70's? Any help on this would be great. I know most of you guys fish for walleyes, but I'm sure you have noticed if they are up on the reefs.

I guess one more thing. I am assuming that the pike are in their deeper cover now, adjacent to the weed beds?

Any help would be great guys. I will make sure to post a good report when I get back on Monday. Thanks alot.

Versus

Versus, I haven't done a lot of smallie fishing, but have gotten fish on the rubble shorelines with Husky Jerks. Also, visited with a fellow who loves to fish smallies with a fly rod. He did very well on the tops of reefs with a dry fly. He had a great time. So I guess, to answer your question, yes they are on the reefs.. Good Luck ,,Fishkab

Getting back to posting the report a little late, but the weekend made me sleep monday night instead of type on here. The fishing over the 24th and 25th was more difficult than I thought it would be. Out of the whole weekend, with about twenty hours of fishing, we manged to only get two fish in less than ten feet of water. One was an 'eye on a reef and another was a pike up in the shallow weeds.
All the smallies we were able to get came off of the sides of the reefs. Smallies seem to be relating to about 10-13' of water. Trolling shad raps and husky jerks along the sides of longer reefs seemed to be the most productive. Final count was 4 smallies, 5 pike, and 2 'eyes. Not great, but either way it was great weather and we were fishing Kab.

Versus