• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

First time KAB

Hello all, our crew is heading to Kab for our yearly excursion. We usually go into Canada but decided its time to support the MN economy. We are staying at the redpine resort. Does anyone know anything of this place? I see from reading some posts that it's an unusual year for fishing? Any tips for or hot spots you know of? Also I've been hereing all sorts of things about this sloped floor bar in kettle falls? Is it worth the boat ride? And how far of a boat ride. Thank you all. We are heading up on July 10th so stop by and join us for a beer at the redpine.

Shoot me an e-mail and I'll give you my two cents outside of the forum. I've been going up there for 34 years and worked my way through college at resorts on the lake.

[email protected]

Watch out for the rocks! shocked.gif This will be our third year on Kab and our first with our own boat. A guy that knows the lakes, hit a rock with his prop at the dock at Kettle Falls the first year we were there. The second year our friend bumped a bolder with his outdrive at planning speed.

We went to Kettle Falls last year and plan to return this year. It seems that it is about a two hour ride from where you will be staying. That is assuming that you don’t get lost! Get into the marked channel and follow the channel North when you have a choice in Namakan. Remember this spot well or on the return you might find yourselves on the way to Crane. When you are near Kettle Falls there is a sign on a cliff pointing the way. The trip to Kettle Falls will have you zigzagging in and out of Ontario’s Kamakan waters. Unless you have Ontario fishing licenses I wouldn’t fish or have fish in the boat.

Hope the fishing is good! smile.gif

Hey Sloppy, we'll be up for a week starting Sat. as well. Staying at Pine Aire just down the road. Just got back from a "QUICKIE" over the 4th. The fish are starting to snap a bit now out on the reefs. You should also give The Martins, Cuculus, Headlight, Bloomer, and Harris Is. a try. The mayflies have started a little, but it's been a fairly light hatch up til now. Good luck and stop by cabin 6 if you get a chance.

LOL. All right. Rocks. check. marked channel. check. zigzag. check. sign on cliff, namakan, crane, kamakan, ontario. shocked.gif Looks like we'll be getting lost. good thing we're renting our boats. grin.gif Sounds good satchmo I'll keep an eye out for the pine aire, and try out those hot spots. Are there a bunch of you going down?
Thanks for all the input.

[This message has been edited by Sloppy2nds (edited 07-07-2004).]

Just tried to send you an email Kab dreamin. Wouldn't go through. My emails [email protected] Would like to hear your two cents.
Thanks

Sloppy,
If you like beer, you're stayin at the right place.
As for Kettle Falls, stop at the Gateway Store and get a set of maps if you don't already have them. The fishing/directional maps will save you from getting lost, wandering accross the border, and save you a prop and lower unit. The lakes have numbered and colored navigational markers that lead you to Kettle Falls as well as down to Crane Lake through Namakan and Sand Point. The colors tell you which side of the marker to go to avoid hazzards. The maps I spoke of have the numbers and buoy placements on them.

Kettle Falls is a little spendy, but they have to boat or barge everything there. The bar floor and pool table are unique and it is a festive time there.

The trip takes a little less than an hour if you travel at 20 or so miles per hour. There are several good fishing areas in Namakan if you make a day of your trip, in fact they are right along your route.

The numbered and colored buoys I spoke of are placed where you can almost always see the next one ahead to assure you that you going the right way. In a few locations a pair of binoculars will be handy. Bring a camera and a measure tape or have any big catches recorded and enter them in Gateways fishing contest. Good luck, guts

I agree, it is easy to get lost amongst the rock filled waters. But then on the other hand with a pair of binoculars or a GPS you should do fine. The bouys can be hard to read but if you see a bouy you're on the correct path to staying away from the rocks and out of Canada.

I have been there several times and still have to refer to the map when all the islands look the same (usually after a couple a beers).

It is a large open expanse, don't let it intimidate you. Have fun! I'll be there July 15-19 just in time for the cold front. :-(
-- Doc

Sounds good. Just bought some maps. Think we'll make it now. Thanks gutz and doc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again, Just recoverd from my trip. **** was the fishing bad on Kab, but I blame it mostly on no fish finder. The locals told us it was a bad year. But the Weather was fantastic. I don't think there was a day under 80. We made it up to Kettle Falls. Piece of cake with the boey's. Was a pretty cool place minus the $10 sun screen and $4 a gallon gas. We actually had alot of luck in the Ash River. Many Pike a few big Walleyes and Susie mixes a fine, fine drink at the Frontier. Also I can't think of the Island name right in front of the red pine sphache or something. Anyway there is a bay right as you enter where there are a line of cabins and while trolling through on a fine hot day we heard screams and then saw splashes. Much to our surprise there were topless women running around. They named themless the wild girls of Kabetogama. **** me for being so hung over that day. Gave them a boat ride and all I could do was stare at the floor. Oh well. Fun place. Just might return. Tahnks all.

34 years up there and I ain't seen anything like that. I must not be living right. *****

sloppy 2nds
I have gone to kab many times but have never stayed on the ash river. This year were staying at frontier in mid aug. The price is right but whats the resort like cabins ect.

------------------
great fishing to all

Hey All,
Fishing and catching is pretty damm good right now on Kab and Nam. I've been out the last three afternoons and caught many fish, lots under 13 and many over the 17, of all catches it seems about 1 of 5 is a slotfish.
Lindy rigs, long snells, spinner, use a leech or inflated crawler and stay in the 16-22' range, sand or clay bottoms easy to fish, and action pretty steady early eve. until dark.
Sloppy, the Island you are speaking of is probably Spunge Island, sounds like a mermaid story though. I would never try to fish Kab or Nam without a depth finder, the contour changes radically and it is difficult to fish correctly with a depth finder.

Frontier is a good choice for a place to stay, the owner Debbie and her staff our excellent hosts. Cabins are very nice, and you should have a fun time.
LOL guts