• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Kab 30th - 4th/ any help?

Never been to Kabetogama or Namakan. We are going to camp east side of Kab somewhere. Any suggestions on what type of areas to fish for walleyes at this time? How has the cold spring affected the fishing? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

BJ,
I presume you mean the East end of Kab., giving you good access to Namakan.

That being the case, you want to fish in areas near deep water that have a reef, ledge or shoreline closeby. This time of year is usually more predictable for fishing but the cool water cooler summer than the norm puts us back about three weeks from the norm. Minnows and leeches still the best bait choices.

If you lindy rig(use slip sinker forward of the bait) I would suggest doing that so you can cover more area. When you locate an active school of eyes, see if you can vertical jig that spot. Areas to try might be mouth of blind ash, outside of long slough, the favorable rocks or reefs around green island, where the wind works for you.

In Namakan, you might try Junction bay, tar point, or Mica bay, on the South arm of Nam, you might try Hoist bay. guts

Guts,

Thanks for the help. We'll try to make good use of it.

Big Jim

Will be there the same time. I have the best luck using chartruese colors, on lindy rigs. prefer small spinner with float and red hook with nightcrawler or leech. try 18-20ft water, watch the wind..

I've never had to go longer than 4' on kab/nam. There is some stain to the water, secchi reading is around 7' if memory serves me correct.
Mica bay is on the way up toward Kettle Falls. It extends westerly off the channel (border) and is before squirrel narrows, about 3 miles from kettle and about 10-11 from Ash river.
Xplorer

Ten of us from Northern Minnesota just came back from spending a week fishing out of the Ash River. We fished the West end of Kab and down into Junction Bay on Namakan. The only producing baits were 1/2 crawlers on a jig or snell rig; also a snell rig and jumbo leech produced about equally well.

Does the length of the snell make a big difference? Down here on Mille Lacs sometimes we have better success with 6 to 7 foot lengths.
Also where is Mica Bay? I cant seem to see it on my map.
Thanks

[This message has been edited by BigJim38 (edited 06-28-2004).]

DLR, I looked for you last week but didn't notice your boat but then there was a lot of traffic. I fished mostly in Namakan too. The wind was so bad that it was hard to get out on Kabby most days.It took me several days but I did find a bunch of fish and did real good considering the weather. I found the most fish in 23 to 34 ft and had the best luck on minnows.

Dan