• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

September advice

My brothers and I are looking to chase Walleyes in late September and are interested in Kab/Namakan area. We loved fishing Crane lake in the past early in the year but have not fished the other lakes in the chain very much. We're interested in Walleyes and SM Bass mostly. Looking for advice on lodging that is close to potentially good fishing areas and presentation/depth to target. Shotguns are usually used more at that time of year than fishing rods for my family so we're not accustomed to late season tendencies. Thanks in advance!

[This message has been edited by Doc Madison (edited 06-16-2004).]

Our group usually goes up every September for four days around the third weekend of the month. This year we will be up there the 16-20th. Our best luck has been in deeper water and/or on transition areas. One of the best spots for us has been the north edge of the saddle area between Little Richie and shore. Vertical jigging the breakline with minnows or leeches (if you can find any that time of year)has always been pretty good. The mouth of the Ash River, the mouth of Blind Ash Bay and the mouth of Ek Bay have all been really good September spots too. Last year we caught quite a few fish using leeches on Lindy rigs back and forth across the mouth of Ek Bay. Usually in 20+ feet of water. We also fish the reef on the southeast side of Pincherry, the saddle area between the Martin Islands and the deeper water on either side of the Yewbush Islands where the boating channel goes through.

As for lodging, the lake association has a website. Type Kabetogama into your browser and it will come back with the association's site. It will give you a listing of all of the resorts.

------------------
Kab Dreamin

"Lost Bay is the place to be"

[This message has been edited by Kab Dreamin (edited 06-16-2004).]

Kab Dreamin -
Thanks for the info. How about Namakan? Is one lake better than the other that time of year for larger fish and Smallies? Also.. where's a good place to get bait. We may try to get leaches in the Cities before leaving but they may not be available anywhere. Thanks again for the input!! Anyone else have any sage wisdom?! smile.gif

ps We'll be there the same time - hopefully we'll meet you for a cold one on the lake.

[This message has been edited by Doc Madison (edited 06-16-2004).]

I'm probably the last guy you would want to ask about Namakan. I have the worst luck down there. I've only caught fish a couple of times when I've been down there and they were a lot of little ones. Got them off the southwest side of Pike Island.

We've done pretty good on the smallmouth fishing for walleyes in September so I have to believe that if you actually target them, you'll do really well. We have caught them in Lost Bay, Ek Bay, Long Slough, the west end of Cuculus, the south side of Knox and the saddle area between Little Richie and the shore.

As for bait, you can get it at the resort you are staying at or two other places. Gateway Store, right where you turn off of Hwy 53 has bait as does Bait & Bite, just up the road towards the lake about 3/4 of a mile.

We'll be staying at Pine Aire Resort and driving a blue Alumacraft Trophy 190 with a Minnkota hanging on the front of it. You won't miss me, I'm 6'6" and tip the scales at 350. Give me a holler if you see me.

------------------
Kab Dreamin

"Lost Bay is the place to be"

[This message has been edited by Kab Dreamin (edited 06-17-2004).]