Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
MNSkin

Going to Kab for the 3rd straight year on Saturday and have a few questions?

MNSkin

Never been to Kab this early in the year and was wondering what kind of bait would be best to try for eye's. Thinking that leeches will be the choice and if they are was wondering if the Gateway store would be the best bet for leeches. We are staying at Nothern Lights so we will be driving right by the gateway. Any fishing tips would be apreciated. Thanks for any response's. Tracey

1Warrior

MNSkin--
If you get any hot tips let me know. I also will be coming to Kab on Saturday, and staying at Northern lights. We will be staying in the Musky cabin--how about you. We have been coming to Kab this week for many years, and have done fairly good. The cold water has made the fishing different this year so a person is going to have to go fing the fish. I hope with the recent warm weather the fish will get back into their old patterns. I have a green Warrior boat with a 125 Merc--stop and trade fishing stories.

MercMan

1Warrior and MNSkin, We're in the same boat (pun intended). However, I've got an extremely reliable fishing info source. Actually, my cousin is sitting on Kab right now. He's been up there since Saturday. He called me this morning and said that Sat and Sun were really slow, but the action picked up yesterday/last evening. Last night they boated 15 walleyes/sauger and kept 8. All caught in 8-12 feet of water in Peterson Bay. He said Tom Cod Bay is dead right now. I'm heading up late Wednesday night and will be there Thursday-Sunday and leaving Monday, so we should be getting there just at the right time. The baitfish are starting to move into the shallows and the fish will follow. I'm going to target windswept shores (anywhere from 8-15 feet)in the AM and PM, and during the day go deeper and/or go after the pike and smallies. I'm going to use minnows (fatheads, rainbows, doesn't seem to matter) and plain hooks, jigs, and spinners and see what they like best. We've tried leeches and crawlers up there in the past, but they just didn't seem to put up the numbers like minnows do. I'm driving a black Lund Pro Sport with a 115 Mercury and a 9.8 Mercury kicker. My fishing partner usually wears a bright yellow jacket that stands out like a beacon. If you see me swing by. We can be just about anywhere but usually we hang around the Martin Island area, Sugarbush Island area, Cutover Island area, Shipwreck Islands area, and westward. This trip we may be in the Peterson Bay area. Good luck! MercMan

MNSkin

1Warrior and MercMan, Thanks for the reply we are staying in the Deer cabin, I'll have to stop by. The guy I work with and one of my customers have fished there quite a bit and one has good luck with spinners and the other with lindy rigs. I think if you find them they shouldn't be to hard to get to bite. MercMan where do you usually try for northerns or smallies. My Dad likes to catch northerns and has never really got into them on Kab.
1Warrior have you been to Northern Lights before? If so how did you like it????

MercMan

MNSkin, I've caught quite a few pike up there by accident fishing walleyes. However, when I target them I usually go to the shallow, weedy areas and cast spoons. Cast one color/kind for a while and then switch to something else. You can't have too many different kinds of spoons. It seems like I've had the best luck with the ugliest, most beat up spoons I have. Mepps spinners work well also. Some areas that are good are: Irwin Bay, Daley Bay, and Nebraska Bay. Anywhere that there is emergent and submergent vegetation will hold pike. You have to be patient and keep working different spoons and keep moving. If you keep at it, you will catch some. I usually go after the pike around noon since the walleye bite is non-existent on bright days. Pike will bite anytime. I usually can boat at least one per day, sometimes more. The 2-3 pound pike are dang good eating this time of year. For smallies I target the rocky shallow shorelines. #7 or #5 crankbaits work well. Blue is a good color as is blaze orange. Again, keep moving and try new things. The better time for going after smallies is the morning. Good luck and hope to see you up there. I'm heading out tonight (Wednesday). Later!

dearskin, just got back...stayed at ash river. minnow fisherman did no better than us using worms and leeches. EVERYBODY was wondering what's up w/ the wally bite. very slow but the smally bite was great. wolfe and east end were giving up a few wally...seemed 18-20 was best after 7:00. p.s. sullivan bay REAL slow