Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
WoodlandSavage

LAKE TROUT

WoodlandSavage

Does anyone fish for lakers up on Namakan, Kabetogama, or Sand Point?

I've been going up there for a few years now and I always do real well fishing for Walleyes/Bass/Northern. I'd like to expand into catching some Lake Truot, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Where's the best spot to catch them? What's the best way to catch them? Any advice?

great fishing 4-U

I have been to kabetogama about 5-6 times and I have never heard anything about lake trout on kab. If there are I would like to know.

------------------
great fishing to all

great fishing 4-U

I just checked the DNR lake survey for sand point, namakan, kabetogama, and rainy. No mention of lake trout so my guess is there are none.

------------------
great fishing to all

great fishing 4-U

woodlandsavage

I agree with you the lake survey just means they just did not net any, but there might be some. a big deep clean lake like kab & namakan could hold some. I will be up at kab in mid August and would love to try for some. I hope someone has more info than I do. I will be watching this post for more info. If you hear of anything please post.

WoodlandSavage

great fishing 4-U, sounds great. We'll have to see if anyone else knows anything about it.

When I drive over those depth in Sand Point that are more than 100' deep, I'm graphing fish on the finder. I wouldn't doubt if they're lakers down there.

------------------
_ _________________ _
The Woodland Savage

Grrr baby, very grrr

IFallsRon

I don't know why there wouldn't be lake trout. I've caught trout on the Canadian side on lakes that flow in to Rainy.

I've mainly used cowbells and smelt.

[This message has been edited by IFallsRon (edited 05-21-2004).]

WoodlandSavage

Thanks great fishing 4-U.

I'm still not convinced about it. I know there are some lakers in the near-by lakes up there (Superior National Forest & BWCA). The lakes are definately deep enough to sustain lake trout.

I don't really put too much stock into what the DNR surveys have to say about a fish population. The surveys for Sand Point only said there were 3 smallmouth bass caught. Well I catch about 8 times that amount when I go up in June. Just because they didn't catch them, doesn't mean they're not in there. Plus, when they do the surveying, it's summer and lakers can be hard to catch in the summer because they're so deep.

If you look-up lake MUKOODA (just west of Sand Point), you see that the DNR caught lake trout in that lake in 2002 and it's only 78 ft. deep. That leads me to believe that there could be lakers in Sand Point.

But it's probably a lost cause because there are either so few fish, or they are too deep to fish in June or July.

Just my thoughts...

fishkab

Woodland, there are no lake trout in Kabetogama or Namakan. East of Sand point there are trout in David lake and Lac LaCroix, There are also trout in Mukooda and Little Trout lakes. I believe some of the resorts on Crane have boats in Mukooda. It is much deeper than 78 ft. Little trout is a short portage from Grassy bay on Sand Point lake. Good Luck Fishkab

WoodlandSavage

fishkab,

Why do you think there are no lake trout in Kabetogama or Namakan?

Just wondering what you think...

------------------
_ _________________ _
The Woodland Savage

Grrr baby, very grrr

Puppy Kicker

Woodland Savage,
Get it through your head there are no Lake Trout in Kab, or Sand Point Or Nam. You can argue all you want, and disbelieve what you want but there arn't any there. How do I know? I have a submarine and I spend at least 4 hours a day down in the deep looking for the elusive critter. Just messing with you. I talked to Derek last night and convinced him to carry all of our gear in. We should get together this weekend to pack.
Puppy Kicker

WoodlandSavage

Puppy Kicker,

You really are a puppy kicker. We'll see ya up there next week.

------------------
The Woodland Savage

"Grrr baby, very grrr!"

turtleboy

Wood, don't believe these so called experts. The DNR doesn't want to admit that they accidentally stocked the Shoepack strain of Lake Trout in Kab in the 1980's. I have caught many over the years. Many "experts don't recognise these as lakers because like their counterpart the Shoepack strain of Muskie, the are smaller than ordinary Lakers, and have a different coloring pattern. Most people mistake them for Whitefish! Good luck on your quest, and if you see PK tell him to change his name.

WoodlandSavage

turtleboy,

Now that's the kind of conspiracy theory I'm looking for. How have you fished for those lakers?

------------------
The Woodland Savage

"Grrr baby, very grrr!"

turtleboy

Can't reply in detail because I'm loading up the truck for this weekend's Kab trip. Best success has been surface buzzing with spinnerbaits mid-lake. Adding pork rind helps, but even better is a strip of old shoe leather. Say hi to hushpuppy.

Kab Dreamin

I think I saw a black helicopter stocking the elusive Shoepack lake trout. It was a small helicopter. Must have been a stunted strain.

------------------
Kab Dreamin

"Lost Bay is the place to be"

WoodlandSavage

LOL!!!!!!!!!

------------------
The Woodland Savage

"Grrr baby, very grrr!"