• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I have been coming up to Kab for almost 20 years now, and I have not caught any Pike over 8 lbs or so in quite some time. I remember Sucker Creek and the Camel Back Islands producing some big Pike in the past... I am coming up May 19-23rd, and again in June... Mostly a walleye fisherman, but I enjoy throwing some spoons in the afternoon.. any suggestions for big pike, or have they vanished on Kab!!????

M 101,
There are still lots of big pike around, but they are very elusive. That time frame should be fair, but not as good as mid-summer/late fall.

The spots you mentioned are good, depending
on weather and water temps. If there is water flow from sucker creek and clyde creek and any minnows running, that area of the North shoreline should be good.

Tom Cod bay outside the weedlines is good, Peterson bay is excellent now that we have good water levels. Slatinski bay if it is not closed off for eagle nesting, way into Daily bay/brook, Nebraska Bay is always one of my favorites, as good walleye fishing in the same area. In addition to cranks, light northern minnows and a bobber can be excellent. Hope that helps, guts <{{{{><

Thanks for the advice GUTS! You are an excellent resource for the Kab info... I am assuming the 13 -17 inch slot is still in full effect? I am going to print off your post and give all of those areas a shot.. thanks!

marcpers 101

Ypu are right, the walleye slot is 13-17", and we should have an abundance of slot fish now for several years. They just finished test netting crappies in a survey and the eyes they netted showed the spawn cycle should be at a close now. Lets hope they winds stay down so we have a good hatch.

Incidentally, the pike has a state reg of only one over 30", limit of three. Namakan has a limit of 6. LOL, guts <}}}}><

marcpers101...

We have a group that will be up the same weekend 21st-23rd. Haven't fished this lake for about 10 years. I have a 16-5 Lund Predator (blue) with a 50 Yamaha tiller. If you see us fishin' stop and say hi!

Fish On! grin.gif
The Fishin' Engineer

Hey Guts,
when was this crappie survey done? Within the last week?

Guts,
Do you think Nebraska Bay will hold walleyes opening weekend? I think we are going to try for northerns there and wouldn't mind trying for some walleyes if it doesn't pay off. We have always had good luck off of both sides of blunt island near the rocks in June, but how deep do you think they will be now?
Thanks.

Marcpers101,
We have caught several pike between 13-20lbs during opening week over the last couple of years. We have found that the larger the fish, the slower they are at that time of year.
A very slow twitching action on the Rappala husky jerk has produced the majority of the big fish. The next thing that works well for us is dead bait at the bottom of a channel leading into a bay.
The rappala method landed us two 7 lb walleyes last year as a bonus. I hope this helps. Fish on in 3 days!

Farley;
The DNR test nets spring and fall the various species. This sampling was done I think for size, checking growth rates and sampling spawn from females, if I see one of the DNR folks I'll ask, the info came second hand to me. guts

Gman, yes, I think the inside of Nebraska bay the shallow bar on the backside of Blunt may hane some walleyes holding, if they are shallow, the eastside of b
Blunt on th gravel, (watch for rocks), and if they happen to be deep out in front of Blundt, depending on wind.

You might try the shallow bar at Chase Island, and the unmarked rock bar running off Pine Islandfront side and sand bar off the East end. Good luck guts

Thanks for the advice everyone! I am sure I will see some of you out there.. Red Lund.. 86' 16-footer.. old school- see ya

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.