Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
marcpers101

Big Pike

marcpers101

I have been coming up to Kab for almost 20 years now, and I have not caught any Pike over 8 lbs or so in quite some time. I remember Sucker Creek and the Camel Back Islands producing some big Pike in the past... I am coming up May 19-23rd, and again in June... Mostly a walleye fisherman, but I enjoy throwing some spoons in the afternoon.. any suggestions for big pike, or have they vanished on Kab!!????

guts

M 101,
There are still lots of big pike around, but they are very elusive. That time frame should be fair, but not as good as mid-summer/late fall.

The spots you mentioned are good, depending
on weather and water temps. If there is water flow from sucker creek and clyde creek and any minnows running, that area of the North shoreline should be good.

Tom Cod bay outside the weedlines is good, Peterson bay is excellent now that we have good water levels. Slatinski bay if it is not closed off for eagle nesting, way into Daily bay/brook, Nebraska Bay is always one of my favorites, as good walleye fishing in the same area. In addition to cranks, light northern minnows and a bobber can be excellent. Hope that helps, guts <{{{{><

marcpers101

Thanks for the advice GUTS! You are an excellent resource for the Kab info... I am assuming the 13 -17 inch slot is still in full effect? I am going to print off your post and give all of those areas a shot.. thanks!

guts

marcpers 101

Ypu are right, the walleye slot is 13-17", and we should have an abundance of slot fish now for several years. They just finished test netting crappies in a survey and the eyes they netted showed the spawn cycle should be at a close now. Lets hope they winds stay down so we have a good hatch.

Incidentally, the pike has a state reg of only one over 30", limit of three. Namakan has a limit of 6. LOL, guts <}}}}><

engr693

marcpers101...

We have a group that will be up the same weekend 21st-23rd. Haven't fished this lake for about 10 years. I have a 16-5 Lund Predator (blue) with a 50 Yamaha tiller. If you see us fishin' stop and say hi!

Fish On! grin.gif
The Fishin' Engineer

Farley

Hey Guts,
when was this crappie survey done? Within the last week?

g man46

Guts,
Do you think Nebraska Bay will hold walleyes opening weekend? I think we are going to try for northerns there and wouldn't mind trying for some walleyes if it doesn't pay off. We have always had good luck off of both sides of blunt island near the rocks in June, but how deep do you think they will be now?
Thanks.

Pikefisher

Marcpers101,
We have caught several pike between 13-20lbs during opening week over the last couple of years. We have found that the larger the fish, the slower they are at that time of year.
A very slow twitching action on the Rappala husky jerk has produced the majority of the big fish. The next thing that works well for us is dead bait at the bottom of a channel leading into a bay.
The rappala method landed us two 7 lb walleyes last year as a bonus. I hope this helps. Fish on in 3 days!

guts

Farley;
The DNR test nets spring and fall the various species. This sampling was done I think for size, checking growth rates and sampling spawn from females, if I see one of the DNR folks I'll ask, the info came second hand to me. guts

guts

Gman, yes, I think the inside of Nebraska bay the shallow bar on the backside of Blunt may hane some walleyes holding, if they are shallow, the eastside of b
Blunt on th gravel, (watch for rocks), and if they happen to be deep out in front of Blundt, depending on wind.

You might try the shallow bar at Chase Island, and the unmarked rock bar running off Pine Islandfront side and sand bar off the East end. Good luck guts

marcpers101

Thanks for the advice everyone! I am sure I will see some of you out there.. Red Lund.. 86' 16-footer.. old school- see ya