• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

spring trolling

Looking for spring trolling tips. I have been trolling a late summer pattern on the big v and have been catching bigger fish. Now want to try it on my mid may trip to Kabe. I would guess shallower,slower,boards might help,smaller baits than with my summer pattern but your opions would sure speed up the process. One more thing,I have more success when lure is banging bottom any comments? CJ

CJ
First off I definitely agree with banging or having the lure occasionally contact the bottom. Its worked that way all my life.

I always trolled until I got better using live bait. Spring is live bait time, however shallower raps, reef runners, the new glass husky jerks are all good shallower bait presentations. Since eyes school pretty good in the spring, casting is or may be a better choice.

Shallow bays such as Tom Cod, backside of Cutover, Ettlin Island area and etc. you could use a shallow runner keeping close to a consistent breakline.

In general, the eyes caught by lure tend to be over the slot size, and no doubt, you may catch more pike then eyes, and they can easily destroy a rap in one shake.

Good luck, guts < ))))))><

hey guts,

Why do you think that is that banging the bottom catches more fish. Is that because the walleye are always on the bottom.

CJ