• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake levels

I've been reading some of the posts regarding the snow depth that you have up by Kab., do you think there's enough snow to improve the lake level for soft water fishing? Last year I was up there over Memorial week and the harbor where we stayed only had about 10" of water, BRRRRRR, my feet got cold getting the boat in and out of the harbor.

Ole

Ole1855, How did the fishing go that week? We were up there the weekend after memorial and did well in shallow water,5'-12'. We mostly fished the back side of Cutover Island. Also the shoreline by Ellsworth Rock Garden in and along the weeds. Most fish were between 19" and 24" which was fine as long as we had enough slotters for a 5 man supper which wasn't a problem. Anyway I was just wondering if this was normal for early season up there.

------------------
Marble-Eyes - They're not for suckers!!!

Wally,
The weather didn't cooperate much, it was kinda cold, rainy and very windy. We caught our fair share of fish but not like I had in previous years. We spent most our time working the west end of the lake, we caught some all over. One thing we did do and managed to catch quite a few was fish off the dock at the resort, most of the fish were saugers but we did have a few walleyes mixed in. The owner of the resort said they had a big crew up there on opener and everyone fished off the dock and real well.

Ole

OLE 1855
Good question, glad you asked we have had 50" plus of snow thus far, thats for than double the norm. The precip. related to water or rain is about 1" per foot of snow, so at this time we have about the equivalent of 2" of rain to melt off into the basin, 1' of rain usually adds about 10" to the lake level. Depending on the damm operations we have an ideal situation for excellent water levels. We are concerned that we may again have high water if we have to fast of meltoff or excessive spring rains. We can just about guarantee that we won't have low water come spring time.

Sring fishing should be second to none this year with big fish and slot fish, the previous years it was tough to catch slot fish, this year there should be a good population of them. Good luck, guts

Thanks Guts,
I appreciate the response. Sounds good too, the low water levels last year was kind of a bummer, it's good to know this year should be better.

Ole

Guts
I've only fished Kab. 3-4 times, I stayed last year at a resort down near, I think it was called, Peterson's Bay. Can you help me out with any strategies and areas? I don't want to take any of your secret spots but any help would be appreciated, what I'm looking to get from you is areas, islands, depths etc....

Thanks Ole

Ole, from that area of the lake, it is important to know what time of year you are coming up. That end of the lake is great in the spring, and things change as the water warms up. I'll be happy to fill ya in a little, fishing should be great on that end of the lake this spring. guts

We'll also be staying on that end of the lake. Heard alot of talk about Tom Cod Bay last year but never made it their. We mostly fished weed edges and did pretty well. How might that change this year with the higher water levels? How do people fish Tom Cod jigs lindy's ect.? What water temp do the fish start moving deep and towards the ash river. We'll be up from June 3rd through the 6th.
One other thing is where are the smallies this time of year. We only hooked 1 or 2 last spring between 5 of us?

------------------
Marble-Eyes - They're not for suckers!!!

WO, I hope fishkab hops on and helps me with this one. Generally Tom Cod is only hot for the first 2-3 weeks of the spring. The use floating jigs with minnows, 1/8 jigs and minnows, slip bobber and minnow or any other shallow water presentations. As the season moves forward and temps come up, the better method seems to be heavier jig and minnow, lindy rig and minnow, maybe a leech and either jig.

In June as you mentioned, the walleyes seem to move into slightly deeper water, or near the weed edges as you found out. Reefs off Ram, Harris, Sheep and even Yewbush Is. seem to produce steadily. A popular spot is the tripod on the other side of Cutover or over towards Donut Is.

Somtimes the water inflows at Clyde Creek or Sucker Creek can be excellent depending on the baitfish runs.

As for smallmouth early in the season, I don't fish them so I'm unsure where a consistent spot may be, hopefully fishkab, a damm good guide on this lake maybe able to lend some advice. Good luck guts

fishkab - just wondering how many years you been guiding on KAB? I'm bringing up my family over Memorial and may need to hook up
with you. Do you ever pull flatfish (pinko's)at this time of the year?

President Lakertaker, I've been guiding on these lakes for a few years. First trip at 17 yrs. old and now well into the prime 50's... Pinko's can be deadly as you probably know. Trollem if you have'em... Fishkab

Wally, for the time of year, early June, a good thing to pay real attention to is the wind. Fish the windy shores, and this is especially true if the wind stays in the same direction for a few days straight. The Tom Cod and Peterson Bay bite is directly related to the perch and lakeshiner spawn. Both are large areas of dark bottom and are like big flats.. The water temp in those bays gets into the mid 60's and things really start to happen. That varies from year to year.. Fish them on long lines, get away from the boat. Smaller minnow imitation cranks, and have all three, minnows, leeches, and crawlers on lindys with longer leaders. Most of these fish will be 8 to 12 feet of water. the Smallies will be in deeper water and again depending on water temp will move in to spawn. here look of shorelines that have small sandy coves with adjacent shorelines of rock rubble. The fish will spawn on the sand right next to the rock. If they haven't moved in fish the deeper water out of front of those areas. Fast, deep, diver cranks, Killer B's etc. will get them. Or lively leeches or crawlers on a slip bobber in the deeper water will entice them. Good luck Fishkab

Good conversation here, Guts, I usually fish Kab in late May or early June, and we have done pretty good in the past. Just wondering if there's any key areas to work. I usually try to fish the wind swept points and shoreline, but sometimes the little lady comes along and she doesn't like the wind too much, she's definitely a fair weather fisherman.

Thanks for all the replies.

Ole

OLE
The windswept shores, is the best, second best would be current. On the Tom Cod end of the lake, you have Gold Portage, Clyde Creek, Sucker Creek and some of the bays on the North Shore or Kab peninsula have tributaries flowing thru them. In or near these currents can provide some action, as baitfish are usually in that vicinity.

The three sister island group has many depths, reefs and various types of bottoms and depending on water temps and post spawn period you should find schools in the area.

With the closeness of the islands side by side, some current flow is usually noted.

Another area that might be out of direct wind would be Yewbush Islands, either the channel or either side of the channel can be springtime good.

Hope this helps, and look for other posts, there will be lots of good info between now and then posted.

OLE
The windswept shores, is the best, second best would be current. On the Tom Cod end of the lake, you have Gold Portage, Clyde Creek, Sucker Creek and some of the bays on the North Shore or Kab peninsula have tributaries flowing thru them. In or near these currents can provide some action, as baitfish are usually in that vicinity.

The three sister island group has many depths, reefs and various types of bottoms and depending on water temps and post spawn period you should find schools in the area.

With the closeness of the islands side by side, some current flow is usually noted.

Another area that might be out of direct wind would be Yewbush Islands, either the channel or either side of the channel can be springtime good.

Hope this helps, and look for other posts, there will be lots of good info between now and then posted.