Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
MercMan

Need Fishing Report

MercMan

I'm heading up with the family on Saturday for a week in heaven. After reading the forums lately, it looks like the fishing is "up and down". We have some kids coming along (3 to 7 year olds) and we'll fish for whatever is biting. We're staying at a resort by the Kabetogama Visitor's Center (Harmony Beach) and don't want to stray too far to go fishing when the kids are with. What areas around there are good for taking kids? Like I said, bass, pike, eyes, sauger...doesn't matter. I haven't ever fished in that area. Can't wait to get out of here and on the way up north. MercMan

guts

mercman
there are a couple nice reefs out from Harmony Beach, but fishing may be difficult for the three year old. Are you bringing your own boat and motor? If you are, there is a nice little lake down the highway for panfish, little bass and etc that could help for the little fella. If the older child can cast, the shorelines have been good for a variety of fish. There are also a few good bays you could bobber fish and muster up some pike.
Good luck, post back with the boat thing,
guts < )))))><

MercMan

Hi Guts. Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm bringing my boat. 17 foot Lund Pro Sport with a 115 (Merc of course). I know what it's going to be like fishing with my 3 year old daughter. I'll be lucky to get in 45 minutes to an hour. Actually, she's pretty good in the boat. My nephew and neice twins (7 yr olds) can make it a few hours. I was taught years ago how to slip-bobber fish for northerns by my grandma and like that style of fishing. Throw your line over with a sucker minnow, kick back with a cool one and turn on the tunes. I'm thinking this would probably be best with the 7 yr olds since while the bobber is out there, we could pay attention to the kids. Plus a grownup can set the hook and let the kid reel, and the chances of the rod going over the side diminishes. I'm not ruling out going to a different lake for a couple of hours to get the kids consistent action. Of course in the mornings and evenings the grown-ups will be out there looking for those 'eyes, sauger, smallies, and pike. I'm sure the super friendy Carlson families at Harmony Beach will help me with some advice also. Gotta love that lake! Anything can happen and it usually does. Take care....MercMan