Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  

Cold Fronts

Hey Guts, what's this cold front gonna do to fishing. I have heard/read that fronts don't have much effect on walleyes just that they don't like thunder bumpers. At least the rain has stopped - for now. We might try Black Duck this evening anyway.

guts

exoni
In my experience, cold fronts give you a good excuse for not having a good day.
Seriously though, I believe it really effects the shallow water fish on its initial onset.

Generally if you go a little deeper, slow up the presentation you can fair well, seems to me that a jig and minnow work best immediately after a frontal change. Once the front is stationary, go back to your normal offering and presentation.

This front follows a lot of rain and wind, both of which stir things up alot, kicking up lots of natural feed, once again in the shallows, one more reason to go deeper, but stay on the windswept side of the reefs or islands. LOL, guts, <}}}}><

Thanks Guts, now all I have to do is figure out the wind ! Seems like it keeps changing on us. Good reason to go to Black Duck - I can just drift around the island and follow the wind wink.gif
We have a cabin reserved for last full week of Sept. Can't wait for that time of year but we still have lots of fun on Kab/Nam during summer. We are usually on the lake at least once a week all summer. With that much time there, I'm still learning lots.

Guts, we fished Black Duck last night, sat through 2 squalls, did not catch any walleyes or crappies but caught plenty of smallies - one was 20.5" long - weighed 5.2 lbs. Also plenty of very large sunnies. had a great time ! Actually my first time on the lake - definately have to give it another look.

great on the smallies ....exzoni!.......I knew they were in there!...tough on the walleyes and crappies though.....a front must have come through and turned em off...certainly give the lake another try....jon

Jon, I intend to but will hit Kab this Wed. I am taking off Wed-Sat. maybe hit B.D. on Sat. You are right, we had some squalls come through and turned fishing right off. I'm still confused about what effect weather has on fish. I do know we had a tough time getting a bite after those storms moved through even though it turned into a beautiful evening after. Talked to a guy who was fishing in Ontario just North of us and he nailed em in the same kind of weather ??

Exzoni...I see Tom B.(from work) will be at Kabby ( camped at wooden frog) from wed- sunday....maybe you'll bump into him up there....jon