• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Elephant/Crane

Has anyone fished Elephant, Pelican or Crane Lake in the month of June? If so I'm interested in the place you stayed and how you did fishing. Looking @ a family fishing trip next year.

[This message has been edited by Cobra (edited 01-26-2003).]

I have been going to crane lake about twice a month in the summers for the last ten years. Your family will have an enjoyable time at Crane lake. I would HIGHLY recommend Nelson resort to stay at .They have everything you need. Nice cabins ,excellent food ,bar , rec room , sandy beach, boat rental,fishing guides ,near walking trail . I should have looked up there web site for you. As far as fishing goes if you want huge Walleye you need to go up the crane lake chain into Namaken lake . Crane Lake has a lot of fish but not any hugh ones . You will definately catch fish . Usually July and August are better for the Walleye. Once you go to Crane Lake you will never want to go any place else.

Not a lot of small mouth action on Crane .Mostly Walleye, Northern and Crappie. But you can get some .The spots that I've gotten them most is the North side of the big island , the island has a few names, Bear, Big Bear or Baylis, most people call it Bear island . Also in front of Pine Point Lodge on the West side of the lake. watch for rocks in that spot.The rock bass fishing was real good last year at the north end of Little Bear island which is next to Bear island

Thanks for all that responded!

I have posted another note with an expanded search because I realized I might be leaving out some good lakes that I don't know about.....

Thanks again!

What about the smallmouth fishing on Crane? Is it any good or should I look else where?

I heard that there are plenty of excellent resorts on Crane Lake. Not just the one mentioned. Borderland Lodge for example. Is this true, anyone?

[This message has been edited by S. P. Ogren (edited 01-27-2003).]

There is a resort on Elephant called Melgeorge's. I fished Elephant over Memorial Day weekend and caught a 5 lb walleye and a 16" crappie amongst others.

TL

There are ton's of great little lakes around there. I have been fishing that area from Kab to the ely area since 1974. We stayed on Pelican again last year, but only fished it once. Killed the crappie and smallies on Elephant. Hammered the walleyes on Kab. That's until we got about 11 inches of rain on a Monday....All those lakes can be good..www.pelicanlakeresorts.com lists quite a few.....Myrtle Lake is close and "loaded" with panfish....Not real huge, but plenty of fish..It's a great spot to take some kids!! We have had the best luck the last week of May or the first week of June..Good luck!

My family has gone to Crane lake the week after opener in May several years. Walleye are stacked up in the river near Pine Point lodge. Last year caught a 25" and 30" as well as good numbers in the slot. Several years ago caught probably 100 fish/person in this same area using split shot and red hook with leeches. Always have outfished surrounding boats during this time as we were generally the only ones fishing with leeches. I don't even purchase minnows anymore when going. My wife also tied into a number of smallies last year which got her fired up as she's not much of a fisherperson and I want to get her more interested. Crane Lake is awesome.