• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Spring Time spots up thar

Hi,
My family (self, wife, lilluns & outlaws) are all planning to go to Kab(west end) Memorial week, and we're a bit divided. Some of us (me) would like to fish all day, every day on Kab for 'eyes, but others have neither the patience nor the desire (lilluns).

What's up close to there for
a) smaller lakes with a wider species variety
B) family-appeal outdoor activities
for little day-trips.

or even parts of Kab that aren't all walleye. A lake that big can't be entirely void of panfish...or can it?

Thanks in advance,

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

I am with you on fishing Kab walleyes all day every day, but there are many other activities to partake around Kab.

There are hundreds of bays and miles of shoreline to work if the family is interested in hunting northerns.

Visiting The Rock Garden and Kettle Falls hotel are activities the family may enjoy. These destinations are only accessible by boat.

The USFS has rowboats and canoes scattered around on smaller lakes off Kab. Check the visitor centers to get more info about the boast and canoes that can be "checked out".

Woodenfrog has short canoe trips and 1 to 2 hour wildlife seminars a few times during the week.

Check out Voyageurs Adventures if you have interest in kayaking or any other outfitter type activity.

Pedaling a bike is enjoyable because of the scenic surroundings.

These are a few activities. I am certain others on this board can think of more.

Enjoy

Marmot

RobertC, You must make a run up to the Kettle Falls Hotel but make sure you have a map, compass and know how to use 'em.

Make sure you get to the Ash River visitors center to see the short movie about Voyager's National Park and check out the gift shop. Also, at the visitors center, you can reserve a canoe or row boat at one of the walk-in lakes near Kab. I can personally vouch for Locator Lake although the 50 minute hike might be too much for small kids or older folks.

If you've never been to the bear sanctuary several miles southwest of Orr MN its well worth the short drive. Every evening except Monday you are able to see wild black bears come to be fed. Its really amazing and will maybe be the highlight of your kids vacation.

If your family enjoys pizza the Ash-Ka-Nam restaurant on the Ash River boasts the best homemade pizza in the area.

I'm sure the resort you're staying at will be able to suggest other activities but the above list is all "must see" in my opinion.

You'll have a great time. Polar Bear

[This message has been edited by Polar Bear (edited 01-04-2003).]

RC
Looks like other posts filled you in on activities. There are very few species of panfish in Kab or Nam. Crappies roam in Kab but difficult to find on that end of lake that time of year. The lake does have perch and small smallmouth bass that might be caught, if the water level is high enough, in Tom Cod bay/creek.

Depending on your mobility, afew good panfish lakes nearby are Ash Lake(crappies, sunnies, bass, perch and eyes) Elephant Lake and Myrtle Lake are smaller lakes near here that have an abundance of smaller eyes northerns and crappies.

If you can get the little people to hike, the Locator Trail is on the West end that leads to locator lake. That lake is loaded with pretty easy to catch largemouth bass, using mepps spinners and etc. It is an uphill route about 4 miles though that might be alittle much.

Finally, one of my favorites is Lost Bay on Kab that has a 100 yd. hike back to Ek Lake, which is loaded with small pike, perch and little bass, that can be caught from shore bobber fishing or get one of VNP's rowboats.

You can also do a little longer hike to Cruiser or Anges, both lakes have some fishing, but are known for Trout. Lost Bay itself has every species of fish in it that the lake contains.

Memorial weekend on the West and of Kab can be some of the lakes best fishing of the year depending on weather, Tom Cod bay might be alot of fun just for small walleyes and saugers, at any rate good luck and have a great time. <{{{{><

Thanks ya'll!!
We'll have two boats - my outlaws' SeaRay 18.5 for cruising and big-water stuff, and my 12' Alumibeater for the shallows and hauling to other lakes.

What's the fishing like on Ash River?

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

RC,

The term Ash River is pretty generic, the portion of the river most fished is the area by the resorts out to Sullivan bay. There are always pike being caught in the open water, but the river can be congested with boats throughout
Spring and Summer. Springtime and maybe around memorial weekend they often times have good crappie fishing, as well as in Sullivan Bay.

Sullivan Bay leads out to Kabetogama, that channel and opening into Kab. is and will probably be good fishing for walleye, sauger pike and occasionally nice crappies.

Sullivan Bay in the Spring is usually good fishing for spawning crappies, post spawn walleyes and hungry pike.. The main lake can be too rough for a 21' boat quite often and Sullivan Bay is always fishable and remains fairly calm, the current through that bay always blends to good fishing.

Good luck, and check this site closer to your vacation for updates. <{{{{{{><

Robert C,

I'll provide what info. I can that hasn't been covered by others. I spend every day doing my field research on/around Kab from early May to mid Aug, and fish about every other evening on average.

1) Memorial weekend is the first very busy time in the park. If you're planning on camping, plan on getting there early. Campsites are first-come first-serve and folks start filling them up on Friday evening. There is a limited number, and they go quick. If you're staying at a resort w/ reservations, then no problem. You can also stay at the Woodenfrog campground. Depends on how much of an outdoor experience you want. But if your planning on a lake campsite (nice for getting away from folks) take the above note to heart!

2) As I recall, Memorial Day weekend marks the time when the park service begins all of their daytime and evening programs (e.g. tours, evening activities, etc.). Pick up some info at a visitor center or any public boat access when you arrive and you'll have a complete schedule for your stay. They do charge for boat tours within the park, but there's lots of things to do that don't cost anything. Making a trip to Kettle Falls would definitely be worthwhile. The cost for the tour trip would add up for lots of people, but it might be offset by the hassle of navigating there (it's a bit tricky) and running gas through your boat.

3) Kab is predominantly a walleye lake. The slot limit imposed a few years ago has DEFINITELY improved the fishing. Five of the six largest eyes I've caught on the lake were last year; the second year after the slot. Should be good fishing for the future. There are decent pike in the lake, but I only occassionally fish them as the trophy potential is limited (same for walleyes but they taste better!). There are also some dandy smallmouth and they're a blast to catch. Not enough time/space here to cover techniques.

4) Panfish opportunities are limited. I do hit crappies in early May, mostly in Sullivan Bay and get some very nice slabs, but shift more to 'eyes at opener. I've never caught a crappie (or tried for that matter) on the main lake. For a switch, as others mentioned, a nice day trip would be to hike into Locator Lake. It's right around 2 miles, and the trail is pretty good. Starting last summer, the park service started charging $10 per day for the use of a boat/canoe on interior lakes, but as mentioned, there are plentiful and gullible LM bass in the lake as well as some nice pike.

5) Kab can get rough, but to say that it gets too rough for a 21 footer is an exaggeration unless you're a novice boater. We run an 18' Lund Alaskan, and I've only had a handful of occasions that I felt a bit nervous hitting the lake. Now there's been a number of times I wouldn't want to fish main areas, but there's lot of protected bays and leesides of islands to fish on windy days. Running the lake in rough weather can be slow and bumpy, but you'll be fine in a 21' boat. I'd save the 12 footer for calmer conditions, though!

6) If I've left anything out or you've got specific questions, email me at: [email protected]

------------------
Best FISHES,
Matt

• 2 weeks later...

You're right Dutchboy - it's a fantastic sight and all they ask is that when it comes time to buy gear, book a trip or whatever you need to buy for fishing (& don't we all!)try here first. My shopping list?

-Shore angler's companion rod-holder - it's better than anything I've tried to make, and it'll save me getting sand & crap in my reel.

-Bucket Buddy - All the bucketBoss products either have too many small pockets, not enough large ones, or both. The Bucket Buddy is perfect.

Please excuse the pitch, but bandwidth ain't free.

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC