• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

First timer to Ash River Vistor Center and Kettle Falls

I am headed for Kettle Falls this weekend for the first time. We will be coming via 53 from the Virginia are and puttng in at the Ash River Visitor Center.

Can anyone advise me of a good place in route to get bait or should I get it in Virginia?

P.S. - How's fishing?

[This message has been edited by Dr. Bob (edited 09-10-2002).]

DR.
You can get bait 3 miles North of the Ash River Trail turnoff at Gateway Store or your other options are Virgina I guess.

Fishing had been real good up until the cold front moved in. A relief from the heat is worth it though. I expect fishing to improve each day now that the weather is becoming consistent again.
Minnows are the best choice, using a jig or lindy rig I think the 30' range is going to be a good marker. For some reason Sauger were hitting is shallower water, but that has probably changed.. Pike are still very active, but I don't know of any real big guys. Weather looks pretty good some chance of rain, NW winds which is best for Kab.

You mentioned Kettle Falls Hotel, they could give you some good advice as well, I know its about time for Mica Bay to kick in along with a few other fall spots. Have fun, you'll need coats fo the AM and shorts for mid-day. <}}}}}>< ><{{{{{>

DB,
You can also stop at Cold Springs, which is 3 miles south of the Ash river turnoff. I have had good luck with their rainbow minnows on either a jig or lindy. Will you be fishing Namakan or Rainy (or both)??
I stayed in a cabin at Kettle the second weekend of August and Rainy was hot compared to Namakan/Kab (had been there the entire week before)
Good Luck, the eyes are gonna probably be deep (look deeper than you think, we found our nicest fish in 35-40' back in august)
Xplorer

DB,
Darn it, I wish you could edit these things!
I meant to add that the hours at cold spring seem to vary somewhat this time of year. Not sure how late they stay open after Labor day. If they aren't open its only 6 miles up to Phil's gateway store.
Xplorer

PS: Guts, do you know what they are putting in at the corner on the highway? They had it all cleared/dozed when we left in August, was wondering if someone is gonna put another gas/store at the ash river cutoff (what with the proposed campground at ash river, any truth to that rumor)? Have a great fall, wish I could get up but the 2 month old is keepin' me BUSY right now!!!!

DB,
Hard to say, really depends on what you consider too much. Check with the guys at kettle falls when you portage across, they were pretty informative on current info. We fished the first green bouy (cant remember the number, 37?) out in the main lake and did well. This reef extends north to the canadian border and we caught fish the entire length of it. Both eaters and larger fish to 23". You can go down farther and try Boob's island if it is calmer. Actually the river itself may produce, the area by the last few bouys before surveyors island (opening to the main lake) were suggested to us. We ran down as far as 12 miles from Kettle, you probably want to stay a bit closer, had one hairy ride back even in 19'/150hp boats.
The number for cold springs is 218-757-3191 if you want to check their hours for Sat.
We used lindy's and bouncers stricly and caught fish on both.
Xplorer

Dr.Bob/Explorer
First of all on the corner of 53 & Ash River Road, according to the paper, a fellow is putting in a huge gas station/c-store with everything, it sounds like a bigger store than down in Orr. The man must not have brains but lots of money, its surposed to be done by next May.

FISHING REPORT!!!
Kab/Nam fishing has picked up dramatically the last two days, don't know why but Jumbo perch, and sauger have been hittin well, jig and minnow. Mid-west outdoors was here filming of Kab Lake Assoc. adds and they were very, very impressed. Lots of fish being caught at 26-34' right now. I agree with explorer that the fish should be deeper but they are biting shallower right now.. Kab guides not hoppin on Rainy at this time, fishin has been good.

Gateway Store has good supply of bait now plus rainbows by the dozen or quart. They have changed their hours they are open weekdays and Sundays from 7am-8pm and
Fr/Sat from 7am-9pm.

DR. before jumping into Rainy I would try fishing the East end of Kab to include the mouth of Blind Ash (deep hole right out in front) and the mouth of Ash River entrance to Kab look fo the 28-32' shelf angles off to 45+'. Good Luck <}}}}}<

Thanks a bunch Guys! I can hardly wait til Saturday.

I will fish on Rainy if it is not to windy. All I have is an S16 Lund with a 25 hp. Do any of you seasoned Rainy fishermen know what the limits for this rig would be as far as direction and max wind in that area?

I think I will call the Lucky Seven store in Cook on Friday night to see if they have any Rainbows....... I just want to make sure I have them.

Explorer, an easy way to remember Kettle Falls number is it spells out 1-888-KFHOTEL.

For what it is worth, KFH usually shuts down with a big party the last weekend of September, however this year there is a wedding there that weekend and he will shut down the first weekend of October, he does occasionally keep the portage open an additional week, better check first. Rick has a great closing party the last weekend he's open, but I wouldn't recommend it for kids, it could be as in the past a little rowdy with locals and regulars.

When you stayed at Sunset did you rent the big deluxe unit they converted from their restraunt, I here it is very nice.

Have you ate or been to the new ASH-KA-NAM bar restraraunt on the river, it is really, really nice. <}}}}}>< ><{{{{{>

Hey Guts, You're right about the Ash-Ka-Nam bar. Its really nice. I heard they make a great pizza too. Its finally back on the right side of the road! Seems like it switches back and forth every few years.

I sure miss the Sunset bar though. We stayed at Hidden Hills many trips and the Sunset was within walking (stumbling) distance from camp. The Ash Trail Lodge is nice too after the remodeling 5 or 10 years back.

But I guess my sentimental favorite is still the Frontier. Ben is one of a kind. One night during happy hour my buddy and I both opened pull tabs with "double price" printed instead of the half price, full price, 50 cents etc. Ben saw the look on our faces and hollered "Its happy hour and its my turn to be happy g0d dammmit" ! He set us up good, and had the whole place roaring.

Man, I wish I was there right now...Polar Bear

guts,
Thats what I suspected, we stayed at sunset resort for a week and they said the park service was proposing putting in a fairly large campground near ash river landing. This guy might have inside info on that, and would probably do well in that spot when/if that develops. I'll still head to gateway or cold springs for my stuff tho, they've both been good to me.

Hey DB, if you dont mind, post your results when you get back. The Mrs said she might be interested in staying a night at kettle falls in the hotel yet this fall with "junior", so there is a chance i could be up there in the next few weekends. Do you have their phone #, i cant find it off the webdirectory, and their website is a blank page? Thanks, looks like your gonna have a pretty decent weekend weather-wise.
Xplorer

Thanks for all the info Guys!

I will get my bait at either Cold Springs or Gateway. I'd rather spend my $ locally anyway. The way things are going I am probably going to get a late start on Saturday so the time they open will not be an issue. I'm sure they will be open by the time I get there. It's been a hell of a week shocked.gif !

The reservation # for Kettle Falls Hotel is 888-534-6835. I got it off their website with no problems confused.gif .

I'll also give a report when I get back. My daughters are getting very excited about the trip!

------------------
Crank the Shank!

[This message has been edited by Dr. Bob (edited 09-12-2002).]

Guts,
When we stayed at sunset we were in my in-laws 5th wheeler. The new unit looked really nice, actually Joel was remodeling the cabin across the street from it while we were there, in the same style.Unfortunatly, the next week he ran his hand thru the miter saw (no lost fingers, but close I heard).
Didnt get a chance to eat at AKN, but might stay there if I go up next weekend(gotta find out if they rent out the small cabins for a single night) Will definitly check out rest/bar if we're there!!
If we went up to Kettle, our little one is only 3months old, too young to get corrupted wink.gif
Do you know Greg P.? He is a regular up there.I have been xchanging info with him the last couple of years on another site, and finally got to meet him this August while we were there. I imagine he might be up there for closing.

DB, I was using an older version of Netscape and only got a blank page, tried IE and had no problem getting in. We stayed in the villa that is pictured on the site, bear-something I think. Anyway, it was a nice unit, i think we've got it booked already for next August again. You guys/gals have a great one.
Xplorer

Dr.
I'm responding again about bait, I have found out that both Cold Springs and Gateway are ount of Rainbows, the range might be as well. I was told the rainbow source was damaged by last weeks hot weather, and there is a possibility that rainbows might be around Sun or Mon. For what its worth, fathead chubs are working just fine if you don't get rainbows. Both businesses have plenty of chubs.

The weather forecast for Saturday is expected to be quite windy, NW at 15-25 miles per hour, the guides that use 21' Barrons are cancelling some trips due to expected high winds on Sat. Sun. expected to be much better. Good luck, <}}}}}><

Thanks guts! I made some quick calls and found that Lucky Seven in Cook and Virginia are out also. I'll just get some regular chubs.

That wind won't stop me from getting to Kettle Falls and back will it?

Dr. Bob, before you leave you could check out the weather including the wind prediction on www.gatewaystorellc.com. that site has a weather link for Ray, Mn which is that zip code area. Starting to KFH from Ash River might be possible tommorrow and then again it might not be. There are several really windblown areas in route unless you take the back unmarked channel to get there. Another Sat. problem would be trying to fish Rainy with a NW wind over 20 mile an hour, I wouldn't venture out of the channel with a small boat and expect to fish unless you have a good troller and a couple drift socks. Windmill, Blueberry Is. and a feww other good areas near by will be difficult to fish in a strong wind.. Sun. is looking much better.

Thanks guts,

I do have a few miles under my belt and I think I can handle it. I guess that was a dumb question on my part - I'll just hug the NW shore as much as I need to on the way up and back. I do have brains enough to stay off of Rainy with that kinda wind. It does bumm me out though and I hope the weather clears so I can get in there on Sunday, otherwise I will have to hit Nam /Kab seriously.

Either way, I am sure we will have a blast.
Thanks for everything,

Dr. Bob

Well the Girls and I had a pretty good time even though we did not get into many hungry fish.

We went out on Rainy for a while on Sunday and all I could manage was one small bass. It was a pretty feeble attempt though. At the portage I spoke with one guy who was fishing just north of the first green bouy and he said he and his wife limited out there in about 45 minutes.

All we managed was 2 northerns, on walleye and a small bass for the day on Sunday. We got in too late on Saturday to fish. It was a beatiful time all in all, and they want to go back again.