• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

guts,
I have read a lot of your posts and it seems as though you know Kab quite well?

I am coming up the last week in September. any recommendations?

I will be putting in at the Ash river center, and camping everynight. I most likely will hit the Lost Lake site first then wonder around, maybe hitting Nam a day or two.

Walleyes still deep this time in Fall? When does the "typical" "turn" of the lake occur on Nam?

I know a few spots to keep me busy, but I am always open to suggestions and learning new spots. Heck if your up that way, look us up and I'll fry you up a few fresh "dogs" for dinner!

Thanks for the great info!!

Jim W

Hi Jim, Well I have come up to Kab for more years then I care to remember like a maybe 45 or so. I think when you said you are going to fish Lost Lake, you mean Lost Bay if you're going deep. The mouth of Lost Lake can be good crappie and somtimes good walleye and sauger fishing but usually later in the year or very early in the season. Lost Bay has some very good deep hole and fast breaking structures that yield fish nearly year around as well as weed openings in Long Slough. Late Sept. is generally good fishing and normally I would fish at 40 plus feet. I like spots like the mouth of Ash River if traffic is down. The hole outside the mouth of Blind Ash, the fast breaks off marker 38 outside of Slatinsky Bay, off the East side of Grave Island, and the small rockpile off marker 36 can be good. As for lake turnover, it depends on definition and who you talk to, my best guess based on the last couple of mild years would be the middle of October, or at least by the third week. The area usually starts getting good strong Northwest winds about then that seems to get the lake rolling. Hope the info helps and we can post later for a possible get together. This is a great site. see ya

Hey Jim, I just reread everything, all the ares I talked about were on Kab, sorry I'll post again with some Nam info, but I'm mainly a Kab man learning Nam. bye

guts,

Thanks for getting back!

My reference to Lost Bay was regarding camping, but now I have some fishing ideas as well! Thanks!!

I fished Kab last September, and caught most of my walleyes considerably shallower. Is this deep fishing something of a routine or comfort zone? You know, like using a favorite color of crankbait or jig?

ANother question. How about size of fish, coming from the 35+ feet of water?
We tried fishing deeper water, managing only cigar walleye?

I keyed in on the wind blown points and rock faces, catching a few decent walleye and losing one real nice fish, but the numbers weren't there.

I guess, speaking for myself I am curious about the deep water techniques you incorporate?! Bottom bouncers? SPinner rigs? Jigs? Deep crankin'?

SHould we look for certain transitions? What should the deep water run into or next to?
Or do we simply look for that depth and fish?

My friend and I will be relying on what we catch for our eats during our camp/fishing outing on Kab/Nam. That is why the specifics.

Again, thanks for the information and if your up that way, we'll have to hook up!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

Hey Jim W, I did reply to the last post, but I see it disappeared. I know they were changing servers and it said the post would be lost, let me know if you did not sse, and I will redo. Thanks!! This server is much, much quicker.

Jim,
What weekend will you be up there, 21/22 or 28/29? I am gonna try and get up camping one of those weekends with my neighbor (I'm lucky enough that I can go at the "spur of the moment" if need be), weather dependent. I'll keep an eye here for info and if i get up there will buy ya a cold one (or a warm one maybe grin.gif )
Xplorer

Xplorer,

I will be up there Sept. 25th through the 29th.
NOt sure if we will do the "base camp" thing, fishing from one campsite or move around.

Keep in touch as things draw nearer!

PS> I have a feeling that a "warm one" might be in order!

Jim W

Jim,
Just from personal experience, i would recommend going with the base-camp arrangement. Tearing down and resetting up takes up too much valuable fishing time!! You will most likely be fishing the mid/west end of Kab and far East end of Namakan, which are pretty easily accesible within a 20 minute ride from the campsites near lost bay. I always take a couple/three 5 gallon cans of gas extra, and then even if i do burn thru it I can just take 17 minutes and run the truck up from the ash river access to the gateway store and refill the cans.
I will have a hot whiskey/lemon/water at the campsite. I fished last year the second weekend of Sept and we fished 30-35' on Namakan and caught fish. Used mainly rainbow minnows and a few on crawlers on rigs and jigs.
Xplorer

Xplorer,

Well I hope I don't take your favorite camping site since we will be there mid week?LOL

I highly doubt there will be tooo many people camping so finding us shouldn't be all that difficult.

Jim W

Jim W. Sorry my last post didn't stick.
Deep fishing is a fall routine for locals, its the most consistent location for ole eyes. I also have my favorite jigs for Kab/Nam, they are collarless red/white/blue, or gold/red/black good proven color combos plus you can double hook your minnows. Some folks like gold plated, longer hook the better gold fire ball jigs have to short of hook.
The usual fish coming out of the 35' plus water are small slot size, if you are to deep you will get jumbo perch and occasional sauger. You will usually get bigger fish in shallower water, generally towards evening.
Jim, I'm not a good bottom bouncer fisherman, unless I use it with crankbaits, I do use spinner rigs with crawlers. My deep crankin is with bottom bouncers or lead line/casting reel.
As for transitions I like underwater reefs adjacent to sharp drops, then I like to fish the windward incline. Look at the FHS map and key in to structure outside Blind Ash Bay, and Slatinsky Bay , deep holes with various bottom changes, ie; vegetation, muck gravel and etc. This type situation is usually productive on Kab/Nam. Look close in Lost Bay and find Ek Bay, Long Slough or way into the bay, and you will see some good fishing structure. If I come up with a good hot spot I'll E mail ya.
Oh yea, Explorer there should"nt be to many campers up there that late in the season.
Good luck all,

guts,

Thanks for the info! I love to pursue walleyes in waters I have never or rarely fish.
You've given me some ideas to use, thanks!

Do you know if the Gateway has FHS maps? I have a Hot SPots map of Kab, but might need something more detailed.

Thanks again! Feel free to hunt me down if your over that way! OR if you ever find yourself down South in my kneck of the woods, look me up!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

Jim sorry I might have confused you about maps. The FHS map I was talking about is Fishing Hot Spots map which you have, to my knowledge that is the most detailed map at this time. A new depth/sounding map is being developed this year of Kabetogama. The Fishing Hot Spot map, (FHS) is carried by Gateway as well as the Fisher, and McKenzie maps, I prefer the FHS, course I personally know two of the folks that suggested a few proven hot spots, Dale & Jolynn. Incidently fishing is pickin up a little bit with the water temp going down.

guts,
Thanks for the info. I (as I am sure others too) will like to hear how the bite is going.

I will be on the water late morning on the 25th! Can't wait!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

• 2 weeks later...

xplorer and guts,

Hey, I heard a recent repo, entailing the levels are way down on Kab? SOmething in the order of 3 feet?
Hows the bite been?
Apparently, the bite is a lot shallower than expected? 15-20ft?

Gettin closer! I'll be on Kab in 22 days!

Jim W

Hi Jim,
THe lake levels are very much in line with the normal fall drawdown. My guess is the lake may be down 2' from summer high water tables. Right now, the lake is in its curve where it should be.

The latest word on fishing is the jig and minnow are the preference. Jigging at 28' to slightly deeper is most consistent, however the last heavy overcast days and cool nights have moved some eyes in closer. It may sound unusual, but they are lindy rigging with minnows fishing at 22-26' with some success. The big story is several friends of mine have been getting into the slab crappies using jig and minnow, flu-flus, and southern pro crappie stingers depending on current and how deep they are going. I think the deeper water fishing is part of the reason anglers are reporting smaller fish, which is a good sign for next year.
Oh yea, nice big eyes being caught occaisonally on reef runners and shad raps late afternoons at 20' give or take. As your departure time approaches I'll E-mail ya and fill you in with the latest. <}}}}}><