• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What’s up, fishing freaks? Seven of my buddies and I just got back from four excellent days and nights houseboating on Kab. Thank you Ebels on the Ash River for the first-rate houseboat and service. We will always come back to visit you! This was the 5th Annual Northwood Binge Drinking and Fishing Extravaganza. And what a doozie it was. We were up there June 5-9.

Three words to live by: WIND SWEPT SHORELINES!!!

Day 1: Yoder Island/Lost Bay area. Lots of boats and a few fish. Word was the walleye bite was on around Wolf Island. We fished the entire way to Long Slough. We marked fish most of the time but couldn’t get’em to jump into our boat. No problem cuz we have 3 full days ahead of us.

Day 2: Cutover Island. In the AM, I pulled out my planer boards to test them out(see previous posts). I let out 70-110 ft of line but only came up with hammer handles Afternoon action by Clyde’s Creek was slow. I fished off the pier at the Rock Garden dock and caught 2 smallies on small cranks and another hammer handle on a daredevil. Action came at evening bite, slip-bobbering in 12-17ft with leeches and minnows on the East side of the island. Not even a tap on crawlers.

Day 3: Cutover Island. Got up at dawn and trolled cranks until 9:30ish towards Area 22, NADA! After breakfast, it got windy as we headed out again around Cutover Island. Trolled again with cranks and caught a few hammer handles. Wind had been out of the West & Southwest which pushed the fish into El Bay. Two sauger and a wally were boated in there before heading back around the island(at 2.5ish mph). Others in the group pulled in some slot walleyes dragging Lindy’s in 12’-20’ and hammer handles on cranks.

Day 4: Cutover Island. OH-MY-GOD…We woke up late and hung over. The sun was out with bluebird skys. With the wind still from the SW and light, three of us went out at 10:30AM expecting to be back around lunch. We trolled for an hour or so up towards Sucker Creek. I caught some 20-22” northerns in there and another guy nabbed a smallie. We could see some other smallies by downed timber but must have scared them away with the barrage of spinners & medium cranks we threw at them. I was surprised by the good depth in there most of the way in. We left and headed NW again toward Mallard Bay. Nice view but no fish. Then on the way back it happened! Tap, tap, tap at 16 feet with a ¾ oz bottom bouncer on our way back towards Epping Island. Finally, J-A-C-K-P-O-T!!! The key here was a plain red hook with 3-4 snells. I was the fool fishing with “other color” hooks before giving into old red an hour and a half later. We didn’t leave Areas 8 until 9:30PM! In 7.5 hours, it was wally after wally after wally... Drifting/electric motor trolling back and forth between 15-30’. Depth didn’t seem to really matter, just get to the bottom. We lost count at about 25 and limited out on keepers. We even ran out of food and drink around 5-5:30pm but didn’t care and never left the area. We did have some water with but who wants that? I have never, personally, seen so many fish in my life. (and I’m 34) Around 6PM, numerous boat started to show up from the resorts across on the SW side. Maybe a dozen or so boats finished out the evening there with us and EVERYONE was reeling in fish.

Day 5: Woke up to medium rainfall and headed back to the Ash River. Winds were light but rain was getting progressively worse. Glad we got out cuz that’s the storm that has the NW part of the state flooded right now.

Stats:
-After what we ate, everyone brought home about 8-10 filets each.
-Live baits on spinners did catch jack! Vertical jigging did produce what it should have either.
-Cranks, in general we average at best. I still can’t believe most were caught on firetiger color. Husky jerks and jointed. According to my GPS, land speeds of 2.1-2.9mph triggered the most action.
-Not a single fish caught on crawlers.
-Biggest Walleye: 22.5” 4.5-4.75 lbs. caught slip-bobbering of the houseboat by the new guy(**** it!)
-Biggest Northern: 25” We did keep any. Aren’t there any BIG, UGLY AXE HANDLES in this lake?
-Biggest Smallie: ??? We didn’t keep any of those either but caught 15-20 randomly on cranks.
-Biggest Buzz: Jon (he got bounced out of the boat at 35mph on an afternoon tour to Kettle Falls on day 4)

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. Hopefully other will share their fish tales as well. I look forward to reading them. -BAWS

------------------
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach him to fish and he'll sit in the boat and drink beer.

I almost forgot, water temps ranged from 59-65F thoughout the day but 62-64F seemed to be the most constant. At least when I was paying attention. -BAWS

------------------
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach him to fish and he'll sit in the boat and drink beer.

Good report Slayer, We are heading up to Kabby/Nam tomorrow. Hoping to find the wallies. Maybe run over and give that area a try. I say the fishing must have been good to stay in the boat after running out of food and BEER. Do you have a GPS reading for that spot. Will report when we get back in a week.

OO Buckshot

Thx Slayer,
My fishing partner has the Hotspots map.
He lives in Minneapolis, I'll be picking him up in the morning.
Thanks again. Sounds like you all had Fun grin.gif.

Area 8 (there are 2) on the Fishing Hotspots map. The rock piles in that area did produce a couple samllies as well in 6-12 feet.

• 2 weeks later...

HEY BAWS

JUST GOT BACK 22ND FROM WEEK ON 65FT HB TRIP. WANTED TO THANK YOU AND DUSTY FOR ADVICE ON THE AIRATED MINNOW BAGS. I DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT MAGIC COLORED WATER WAS THE OLDMAN FROM COLDSPRINGS PUTS IN THOSE AIRATED BAGS OF MINNOWS BUT KEPT THEM LIVELY FOR 4 DAYS TILL WE RAN OUT.
WE SPENT OUR FIRST 2 DAYS IN LOST BAY GETTING NICE MIXED BAG OF FISH. BUT NO BIG NUMBERS OF WALLEYE. BEST METHOD WAS EITHER LINDY OR SPLIT SHOT WITH PLAIN RED HOOK.
NEXT 3 DAYS WE STAYED AT CUTOVER VIEW WITH PLAN BLACK JIG W/MINNOW ON DARK DAYS OR BRIGHT GREEN JIGS W/MINNOW ON BRIGHT DAYS BEING TOP PRODUCERS. WORKED REEFS FROM TRIPOD TO N/W CORNER OF CUTOVER PICKING UP ONE OR TWO IN A SPOT THEN MOVING ON.
OUR BEST LUCK WAS OUR LAST NIGHT AND MORNING WE STAYED AT CUTOVER AND FISHED THE N/E SIDE OF THE SMALL ISLAND WITH A CABIN ON IT. WE GOT THERE LATE AND WAS NONSTOP WALLEYE BITE ON ANYTHING. BUT IT GOT TO DARK TO TIE LINES AND STAY UNTANGELED. GOT UP LATE AT 8AM FISHED THE OPOISITE END AND BITE WAS ON BUT SHUTDOWN BY 9:30. OVER ALL WE CAUGHT ENOUGH FOR 2 HUGE ALL YOU COULD EAT EXTRAVAGANSAS. BUT TOOK LITTLE HOME.
MY OVERALL IMPRESSION FOR A FIRST TIMER ON KAB WAS IMPRESSED WITH THE SIZE OF WALLEYE AND CRAPPIE DISAPOINTED IN SIZE OF PIKE. MY SON WANTED A BIG NORTHERN OUR BIGGEST 6 WERE ALL ONLY 23 TO 24 INCHES. HOWEVER WHILE WE NEVER GOT A WALLEY OVER 23 WE HAD 6 IN THE 22 INCH RANGE THAT HAD SOME SHOULDERS TO THEM. AND IM GLAD THERES A SLOT LIMIT OR EVERYONE WOULD BE COMPLANING ON HOW SMALL THE WALLEYE ARE. THE SMALLIES ARE A LOT OF FUN. BUT OVERALL I THOUGHT WE WOULD COME HOME WITH MORE. THE HOUSEBOAT WAS ANOUTHER STORY I WONT GET INTO THAT HERE BUT IF YOU WANT READ MY POST TO DUSTY6 ABOUT H.B. GO AHEAD IF I COME BACK IT WILL BE AT A RESORT. BUT THANKS TO YOU AND ALL THE OTHERS THAT POSTED INFORMATION ON THIS SITE IT WAS A GREAT HELP TO THE ROOKIE CREW.

P.S. LOVE THE THOSE LOONS ON THE QUITE LAKE.

NPIKE77

------------------
npike77

Sounds like a successful trip, npike77. Glad the minnows held up ok. I do agree that the North side of Cutover all the way past the cabin is a great spot. I nabbed a few smallies there. Also i was disappointed with teh size of the northern. I really anticipated pulling in a lunker this year. Oh well. I'll find a big ugly northern to photogragh someday soon. thanks for the update. I have been enjoying reading the various reports since I have been back. Type at you soon. -BAWS

BAWS
SUCCESSFUL? YOU DIDN'T READ MY POST TO DUSTYS6 YET ABOUT THE HOUSEBOAT.
GOOD FISHIN TO YOU BUDDY
NPIKE

------------------
npike77

• 2 weeks later...

WOW, I did not see your HB posting until now. What a nightmare! In our 5 yr experience with the same outfitter, only once did we ever have to call them for assistance (a heater didn't light properly). I cannot say I really know Katy & Joe, per se, but they have always been accommodating to our needs. Of which, a refund has not been something we needed. What a bum deal you got! Did you try the BBB? They might assist you in getting some sort of compensation. Just a thought. -BAWS

------------------

YAH
I WAS REALLY SUPRISED I MEET THE MR AT A COUPLE FISHING SHOWS AND HE SEEMED PRETTY DOWN TO EARTH. BUT THE MS HANDELED ALL THE BUSINESS WHILE WE WERE THERE AND HER RESPONSE TO THE ENTIRE SITUATION WAS VERY COLD AND SHE COULDN'T BE BOTHERED. ONE OF THE CREW (LAND LUBBER(SEE HIS POST)) CONTACTED BBB UNDER MY NAME AND GOT I GOT A RESPONSE FROM BBB BUT NONE FROM MY FAVORITE OUTFIT. ANYWAY IM DONE POSTING ON THIS SITUATION. I THINK PEOPLE WANT TO HERE ABOUT GOOD FISHING INSTEAD OF BAD EXPERENCES. BUT THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE GOOD ADVICE ABOUT KAB. AND IF I EVER RUN INTO SOMEONE ON A LAKE THAT GOES BY B.A.W.S. ILL STOP TO HAVE A BEER WITH HIM.
NPIKE77

------------------
npike77

I'll gladly buy that brew for you. A Goose Island Honker Ale perhaps? And it may be sooner than you think as I am also from the Chi-town area originally. Crystal Lake.

Well maybe,That Honkers sounds good for that matter anything cold. If you ever fish Shabbona you might find me looking for crappies for my fry pan and a BIG HAWG for the wall.
NPIKE77

------------------
npike77

Thanks for all the info you guys posted.I just got back from Kab.(Stayed at Sandy Point. Took my son and Dad up for my sons first "up north" trip, we all had a ball. The best areas we found were around Cutover and Ebbing island. The things that worked for us were dragging leaches behind lindys in 23 to 25 feet of water, and also trolling. I just bought a Rivera mast system, and used it for the first time on Kab. What a difference from using planer boards, I love it! It takes up some room in the boat but at least you dont have to fight the board when you hook up and also there is no way to bonk the fish in the head since your line totaly releases from the tow line.

Hey, BAWS you say your from Crystal Lake? I'm from Island Lake.

Wylie

Good greif more folks from Illinois. We're from Mundelein and have been going up to Kab for 12yrs now. Kids were told not to get married the first week in June because we wouldn't be here. Crystal Lk, Island Lk and Mundelein. I know a guy from Elgin too. Should we rent a bus? We are counting the weeks until next year