Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
blue_healer_guy

need help?

blue_healer_guy    5
blue_healer_guy

Hello fellow anglers,
From southern mn and looking for a possible trip to your area for labor day week. Been everywhere and looking this time to your area . Have two young sons and the "old lady" and just wondering if the Kabetogama area may be the place this year. Just your average middle class family that wants to relax(the wife) and catch a few fish for me and the kids. Is it a good time of the year for walleyes. Been to a few areas of the state and have found that this is the worst time of the year for them. Is there enough to do other than fish to keep us busy? Would love to hear from anyone who has had a good experience and where. Thanks, Joe

Polar Bear    0
Polar Bear

mjgrose, I have spent quite some time around the Kab-Ash River-Namakan area in the 80's and early 90's. Its a nice area and there are 3 'must see' attractions right off the top of my head.

1. The Kettle Falls Hotel. Its only accessible via boat through Voyagers National Park. Its really neat, your wife will love it. They have a very nice restaurant and cool bar too. Don't even attempt to find it without a compass and a good map. I promise you'll get lost if you do.

2. The Ash River visitors center. Its fairly new and has a great informational movie on the history of the area and the Park in particular.

3. Feeding of the wild bears at the Schutte property. Just southwest of Orr MN there is a place where dozens of wild black bears come every evening to be fed by the caretakers of the property. They have erected an observation deck where the public can watch in safety. Just stop at the gas station in Orr and ask for a map to the place where they feed the bears. Your kids will be amazed at watching the full grown boars and females with cubs all within 50 feet. It just might be the highlight of your trip.

As I write this I realize how much I enjoyed that area (I live near Mankato). The people all seemed very nice too. There are some great resorts on Kab and a few on the Ash River too.

Another option you have is to camp right in the park out your boat. All the campsites are free and on a first come basis. You get the scenery of the boundary waters without all the paddling! Most of the campsites have a privy and some have bear-proof metal boxes for storing your food.

I should warn you that its a pretty rustic area for camping. Its beautiful but there might be nobody within 5 miles if you have any trouble. Also, the area is thick with bears, you've absolutely got to keep a spotlessly clean camp so you don't attract them. And the number one rule is never, never have anything that smells like food in your tent at night. This includes candy wrappers and even toothpaste. If you dont have any experience camping in bear country this might not be the place to learn!

The fishing is supposed to be better than it used to be because there is no longer any commercial netting allowed. The lake is so huge that I would strongly recommend a guide for the first day to get you on a couple spots that hold fish. Any resort you stay at will be happy to point you in the right direction too.

One more thing thats fun. The Park Service has several small, walk-in lakes where you can hike to and use a canoe or row boat. You must reserve these a day in advance however at one of the visitor centers and they will give you a key to unlock the chained down boats. I can personally recommend Locator Lake, its an easy hour hike each way and the trail is marked well. There have been days when we were the only guys on the whole lake and the fishing is pretty good too. Just remember to carry water along or have a purifier. Years ago we used to drink directly from the lakes but I know someone who got a parasite (giardia) from the beaver droppings in the water. Some guys still drink from the boundary waters but I bought a purifier for $50 to be safe.

Bottom Line: Do a serach for "Voyagers National Park", you shoud find all the info you need. I think you'll enjoy the area, I sure do. smile.gif

Polar Bear

mjgrose

My Wife and I, and occasionally some friends have visited KAB once or twice a year since 1991. We've always stayed at Moosehorn Resort near the Wooden Frog Campground. There's not a better family resort that I know. We go to KAB to fish Northerns and Bass and every trip has been memorable and successful.

Mike

blue_healer_guy    5
blue_healer_guy

Thanks guys for the reply,
Polar bear, I see we are only about a half hour away, I'm from the big city of Waterville. Watched a fishing show on msc and they were catching alot of eater sized walleyes on Kab. really got my interest. Mike, I will check out that moosehead lodge. Thanks again, Joe

Polar Bear    0
Polar Bear

mjgrose, Man you gotta be kidding! I should have figured it out sooner. You don't happen to be "Jiffy Pop Joe" the mailman do you ????? You're still kind of a legend around here! Fastest gun in town !

Do you still have the shower doors I gave you (in Madelia) !!???? wink.gif

Polar Bear

blue_healer_guy    5
blue_healer_guy

Polar Bear,
Oh my god, long time ago i guess. Put it this way, things have slowed down a bit, If you know what I mean. But I still have plenty of stories, if you know what I mean. Good to hear from you Polar Bear! If you got any places to stay or where to fish, let me know. Me and old red " I'm still married" would like to know. Hope to hear from you soon! Joe

Polar Bear    0
Polar Bear

Hey Joe, here's my email address: barryjyl@madtelco.net

mr marbles    0
mr marbles

Hey Joe, Ilive in Albert Lea and visit Kab every year and the fishing we had was excellent, I think the best fishing is in June which is the time of year we go. Spinners and bottom bouncers is what we use in June , Never have stayed there later in the year though ,We stay at Driftwood Resort which has very nice cabins and is very clean!and reasonable price!Check out the Driftwood web site my picture of nice walleyes 18# not 24# {slot fish} is there, we caught 50-60 walleyes everyday for a week, but i put a lot of time on the water also! Keep the smaller ones to eat and put the bigger females back .Which ever side of the lake the wind is blowing in baitfish, locate them and fish it! there is a lot of big throw back walleyes also, this lake has really come back and is beautiful! Good fishin!

skyking    0
skyking

I'd recommend Driftwood as well. I guess I'm a little bias since I used to work there in the early 90s, but don't let that discourage you from taking a look at the resort. The Grangers are great people and they will take very good care of you, and make your stay memorable. I was back to visit them 2 years ago, and the place just keeps looking better. The fishing is pretty good late in the summer too.

blue_healer_guy    5
blue_healer_guy

Thanks guys for the info. We have booked a stay at Driftwood. Polar Bear, I'll keep in touch, say hi to the gang! Joe