Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jim W

Kab/Fall?

1 post in this topic

IN response to not getting out to wade for some smallmouth last night, I find myself pondering the limitless possibilities that await me this September, fishing on Kabetogama!

This will be my first venture to this beautiful Canada shield Northwoods lake! I have spent quite a few days on Lake Vermilion, but never "Kabby"!

I am planning on making this the second annual "family" fishing adventure! My father and mother, two of my elder brothers, my wife and my wonderful 7 month old boy will be setting foot on the shore of Lake Kabetogama! SHould be a blast.

I am very confident that we will catch fish! However, since I have been deemed the "fisherman" of the family, not only the title brings on a certain level of expectation!

One of my brothers, who is battling with a severe health problem(not to divulge more than needed) constantly reminds me that he wants to catch a nice walleye! We caught plenty in the 17-18 inch range on our First annual trip on Vermilion, but nothing worth "bragging about"!

Oh, to see him sheepishly grin after catching a fish! Oh to see his expression "if"/when he hauls in that very respectable fish!

I guess a lot of factors come to mind when hunting for that fish of a lifetime. Weather, temperature, wind/no wind, depth, supply of baitfish and oh yes the right presentation at the right depth!

Years of successful fishing has come at the hands of no depth finder, no Lund Pro-V, no Trolling motor with splash guards, no drift sock and not owning a boat at all!!! Of course I do bring my trusty Vexilar along now, but I still have to rent or hop on someone elses boat!

I'm not asking for sympathy, just a moment of realization coming from a very large percentage of fisherman in this wonderful state who do not own or have access to a boat! All who can pick up and go with their boat at anytime, this fishing fool is envious! Just a simple reminder, to not take this wonderful yet short life for granted! Oh so much water to fish that I will never get to!! But I will keep trying!
Let's hope I can get my big brother on a good fish! That would in itself out weigh any state record walleye, smallmouth or trout!

Good luck out there, be safe, keep only what you'll eat and keep the rods bendin'!!! Jim W

PS. If any of you KABBY fisherman have any hot spots or tips for Sept on Kab let us know or if it is TOP SECRET, you can e-mail me!!!