• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Duck hunting

I think that Mongolia Lake is decent. I drive by it when I drive to Appleton. It looks like it could bring in good numbers of ducks. You will need a boat to get on it though. There is a landing on the north side of the lake that looks pretty good. Good luck and post your report if you get out on it.

I know this is a fishing forum but I thought there would be someone who could help me on here. I was wondering what are some decent lakes/WMAs for duck hunting? Is Lake Wagonga a good lake for finding some ducks?
Thanks

Yellowlab is correct wagonga lake is fair is far as duck lakes go. Monagalia lake/ mud as the locals call it, is by far maybe the best in a 25 mile radius. Go lucky and be safe.

Jiggin Jim

Mongolia?

It's Monogalia and to most of us it's simply MUD LAKE.

Anyhow,
Mud can be good, but it's also the busiest most hevilly hunted lake in the area. TONS of sky busters and people who dont know how to stop calling. If I could, I'd avoid the lake like the plauge on a weekend, not to mention it is VERY shallow this year and getting out from the access is a real chore. Also, if youve never been on the lake I would not advise that you try to find your way out there in the dark for the first time.

Where else to hunt?
You can try Long, Calhouln, Nest, Norway, Florida Lake sloughs, Big and little Kandi, Solomon, Point, and a few others. Wagonga and Lillian there is a motor restiction on these lakes and you can find that in the regs.

Good luck.

Tom Herman
Where can you legally duck hunt on Norway?? I have a family cabin on the lake. I just got into duck hunting this year still a rookie. I am heading up there the weekend of the 22nd I would not mind trying a few spots.

How about Middle Lake can you legally hunt off of this lake? Any info would be great.

Not sure about Middle since I think part of it is in the park, but Norway, there is a TON of places to hunt there. Just stay 500 feet away from the houses and you'll be ok.

Tom that is very true about Mud lake that is why I always hunted east of county rd 9.
Another great spot for ducks is Ringo lake but its more of a diver duck than puddler spot. There are so many places to go. But at least with fishing I can sleep in a little.

is monogalia (mud) the same as monongalia (a "resevoir" of the crow river)?? fished it once many years ago and caught tons of snakes. if i remember right, it was shallow and looked like it would make for awesome duck hunting. many lakes in that area with "goofy" spellings. the lake i fished 15yrs ago was monongalia, I believe, but only was there once. I'm a novice to that area. probably two different bodies of water. just curious. later.

goose

Yea, one in the same.

Lots of snakes but some really nice ones too. It is very overlooked for its walleye, crappie, bluegill and bass. All of which have high numbers and very good quality.

just curious. i know it's not mongolia. it the correct spelling monogalia or monongalia. later.

goose

Ya, best of luck if you hit Mud! Lots of rice to chop through and I hope you got the punt gun with.

I was on Solomon today and there was a lot of wood ducks and a bunch of ringbills must have come down too, there was a lot of birds. With the cold coming and northwest winds at 40 mph, who knows what could happen! They'll be coming through in the morning, ill be there.

Keep 'em loaded!

It's really not the rice that is the issue since there isnt much out there this year. It's the stuff under the surface and those little pine tree looking things that stick out. I've never seen it this weedy and shalow not to mention there are a few logs in the channel I've hit this year that I have not hit in the past. Fun, Fun, Fun!

Wow, surprised the woodies are still on Solomon, although we really havnt had that cold of weather to kick em out. It should be a good weekend for ringbills and hopefully a few more mallards with everyone kicking em up pheasant hunting.

Good luck.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

We always get a few BWT and Woodies mixed in as well the opening weekend of pheasant. Seems those little buggers like to bury themselves in the irragation ditches and small puddles until the last possible moment. The guys hunting pheasants usually roust a few of them out for us. grin.gif

Borch