Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
West County Joe

Smallies without Live bait

West County Joe

It appears that the majority of the fella's fishing Green use live bait. Do any of you guys use jigs or spinnerbaits? I would start with a jig a twister and throw cranks and spinnerbaits. Can i fish the weed beds and get smallies and bucketmouths. Do most guys fish the walleyes and accidently catch smallies. I'm looking for a mixed bag, all catch and release. Is it still busyon the water and the landings? your help is always appreciated. Thanks, West county Joe

LocalGuide

Yep, I have caught lots smallies on crankbaits before, jigs are also a good option. But beware, them pesky rock bass will go after anything. I have caught them on crankbaits trolling before, so they can be aggressive.
Normally out on Green while fishing spinnerbaits you will catch more pike than bass. But its about a 50-50 deal and pike are fun to catch also.

The buoy's stay on the lake until late October, then the DNR takes them off. The landing in town and on the north shore (Browns) are all safe to drive right up to.

GL

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!

JG33

West County Joe,

You can catch those smallies on Green without live bait. Your cranks & jigs will work - but....I will give up a couple of my secrets, if you will share some of your daytime walleye info on green.

Ok, the deal is the smallies that I have found have not been shallow. They are anywhere from 9 to 20 feet depending on the day and the spot. Work the mid-lake humps. They also tend to be around the weeds on these spots

As far as bait, I have been having a BLAST catching them on topwater - yah topwater in 20 foot sometimes! Also, throw jerk shads or senko type baits. The topwater deal, I have been keeping to myself, but it is just too much fun not share!

Hope this helps.

JG

chemfish

JG33,

Just got back from a smallie fishing trip to Canada. My favorite is catching them on topwater. Seems like some days topwater works great and then the next they just won't hit unless using a jig. Have never used topwater on Green. Will have to give it a try this fall. Does topwater work better with a slight wind? Have you been getting them all summer on topwater? Would be interested in connecting with you for a trip to Green if you are interested.

CF

Topwater over deep water is not uncommon...it's a blast!

I have heard stories of people catching the over 80 feet. It really helps if you are fishing clear water. The fish are probably susspended chasing bait and they can see your topwater from a good distance.

The only way I'll use live bait on Green for smallies is if I'm using a circle hook to prevent gut-hooking the fish, otherwise its artificial for me.

JG33

Chem,

I usually have the best luck with no wind or a slight wind. So as you know, I have had to pick my days.

I have been catching them on top since the first part of July. That is the first time I tried them on top anyway. My guess is that you can catch them earlier as well. We will see how the fall bite goes.

Yah, I am game for a trip out on on Green.

Where do you go in Canada?

JG

chemfish

JG33

My wife and I have been going to a series of lakes about 1 hour northwest of International Falls. The cabin is on Clearwater Lake which is connected to Pipestone lake on the north and Jackfish Lake to the south. Altogether the chain is about 75 miles long and doesn't get a lot of attention, especially north. The north is quite good for smallies. We used skitterpops last year and caught lots. This year they weren't biting on the topwater nearly as much but did well on jig/grub.

E-mail me at mhar@tds.net to set up a time to go out.

Chemfish

jigginjim

I was on Green all day friday, fishing many different areas. Caught alot of smallies some shallow, some deep. The best was 19 1/2". I used spinnerbaits, cranks, and jig/worms. I even got a few to take surface plugs, poppers doing the best. I even found walleyes in 20ft of water on a crawler. Lost a big northern on hultgrens reef. I think it maybe feeding on the smaller smallmouhts. I think there was a 4 boat fishing tourney going on. I caught one of my best walleyes when they blasted off best where i was fishing.