• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

late August walleyes on Green

My wife's family's rented a place on Green over the weekend of 8/20-23. Where & how would anyone's recommendations (serious ones) be to fish for walleyes at that time, how deep, etc. I don't expect you to divulge hotspots, but even generally depths, areas of the lake, etc. would help. I fish a lot for walleyes, primarily live bait, but never been on the lake. Also if there's any other species that might be going good then, some of her family would just be happy with some action. You can email me a [email protected] if you'd prefer not to post it. I don't expect to fish there much in the future, as there's plenty of good lakes much closer too home.

try trollin raps along the castle flats from 2 from 5 feet off the bottom you'll get smally's pike's eye's pearch and the rock bass catch all them

Joe Joe could you give a fellow sportman a little information on Green Lake Smallies. I'm interested in catching and releasing some hogs. Whats the best landing and where do you find the rocks. The bait store up there is of no help to me. We would like to film my new show two weeks from Saturday. Thanks, Westy

I printed the lake map off the DNR website, but naturally it doesn't label any of the structure, it just shows it. Where are the Castle Flats on the map?

There are no big smallies in green. The walleyes have disappeared in the last few years. All you get anymore are rockbass and perch and some skinny little hammerhandle pike. The castle flats are dead water. Besides, you run the risk of being run over by a fat guy in an overpowered boat dragging his two little screaming kids in an innertube. This is not a joke. That applies to everywhere on the lake, not just the castle area. I hear Diamond lake has been producing though.

I started fishing Green heavily 4 years ago. I have caught more walleyes this year than I have in all 3 other years combined. I don't fish in August much, but trolling I night on Green can be really good. Castle flat is the large shallow area that goes from the south shore to the middle of the lake. Trolling right in front of the old Indian Point resort can be good also. The landing in Spicer is very nice. The other ones are a little shallow for my liking. Hope some of this helps.

If ya want some big smallies on Green try fishing around Hultgrens Bar (Its located 'bout right in the middle of the lake and to the north some... It has buoys on it.) Or u can try just any of the mid-lake bars and catch a few.

There are definitely lots of eyes out there, the trick is to find them and then to get them to bite. They are kinda scattered all over, but some are in schools and some aren't.
I have some luck trolling crankbaits for them, but its not always a go getter. U can troll spinner rigs too, but the rock bass might eat your bait in-stead of eyes.
And if ya don't want to fish during the day u can always fish at night.

The best landing is the one in Spicer (Saulsbury Access) and I think the second best is the one on the north side of the lake (Browns Access).

GL

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!

Stocked
what are you smokin man? Green has to be one of the top smallie fisheries in the state not named Mille Lacs! I have caught 7 over 20" in the last year, and are planning to get back this fall again.
Try the castle flats or try by the outlet in the NW corner. There is a rock pile with a bouy on it. Go out to about 12-15' of water and hit the rocks. We used live bait rigs and pitched jigs.
Good Luck
web

A few years back i believe the little crow anglers fishing club produced a GPS map of green lake with local names on the bars and sold them for a fundraiser. This could be a good map for somebody who has not fished green before. You could try J's bait and he could probably hook you up with someone with a map. Or the undertaker i believe is in the little crow anglers club and he could let you know if such a map is made.
And as to no small mouth bass in green...They irritate me as much as the bull heads on big kandi lake when i am fishing for walleyes. Check out Hultgrens bar shallow for bass and deep for walleyes. Don't be afraid to fish 30-40 feet. Hope it helps.

Last September I caught my biggest smallmouth out of Green at 20 1/2"! There are tons of big smallies on Green. I wish they would have kept the regs at keeping no bass over 14". I feel that the big bass now might end up on peoples walls instead of back into Green. This lake is definately a world class smallmouth lake.

------------------

<*)))))))><{

Hey Leech,Tram,F5,Local Guide and Bigfife, I thank you guys very much. I did not expect all your hidden hot spots. I understand the first response was to keep me off the lake. I'm all catch and release and unlike a lot of fishermen I will work hard to find my own spots and keep my distance from the other guys. If I have success I will share that information with you fella's. In two weeks look for Team Crestliner and ICF television to be catching some smallies. Feel free to stop and talk fishing. If you need some tips on the metro lakes let me know. Matt Johnson is not the only one who knows anything. Ha Ha! Just kidding Matt ! Good fishing Guys! Thanks Again, Westy

Hey there. I know there is a GPS map of Green Lake. I helped make it. The waypoints will get you there but then you will need to look around with your electronics. Most walleye action during the day will come out of 35-45+ ft. of H2O. Smallies will be up shallower say 15-25 ft. Try the North end of Hultgrens Reef, the far southwest end of Long Tree or out from the Indian Beech Resort area all starting in the same depth areas of 40+ ft. Mel's Sport Shop (320-796- 2421) might still have some of those Green Lake GPS Maps that the Little Crow Anglers made back about 7 yrs ago. Like I said, they'll have the names of the bars/reefs/flats and get you to the area but it's up to you to locate the fish. If you can't find any of those maps let me know and I'll get you one.
Good Luck!!!

Thank-you Undertaker and let me know if theres any tips I can give you on the Metro lakes.Westy

Thanks guys for all the tips. I'll try to remember to post a report when I get back. It will be a while as we're not going for two weeks. I'll probably get about 2 outing of 2-3 hours each. Family weekend with lots of activities planned & have to spend much of Saturday running to the cities for a wedding on my side of the family. Summer can get so complicated...