• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

i just heard that the kandi park #2 access was all torn up / under repair. any chance that it won't be ready for opener?? also heard the water was too low at kandi #1 to get a boat in / out. any truths to this? was planning on spending the w/e at park #2 on opener. thanks in advance. later.

goose

I don't know what thay are doing at park #2 but the landing at park #1 is good. I have used the landing this spring and there is no problem geting a large boat in or out.

I hear they may not get it open until next fall! smile.gif Just kidding. From what I heard they are to have the whole project completed and paved by the 18th of May. Is the water too low? Yup! Need some rain if we want to have a decent opener! Actually the two other guy's sitting here as I type this are praying for the usual high winds and heavy rain!! Ha. Ha. Ha. smile.gif

I'll keep you posted as to the progress at the access this week and next. The only bad thing I see now is that it looks like the parking space is going to be way too small!! Not sure of the planning or thought process into some of the layout around the access/beach area? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

thanks W3'd. later. goose

I see the DNR has the concrete ramp pads down to the water. The rest are sitting there and will mostly likely be placed in the water today. I don't know when they plan on asphalting the parking area and road but I heard it was to be soon. I'm thinking they will put the docks in so people will be able to launch boats from there by this weekend. I'll see what gets done today and post tomorrow. Later.

The ramps should be good to go for the weekend. I was told the Park #2 store is opening Sat. May 8th.

OK, I'll rant for a minute about the new ramp and access at Park #2! The parking area is too small to begin with but what really irks me is why did they put all that #$%$# crushed granite around the ramps? frown.gif Geez, one of the few lakes with sugar sand beaches and they have to wreck it with sharp edged crushed granite! It use to be nice to walk in and out of the landing area bare footed but that is a thing of the past! I'm done now! frown.gif

Hello everyone!! As for the Kandi Park #2 access here is the scoop. As stated the ramps are done....and yes they did use crushed granite to fill in the ramp and around it...the reason explained to me is that with bigger boats and the slope of the ramp they do this on all new ramps done by the state to prevent slipping with bigger rigs. Right or wrong thats how it is I guess? I agree about the sand and the ability to walk out before though that was a nice option on windy days...gonna have to keep a pari of boots in the truck I guess. Anyway the ramp is done...the new dock appeared today, I am calling tomm. for someone to get it put in hopefully on Wed...but for sure by the end of the day Thursday. It will be ready to go!! As for depth..I worried about that too, but then Sunday after the storm I saw about a 20 foot run-about launch and my worried were gone...yes you need to back into the water a little with the bigger boats...but if they can do it with that monster I think we are all o.k. Feel free to e-mail with any questions comment though....the store and bait store are open at park #2..make sure to come and see me!!! Also there is a big fish contest this year on the lake with prizes monthly for numerous catagories..come and measure and weigh your fish get your pic taken and you are in!!! Hope to see you all soon!!

------------------
kandi park #2

If the rationale for the crushed granite was for slip prevention then they would have only needed it in between the pads and not used for bordering the edges and the center area between the two ramps. I guess after having been able to enjoy the awesome sand out there for better than 40 years it sucks to see a bunch of sharp, angular and very painfull rock dumped in! frown.gif

I have not seen the ramp yet. But if the ramp has pads like the ones on the minnetonka those chips will help.
I saw one guy back off the side of one without the rock. The axle fell between the pads. He had one bad day trying to get that thing out. Now the ramp has rock ot fill in the spaces.
Good luck guys. I get to work at Gander Mtn.
this weekend. So much for fish Norway or any of the lakes out there. I'll just have to wader fish buffalo lake friday nite/ sat.morning.

Only problem with putting the crushed granite only in the ramp is the 25% of boaters who don't hit the ramp!! HAHA Don't get me wrong I don't like it either I was just giving the reason that was given to me! p.s. the new dock does cover up the middle rock between the ramps somewhat anyway. I tell you what that dock is going to take a beating on the lake, yesterday the waves were going right over it at times!! Not sure a floating dock is the best option on a lake open to the wind like that?? Hope it holds up for a few years!!

------------------
kandi park #2

I see they did cover up the center with the new dock. It was certainly wild to watch that floating dock go up and down in that wind! I wonder how many people will fall off that thing when the waves are rolling in and they are trying to load their boats? Should be fun to sit and watch this summer! smile.gif

I was almost the first victim on the new dock in that big wind a few days ago. I went out to check it out...a huge wave came over the dock..and raised the dock about 2 feet it seemed and I almost lost it.... Anyway the reason for this posting....the new plan is that they are going to tar the access on Thursday the 13, weather permitting. They did the finishing touches yesterday getting it ready. I was gauranteed it would all be done and ready for use by friday....so if that is the case that will help alot, they also are going to do the 2 parking lots, the one by the shelter and the store parking lot then also.

------------------
kandi park #2

kandi 2 and W3d, thanks for all the info. how's the weather and progress with the tarring today??? pretty wet and rainy here where i am. if they don't get it done today or fri., are they gonna bother us & finish it sat??. i wouldn't think so, just wanted to know for sure. hope to meet you guys this w/e. W3'd, if you don't mind, what kind of boat are you gonna fishing out of. i've appreaciated and enjoyed your past reports on kandi. later.

goose

The tarring of the parking and resort area was completed last night around sunset. It looks very nice too! I just hope there is enough parking area? I'm sure there will be people parking along the new road which is wide enough now. I hear they plan on tarring the rest of the road this coming week. The weather is chilly to say the least! I had frost on my windshield this morning when I left and I see the new tarred area's were still flagged off to prevent people from driving on them. I'm sure they will open them to traffic today. Sounds like cool and chilly weather for the weekend. Dress warm and good luck this weekend. smile.gifsmile.gif Sorry, forgot to add that Park #2 is located on the North to North East side of the lake!

[This message has been edited by doubleUcubed (edited 05-14-2004).]