• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Ida the 1st weekend of October

We make a yearly trip to Lake Ida in June and the fishing is usually outstanding for bass, crappie and walleye. I am also an avid hunter and once September rolls around, I put my fishing stuff away, but this year we are going to try a fishing Ida in the fall. We are planning to fish the weekend of October 4th. What can I expect to find the bass and walleyes doing this late in the year? Any help is appreciated.

that can be a magical time for walleyes on Ida. trolling crankbaits at dusk can be very effective. otherwise concentrate on the deep underwater humps that top out in the mid twentys. some anglers will fish 'em as deep as 50 feet, but you should be able to find 'em in the 26-35 foot range too.

the smallmouth can also be very aggressive at that time, but any bronzebacks you hook up will need to be immediately released, the smallmouth season closes Sept. 8

you can try a lot of springtime patterns successfully. the fish are in a similar mode as the water is cooling and turning over. weed cover will be dying back, and the pods of fish will be concentrated near available cover and structure.

good luck on your surf and turf weekend!

------------------
Alexandria Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

crusher...Ida is a great place to be in the fall! I know that I will be up there the prior weekend fishing/hunting. Usually back home after that trying to get some crops off the fields but this year was all wheat and the combining is done, so I right now I am planning on being up there that weekend as well. G-man has things rather nailed down (as always). I have found fish all over in the fall. Deep mid-lake humps, rock/sand/gravel points, plus pulling plugs at night. The good thing is that if you find fish usually they will bite. Usually redtails are the answer and don't be afraid to have some good sized ones along. I'm in the blue/tan Lund Pro V with a 75 merc on the back swing on over.

Ghotierman...Haven't been up there in a while but may sneak away this weekend. How is the bait supply? Are you running any redtails yet? Still have leeches? Maybe you saw the pics of the Ida eyes that I posted so now you may know the face. Have a good one.

WW

WW...yes saw the pics...nice fish. Got a pic of my musky in the shop here. (it also made last wednesday's startribune fish photo on the outdoor page!)

We've got redtails, and river shiners. Leeches have shrunk up and only medium/large left. Too hot and dry now...

good luck and good fishing!

------------------
Alexandria Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Hey boys,

Turns out I will be up there that weekend too. WW and Ghoiter, you helped me out a few weeks ago by giving me tips while I was up there for a family reunion. Well, turns out my relative invited me to use her cabin because she rarely uses it after labor day. So look for a green/white 18ft Caravelle Fish and Ski...my buddy will be there with his 17ft bass tracker too..give a wave..

Ghoiter, from WW's post I get the impression you sell some bait also. If so I will try and find your shop for some bait on the way to Ida, try and throw some business your way for helping me out with tips.

Muskieguy......

thanks muskie guy...

give a call if you need further directions...

otherwise, we're simply about two blocks up the frontage road from the McDonalds on the north end of town...

------------------
Alexandria Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Muskieguy...where is the reli's cabin? I am 98% sure that I will be up there that weekend. Fishing might be an evening event. I may be duck hunting in the morning and chances are have moving duties from the old place to the new place in the mid-day (dock and lift included). Don't have far to go. The new place is just down (south) from the old Camp Omaha. I know that I will be probably pulling some plugs at night. Swing on over if you see me. Blue/tan lund w/ merc motor.

WW

WW,

I'm not sure I want to tell you where the cabin is at...from your last post it almost looks like you are recruiting bodies to help you move..haha..I will buy some bait from ghoiter as a thank you for the fishing report, but helping somebody move might be pushing it a bit...just kidding..the cabin is close to the public boat ramp that is on the south east part of the lake.(south 1/3 of the lake). Blue/Tan lund, got it..I have an 18 foot open bow ski boat, that has a bow mounted trolling motor, pedistal seats etc..just like the Glastron or Larson fish and ski type boats. I fish, while the wife suntans on the sun pad in the back, works perfectly!

Good luck banging the birds..

Muskieguy......

Muskieguy, Didn't have that in mind at all but, now that you mention it, Hmmmmm. Just Kidding. We are going to be basically straight across the lake from one another. Keep the wife happy, ahhh you are a smart man! See you on the water!!

• 1 month later...

Well, the 1st weekend in October is finally here. Does anybody have an update. I read somewhere anglers are targeting 'eyes in 40-50 ft of water?? Is this true? Also, have been reading that crawlers might be turning more fish than shiners, redtails?

GM, will try to hit your shop for bait and the latest update.

Muskieguy

Some anglers often target deep 'eyes in the fall. Particularly on the big waters of Miltona, Ida, and Carlos.....jig and minnow combos usually, although some claim to pull lindy rigs (at those depths, I suspect they're catching some suspended fish when rigging). That's not the only effective pattern in the fall, though. Shallow areas with current will also bring in some 'eyes...very similar to spring patterns. Redtails are typically the bait of choice...spendy and difficult to keep in stock (currently out here)...but anglers have had luck using sucker minnows of similar size, and golden shiners are working well too. Fatheads are a mainstay. Crawlers have been working still, although water temps are cooling quickly, turning on the minnow bite.

------------------
Alexandria Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

WW,

Thanks for the tips! I am walking out the door in two minutes, picking up the wife and will be up there in time for the Twins!! Go Twins! Tomorrow AM will probably try for some bass and then will go see GM and get some bait for evening eye's. Green/White Caravelle fish and ski.

Later...

MG

WaveWacker, where's the old bay located north or south end of the lake? I was up last Friday, Saturday, Sunday and we did fantastic. Lindy rigs with crawlers were the ticket Fiday in 25'-35' of water. We caught 2 Saturday morning before the GAIL-FORCE winds blew us off are spot. Sunday was a differnt story, we caught all are fish on a jig and fathead in 40' of water. the fish that we kept were between 15"-20.5" nice eaters! Hoping to make it back up there a couple more times yet.

Muskieguy...was up there last weekend but didn't get out all that much. When I did however I didn't have to invest all that much time to catch a few eyes. 18-22' of water on some of the mid-lake structure in the evenings was where/when I was out there. Redtails with Lindy's was what I used. They where biting kind of light so I don't know if a jig would have turned them. Like G-man said, don't be afraid to try some shoreline spots in the after hours. Look for the boats just outside of our "old" bay (Schwab's I believe is the technical name). Usually can be a good fall after hours spots.

Like I stated earlier. I have been limbering up the back for the big move over to the new place this weekend. I may be able to hit the water some but it will probably have to be in the in-laws boat since I volunteered to pull up a trailer with some furniture. 18' burgundy/tan Lund Pro V with a 115 Yamaha (steering wheel) on the back. Ahh, won't be the same as fishing out of my own rig but it should pay my rent of the place for next year! Good luck and give us a report. Planning on hitting it hard the following weekend (11th).

WW

P.S. Looks like you better pack the old long underwear if your going to be out on the water.

MarbleyeSorry about the late reply. I thought I did earlier but must not of went through. The now official "old bay" is on the western side of the south part of the lake. Bay that is almost cut off by the two points. What kind of structure where you fishing off of?

How was the fishing this weekend Muskieguy? Like I said, I earned my rent this weekend. Didn't even wet a line. I shot a few mallards Sat. morning and then it was all moving for the rest of the weekend. If the weather holds I am planning on getting back up there on Thurs. night and fish like mad for the rest of the weekend. Take care all!

WW

WW,

Didn't do too much fishing this weekend. Couple hrs Friday night around the old bay mouth area, couple hrs Satuday AM around the sunken island in the middle of the south bay and got nothing..we got impatient and gave up the eyes to hunt for some bass. Got some nice SMB, LMB and Pike casting cranks into the weedlines. About 200 yards out from my cabin(about 10 cabins down from boat ramp) there were a ton of boats parked all weekend. Any idea what they were catching?? They seemed to be anchored. I tried to spy on them with the binochs as I watched the twins/vikings games, but couldn't see if they were catching any...I am guessing that they were sitting right on the drop off? Is there other structure there that I don't know of? Water is down a lot, I couldn't even use my big moter to get to the dock, had to use my trolling motor and have everybody stand in the front or the rear would drag in the sand.

Still a nice weekend, will have to hit up the relative for a weekend sometime next year. Hit Alex Outfitters on Friday for bait and was going to intoduce myself to GM, but there was a young fella working the desk and figured that wasn't him.

I really like that area and that lake, and would seriously look at buying something up there if the wife hadn't talked me into buying a house for us(really her) that we can barely afford..oh well...maybe I will win the lottery...

MG......

Muskieguy...I saw a lot of boats parked over by the landing from the new place. There is a hard drop off with a little twist in the shoreline just out from the landing. At times I have picked up a few fish (mainly in the early season). Too bad the eye's didn't cooperate with you but the nice thing about Ida is that it seems there is always something willing to nibble on the line to keep things interesting. Keep in touch for next year. Maybe we can hook up.