• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

We spent the day working the lake, had one follow along the shoreline near the public landing in the north west corner I beleive. She was big 50+ easy, followed a Suik my brother was working. He seen the fish and about crapped his pants and froze up needless to say that fish sunk off not to be seen again. He also had an interested Dog Fish come following, that thing must have been over 30 inches, I told him if he hooked in to that he was on his own, I do not like Dog Fish.

This was my first time on Miltona, I liked the lake alot and would love to learn more about fishing it. I had a hard time finding Cabbage, is it not growing that well this with the lake levels being all goofed up? Or may it was my electronics they were being kind of tempermental yesterday. Either way it is a neat lake and I'm looking forward to fishing it more.

It is a great lake, RU...and sounds like you had a decent outing, spotting that big esox. a nice 52 incher came out on 7/15...cpr with a nice write up in the paper. It's a quality muskie fishery. I've just started myself.

the water is a bit high, so the cabbage is about a foot or two below the surfacd (deep beds anyway)...the weedline typically runs about 18-20 feet. It's big water, and lots of places to explore. good luck getting to know it better....and hopefully you can hook up with that 50 next time.

------------------
Alexandria Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

RU, thanks for the update. When you mentioned 50+ inches, I was thinking wow - you definitely don't see that every day. My report is somewhat similar to yours. I managed to do only a little fishing. I was confined to fishing mornings as we had a family reunion over the weekend - which meant my fishing windows of opportunity were very limited. I only fished early Friday morning and then again early on Sunday morning. I would have liked to have done some night fishing but too many activities going on. I ended up with three follows, one on Friday morning and Two on Sunday morning - all on jerkbaits, and all were set-up where the wind was blowing in on the structure. The follow on Friday was a nice fish, a mid-40 incher I'm sure. The other two fish were nice too, guessing upper 30's to lower 40's (inches that is). The interesting thing was that between the two mornings of fishing all three follows happend within 15 minutes of each other: 7:23, 7:05, and 7:18AM. I didn't check the moon charts or anything yet so I'm not sure what the magic was about that specific time frame. Anyway, it was definitely a lot of fun, but as you know it's always better when you get hook-ups.

Regarding your comment about the hard time finding the cabbage, I believe that is one of the hardest things for Miltona (and other lakes like it) "newbies" to get used to. Most of the weeds are fairly deep, so the sight fishing the weeds that you can do on many lakes isn't usually an option on Miltona. You have to be able to rely on your electronics - they are definitely your eyes to the bottom.

Thanks again for the report. Hopefully next time we can swap tales of actually "catching" rather than just "seeing". Oh well, that's muskie fishing isn't it!

Scott

Anderland,

It can be a bummer when you can get to the lake but you can't find any time to get out and fish, I know the feeling. At least you got out couple times and even seen some fish, follows on the lake are really exciting. I mean you can see a fish so far away and you can watch it come in and how it's reacting to your bait movements, VERY COOL. Well I did get my electronics fixed so next time I make it up there that will be more help.

I was able to get back up to the cabin over the weekend and wound up fishing Lobster Saturday evening and Sunday morning/afternoon. Action was tough and quite a few pleasure boaters and fisherman on the lake. I was able to hook up with a nice 39.5" off one of the Islands trolling a short lined 8" jake. That was my first Musky trolling what an experience, I perfer casting myself, but my boat partner was a little worn out.

Well good luck.

Matt

I come from a part of the lake that is not muskie friendly. A lot of people very upset that muskies were ever introduced, and never speak well of them. I have heard that a couple people are keeping some, which, keep anything you legally can, that is your right, just that the reason is not good with that. My father in law is one that despises these monster fish. Sunday i took him out to do some trolling. We went across the tip of a bar, not out more than five minutes, when his pole bent over and started reeling. I got to see it twice and was very excited, seeing it was a large muskie. Bringing it near the boat, i asked are you keeping it or will we let it go. He said it was a beautiful fish and he could see no reason to kill the fish. I picked it up so he could hold it and he watched me work her back and forth for about ten minutes before it took off like a bolt. It was 46", besides salmon the largest fish he had ever caught. I was happy for the fish, and that he saw that it was fun to catch such a large fish, and rewarding to see it swim away. I am not preaching, just relating my experience...

Maxx rpm, great story! I'm glad to hear your father in law seen the reward in letting a fish like that go. I think a lot of locals just don't know how lucky they are to have such a fantastic resource in their back yard. I have personally never understood where all the local-ill-will has come from regarding the muskie. Oh well, the only way we're going to educate people is to help show them the way. It's funny how CPR can be a catchy practice when people start seeing the value in it, and I'm talking muskies, walleye, bass, etc. Anyway I'll stop rambling, great story.

Scott

Was up there a week ago, and my fishng partner caught a big sunfish in 20 feet of water fishng for walleyes when he got it up to the boat a muskie about 35 inches followed it up. He flipped out being he has never seen this happen before.
I enjoyed the lake very much and plan on going back up next summer for sure. It was my first time on the lake, so I need to go again to learn it better.

Boated my first 'ski yesterday! Had the whole family along. Went to spend the day floating and enjoying the sunshine. The afternoon was a bit overcast and a little breezy...so we pulled up short of the beachy flats where we park and swim, and I started casting a black bucktail. About the tenth cast, I got hit hard....nice 45 incher! pictures will follow!

good luck all...

------------------
Alexandria Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Ghotierman, congrats on the first Ski, and a nice size at that, man they are fun, there are many more to follow after you get past that very first.

I lost my personal best at the boat yesterday, I was fishing Forest Lake in the Twin Cities. This fish was high 40's and quite thick. Oh well I know where she lives now and I'll be back...

Good Luck.

Matt