Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

1st Please Post Your Fishing Report - Then Join the NEW - Private Fishing Report Clubs   01/24/2018

Private Fishing Report Clubs - Click Here - Post Your Fishing Report Before Joining
      1st, be sure you post a fishing report in the forums, then ask to join after you post a fishing report in your area forum. The Private Fishing Report Clubs are where folks can share private fishing information with club members who have proven they know what's going on. Fishing Report Clubs Link also in Menu above. Apply to become a member today, while it's still easy. 
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  

Alexandria Chain

Heading to Alex in 7 days any info on the chain would help me a lot as I only have 2 days to fish and have not fished it in a long time THANKS!!

ghotierman

Zimy...what are you planning to fish for? Walleye? Bass? Crappie?...We'll give you the best run down we can...guys will be hittin the chain this weekend for crappies/bass/walleyes...let us know...

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

juggs

Ghotierman, I will also be up this weekend and will be targeting mainly crappies. I'm hoping they're in the reeds. What can you tell me? Will also fish for sunnies, walleyes and bass. Thanks in advance.

WalleyeMan45

For chain crappies, I would start at Darling in the pencil weeds. Geneva has also been pretty hot on the north end near the access. Some fish may be moving a bit deeper now (7-10ft.)

Good Luck

I need help with the Bass where do I start also love to catch Northerns THANKS.

ghotierman

Yep...look for the crappie in the reeds. Darling put up some really nice slabs last week. Carlos should be comin on this weekend. They can be pretty spooky, so be patient when your pulling up to a spot...

zimy...for bass or northerns, give the wharf bay of LeHommeDieu a good look. We're in pretty much a pre-spawn pattern for the bass..you'll find the bigger ones staging off the break lines...jerk bait or spoon will fire up either bass or norhtern...for deep flats, try a carolina rig.

good luck...
give a call at the store and let us know how it goes...

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

ghotierman

f2f...that's possible...we didn't have much for snow cover over the winter, and so much of the weed growth didn't die back (no lack of light)...I noticed some cabbage on Geneva up pretty high already. Makes the puzzle a bit tougher...in some ways, it's early spring...water temps, low levels etc....but in other respects, later patterns will produce because weeds and cover are more abundant...

best advice is to be flexible...and don't go by the calendar...

good luck..

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Thanks for the info, Ghotierman, you're right, flexibility is the key. I'd much rather fish a lake with a FEW too many weeds than one with hardly any. Weeds are a type of structure/cover that = fish. f2f

Ghotierman, do you think the weeds are more abundant for this time of year compared to the past few? I'm from southern MN. near Faribault, & it seems as though the lakes are much weedier than usual. My boys & I are coming up to Mill for the week of 6/14 & I'm just wondering what to expect? Thanks, f2f

fishman50

I'm not sure it is any secret even among non-fisherman that crappies spawn in the reeds if the right bottom is there.
But I completely agree with you on the catch and release part.

ya. We'd all like to think that everyone is a good sportsman, but the truth is, thats not whats happening.. People are keeping em, i really dont think anyone should even be allowed to fish in these spawning areas.. crappie season is almost gonna need to be closed in the spring to give them break, with new technology and more and more people fishing than ever before, the fish need a break!!

[This message has been edited by Gogblon (edited 05-23-2003).]

ghotierman

I do consider most who read this board as sportsmen/women...but I'm not so naive to think that some anglers don't practice catch and release...many don't. I haven't pinpointed any specific reeds or spawning areas...I try to offer general, helpful information...I'm not "sending" anyone to harass fish, etc....I've fished enough and read enough to recognize certain patterns...no harm in sharing that kind of information. Sure, my business benefits from angling activity...but my main motivation is to help an angler have a successful outing...to keep 'em hooked with a passion for the sport, to enjoy it as much as I do...even when the fish don't bite. If someone is coming to the area for the first time...of course I want them to succeed..so they'll return, 'talk it up'...If someone is a novice, barely a weekend angler, I want them to succeed, to catch the passion for fishing so they can recognize the value of the resource. We all need to emphasize catch and release, but that's a tough argument to make to the tourist from out of state, or the weekender who just wants one meal...they can't see the harm because its just 'one limit'...but we know that it all adds up.

caught myself rambling a bit...sorry...just trying to clarify my position.

thanks...
keep fishing!

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Hopefully this years change in limits of crappies & sunfish helps get the message out to those that don't already know that "numbers" of fish isn't what it's all about. I betting that Ghotierman figures that people that use this forum of information exchange are true "sportsman & women" & will have a conscience when it comes time. You're absolutely right, the quality of future fish hinges on what we do today. f2f

mamohr686

gogblon I think your attacking ghotierman a little precariously. I once read a study that said only 20% of crappie spawn in shallow water/shoreline environment. That means the majority of fish are spawning in cover you don't know about. Yes it is true that these shallow fish are more prone to be caught but it will not majorly impact a fishery. It seems like the people who always keep fish do the majority of the complaining. Practice selective harvest and let your inlaws (or other non-fishing friends) buy fish if they think it's so great.

I dont keep fish very often. We havent even had a fillet grace our table for over 6 months. What I do keep goes mainly directly to farmers.. There isnt a one that will say no when you show up with a couple bags of walleye fillets!!

juggs

Gogblon, I'd like to know how "new technology" helps anglers catch spawning crappies in two feet of water. The last few years I have resorted to the most primative of methods, cane poling. Fancy sonars, underwater cameras, tackle, and other high tech gadgets for the boat don't amount to a hill of beans when you can sight fish. Like the gentleman said, not nearly all the crappies spawn in the reeds anyway. If you want to know, I was on the chain yesterday and kept 18 between the two of us and we had to work for them. We did throw back another ten or twelve. I saw a total of two other crappies caught in the reeds. I fish a crappie tournament every May on a lake that has excellent crappie fishing. The tourney has been going on now for thirteen years, I believe and the numbers and weights still keep coming in strong. If we ever get to the point where their numbers are way down the DNR will do something about it.