• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Alexandria Area Lake Maps-GPS coordinates too.

Hi, Just wondering how many people have purchased the Lake Master Software, and wondering what their experience with it is. I am pretty computer literate and enjoy incorporating it into my fishing experience and utilizing fishing logs which seem to be extremely useful when connecting with GPS.

Do people that use this actually mark when they catch fish out on the water? are you users bass fisherman or walleye typically?

just want to open up the discussion! thanks for feedback

I just got the one with Mille Lacs bundled with it. Map is impressive, although most of the other maps are pretty generic. Since I haven't been out yet, I haven't been able to check the accuracy, although it looks pretty good.
The interface is simple, but the help files don't go into a lot of depth. The GPS transfer could use more documentation.
Due to the differences in GPS's, it seems they could do some tailoring to increase functionality - not all fields map out, and it overwrites in upload. Anyone with some tips on this? Keep a bunch of separate files?
If you delete a waypoint, it starts with the next number anyways, so you get gaps. I might see how hard it might be to write something to at least reorganize these.
Be careful if you start messing with the files - I manually edited one and had to copy in several original ones to get the program working again. Quite the experiment.

gte

Thanks for teh responses guys, that helps out some. i was hoping there would be additional information out there, or at least responses to add to and perhaps help your findings! that's ok, this software seems pretty new, i will be utilizing this extensively this year, with a new computer, new etrex legend, and also getting most of minnesota regions and nw wisconsin. what i see as extremely helpful is that despite the possibilty of more " generic " maps GTE, is that it is an additional eye on teh lake. i try to get my hands on as many topos as possible of a lake to be fished for different possibilities of structure. i intend to write more of what i find on this software later on, but think it will only help. at the same time, also mentioning any problem like you had while editting/saving files. kirsch, thanks for your explanations as well, that helps out as that is information i am interested in despite different platforms!

For those who have used it, any comments on how your system runs? I want to be certain I can run this on my laptop without waiting forever for things to upload when you resize. What processor and RAM are you using? Any comments on transfering wayppoints created with the software (Mille Lacs) TO my handheld Garmin? I want to be certain this feature works.

shooot you went way past me. I use it to find spots on a lake I would like to try. Be it points, sunkin islands, inside turns, heck the landing. All on a lake I have never been to before.

Some times it gets me right on top of a 10ft wide sunkin island in 30ft of water. Some times i mark a spot at 20ft on a point and get there and see 40ft on the finder.

It will get you alot closer than a map alone but when you get there you should still look around. Hope this helps some.. lakemaster rocks but you never know where the fish will be till you look for em.

I wouldnt fish without it. It would be like leaving your finder at home.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

There are 3 types of Maps from Lakemaster.

Reelbottom is the best and very accurate, it is done with 1 foot contours. It has Exceptionally HIGH Detail Derived From ON-WATER SONAR/GPS Survey.

ProMap Series is the second best and also accurate, it is done in 3 foot contours. It has HIGH Detail Mapping Derived From ON-WATER SONAR/GPS Survey.

Lakemaster State Editions is done in 5 foot contours. They are done using DNR Maps Data Enhanced by GIS & Satellite Imagery. These maps are only as accurate as the DNR maps with Satellite imagery improvement added to these maps. Generally they will get you close, but they are often off target with respect to GPS coordinates.

You can see the maps available by:

Clicking Here

Paper maps and Navionics maps will be available there soon as well.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 04-28-2003).]

I just bought a garmin etrex legend last night in anticipation of having the lakemaster software arriving and will report back how it goes. i look to use it like Deemo mentioned above, to identify key areas to fish, points, humps, even weedlines to work on, and then transferring them to the handheld. However, i think i will utilize that and the gps unit probably more so on bigger bodies of waters. For the smaller lakes it seems that it could be less necessary to use the GPS anyway, since you can typically identify spots eyeing up 3 landmarks, depending how far from shore you are. I guess there is always those spots on spots areas too, but sometimes the accuracy on this thign is 30 feet though and may not pin point it exactly.

The other reason i think it is good to get your hands on the software though is that I believe the more looks you got of a lake through different maps, the better. Makes you work areas more that show differently between multiple mappings. Sometimes other maps show what another might not identify, or will just go into more detail.

Anyway, i will let you know what i think as i get into using it more.

[This message has been edited by catchin'whopper (edited 04-15-2003).]

Rick hit the nail on the head. I probably should have clarified what maps I was interested in. The Reelbottom and the Pro Map are the ones I am interested in. I guess I am still looking for an answer on creating a waypoint on my computer (with the Reelbottom or ProMap software) and the ability to transfer that waypoint to my GPS (electronically). Then, I am wondering how good that waypoint is. Just seems like it would be too good to be true. The maps look sweet when I have seen them demo-ed.

AJ
from the demonstrations i watched on their web site and talking to people, creating way points on the computer looked easier than using the garmin unit itself. for one thing, using the computer you got a big screen to look at, are using the friendly mouse pointer and tool bars that you typically see, and lastly hitting one button to transfer it to the unit.

Well, i guess i don't have this stuff yet, but will write back when i do. look forward to anyone else's opinions or tricks they found out when using it that make it more user friendly or useful!

I have had Lakemaster for about a year now, it is quite easy to create a waypoint and transfer it to the GPS, you'll need the interface cable for you specific GPS model. I have a Garmin GPS12.

Usually I will do some map surfin before a trip, create a new GPS transfer file for each trip, and upload the whole wad of points to the GPS.

I have found that management of the waypoint names on the GPS itself takes some doing, for frequently traveled lakes I have a paper map marked with waypoint labels on it. Other smaller lakes I'll just take some notes on where on the lake each waypoint is, what type of structure, and depth.

As to the overall accuracy, the Mille Lacs Reelbottom is excellent, I have found Vermilion to be pretty decent.

TL

[Note: You can find more info:
By CLICKING HERE.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 04-27-2003).]

I have used the software for the past 2 1/2 seasons (ice fishin included). I absolutely love it! I have found in all of the map series that 99% of the waypoints that I mark while sitting at my computer are very accurate. Only beef that I had in the past was my ability to load waypoints that I marked onto my Sonar/GPS unit. I use a Lowrance LCX-15MT and could not transfer to the MMC card. Lakemaster has now taken care of that problem and created a program that will allow users to transfer from computer to MMC card (in MMC reader) and then to the sonar/gps unit itself. Cut down a lot of time in manually entering waypoints as you can imagine. Bottom line is that they have made me a very more efficient fisherman.

I have the software. I am pleased with the purchase. It is good (but not great - note: I resell high end accounting software to pay some bills, so it doesn't compare there) and well worth the money. I am also waiting for the interface with the Lowrance iFinder. Reminding me now to check with their website....

------------------
God bless,
Judd Yaeger
Yaeger Guides (Twin Cities Guides) www.yaegerweb.com/guide

I recently pre-ordered the Reel Bottom MMC Chip from Lake Master. For those who have the Lowrance GPS units that utilize an MMC card this is very neat concept. I sa a demo at the boat show of the Mille Lacs (1ft contour). WOW! It allows for graphical information to appear directly on your screen in relation to the contours on the lake. That way if you use the X-15 like I do you can watch both the depth/GPS and see in what relative postion you are to very specifc structure and contour. I look forward to testing it on opener. I have been promised that it will be delivered before then.

• 2 weeks later...

Here the maps are in order of accuracy.

ReelBottom - Best Accuracy
ProMap Series - Almost as Good
LakeMaster - Enhanced DNR Maps like most of the rest out there and better than others.

Available in CD-Rom and Waterproof paper maps.

Click here and really get the details

• 3 weeks later...

Please note that the

ProMap Series is highly accurate and has an edition dedicated to just

Alexandria Area Lakes.

Check out the ProMap Series Alex area anglers!!!

Link to check em - Click here.

• 4 weeks later...
Alexandria ProMap Series-Region #3
whitefish.gif
The Alexandria ProMap Series Includes:
Alexander, Big Watab, Carlos, Clearwater, Fishtrap, Le Homme Dieu, Miltona, Osakis, and Sugar.

These lakes are available as a package on CD-ROM for PC to GPS usage or vice-versa.

They are also each available on waterproof/tearproof maps.

You won't find more accurate or detailed maps. Fact is, you won't find maps as detailed or as accurate anywhere. smile.gif

Click to order or for more info.