• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Well with less then two weeks left till walleye opener, its time to start deciding where to go. I want to avoid the crowds, but we all know thats impossible to do on opener. Any suggestions on where to go to find a few nice walleyes yet avoid the crowds?

------------------
Ida_Man_03

Well, I'll budge and tell you where my options are going. Gogblon.... No lake is that secret. Trust me!

Strange choice, but I may hit Carlos(remember it's a earlier spring and water temps appear warm!) Le Homme Dieu or perhaps Oscar. This may be my sleeper of the lakes. Maybe not too. Haven't ever fished it on an opener.

One more that maybe productive is Whiskey. May go there too if I have the time.

[This message has been edited by Hammer em' (edited 04-30-2003).]

I heard that Geneva is primed for a good opener bite. Everything looks good on that lake form what ive heard. That might be the spot to hit on opener.

those all sound like great choices, Hammer...I agree, the chain may be unusually productive for opener this year...the weather seems to be priming us for near perfect conditions. don't forget Victoria as a good possibility...excellent chance of a lunker, and less crowds.

good luck...

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Hammer em', have you fished Le Homme Dieu on opener before? I too was thinkin about trying there, but i've heard that trying to find a descent spot in between all the boats on Le Homme Dieu is about as hard as finding a place to fish Reno, and we all know how busy Reno is especially on opener.

Am I cracked for thinking Charlotte in LP?

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

CHELLS I FISH RED ROCK ON OPENER AND HAVE HAD VARYING LUCK YEAR TO YEAR. WE ARE ARE LOOKING TO TRY A NEW LAKE THIS YEAR IS LATOKA NEAR RED ROCK?

D-Rock,

Fished Red Rock on Opener many years now, and would have to agree it can eb finiky, but it's still VERY fishible after spawn when it seems that they get lock-jaw. The lake fishes the best early day, and around dusk.
If you have any questions ask, my old boss and one of my better fishin' buddies has a place on it so I fish it often (at least 4-5 times a year, more like 10 weekends a lot of summers).

Now that everyone has an idea on where to go. I was contemplating either going with the good old lindy rig, or throwing a jig on and trying to jig em. There is a problem however. I rarely jig. I was wondering if there was anything anyone could let me know about jigging that could possible help me this weekend. I'd like to try dead-sticking but don't know how to rig up the right combination. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ida-Man,
I'm gonna start with a lindy/crawler, but I'll be prepared to switch to a jig.

Hate to be a pest, but ANYBODY got an opinion about Charlotte in LP for walleye?

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

I wouldn't. Better in July/August/Sept under a full moon! But that's just what I've heard from those in Browerville.

Thanks Hammer'em!

Am I remembering correctly that Geneva & Victoria are slightly south-east of Alec & connected by a channel? Am I thinking of the right lakes?

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

Auqaman01,
I will let you know that there are some nice fish in Charlotte, but this time of year it is really tough. The lake is over 90' deep and inturn the water is very cold. I was out last week looking for the crappies and the water temp was only 44 degrees. It is a very tough lake to fish because of the steep banks all around the lake. If you have the time give it try. Let me know how you do. Good luck this weekend. Zimm

Aquaman, Geneva and Victoria are the two lakes that you are thinking of. They are directly east of Alex on Hwy. 27. I know for a fact that the two lakes are connected by a small channel. It's been awhile since I've been on either lake and don't really remember if one can go through the channel. If i remember correctly then small boats wouldn't have a problem, but i would'nt take anything over 19 through there. But like i say, i'm not sure on the size of the channel.

------------------
Ida_Man_03

The channel between Victoria and Geneva was improved and made navigable last year. Most sized boats can get through now...the culvert under hwy 27 is the same size as the one from Geneva to LeHommeDieu that passes under hwy 29. There is a good access at the southwest end of Victoria. Theres a steep access on the east side of Geneva, and a flatter one with better parking on the north end. Try either one of these lakes, and if you get bored, cruise through to LeHommeDieu and over to Bug-a-boo bay for lunch...or over to Carlos....Options are wide open when you consider the Chain for opener...

good luck everyone!
stop and say hi!

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Friday
Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs near 60.
Saturday
Partly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. Windy. Lows in the mid 40s and highs in the mid 60s.
Sunday
Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers. Lows in the upper 40s and highs in the upper 50s.

That was from weatherunderground.com for the Alexandria area. I'll like the rain, but i'm not quite sure about that wind or the thunderstorms. But what do ya do, right? Typical guys, it is opener ya know!

------------------
Ida_Man_03

Well after a quite winter from myself I am back for another year enjoying the wonderful Alexandria area. I am going to spend opener on my home lake, Ida. Fishing may be tough but it is always nice to be out. Water is way down on Ida. Was up putting docks/lifts in last weekend and was surprised how low water was.

Ida man...does the name link you to the lake? If your out on the water, I'll be in the 1775 blue/tan Lund Pro V with 75 4 stroke merc. Stop by and say hi. Weather doesn't sound all that well right now. If the walleyes aren't cooperating at least we usually can get into a mess of crappies. Maybe no this year??? Good luck to all.

Well, if the weather is gonna be questionable at best, I'll stick to a small lake that I can traverse to the ramp quickly. Charlotte may not be a good walleye holder, but maybe I'll get lucky and I know there's plenty of eater size northerns & perch to be had.

Next thing I have to look for is Sauk River bridges I can park beside and fish under. Gonna have a 4 year old with me.

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

I live in LP, and have never fished Charlotte at all. I took the boat out there this weekend for a check out. I think any lake is a good choice as long as you are out there. I doubt that Charlotte will have the crowd that some of the bigger more popular lakes will have. I am leaning towards Reno, or Minnewaska. Alot will depend on what the weather does, especially the wind. If we have wind, the smaller lakes will become more popular.

Never Say Die

Clark

I fished Red Rock the week after opener last year and it was really tough.. the water stays so clear until later in the summer with the algea bloom.. i could see the bottom out to about 12-14 feet of water..

AS for the secret lake it is very much secret. I can gaurantee there will be less than 10 boats on the lake almost, and that almost every will bring in a limit if they know what they're doing! Takes a sensitive touch and a quick hand.. gotta have the right set up too.. I was told that if i blabbed this spot off, i would never be seen again....

i would stay away from Reno to be truthfull, that lake has about had it. I never really found the fish last year like i have in the past.. my uncle and his buddy from the cities call me every week in the summer sayin they hear its hot on Reno, but the local guys never do know about it!! also, its gonna be a very popular lake for opener i think, because everyone talks it up so much, fish-wise, id say your comin off the lake with about 2-4 for a full day fish..

just my humble opinion.

i honestly think you could do better on minnewaska

Ida_man,

Never fished Ida, but plan on fishing it a lot more this year, but what I've found on most lakes like Ida, (Carlos, Miltona, Big Sand, Mille Lacs, ect. big with lots of structure) you fish one area and learn it well. So start on the end you live and fish that half this year. Heck, fish just the structures on the northwest end this year. Work it until you find fish and after 10 or 15 tries, move to the Northeast side ect.?? Mille Lacs I fish 2 spots and have caught fish on both as many years as I can remember..even long before the boom/bust of recent years.

It's certainly difficult with so many lakes in the area too to concentrate on only one or two, but since I've done this, my success rates on those 2 lakes are so much better!

Good luck and I'll keep in touch about Ida. Just from what I know, fish deep during the day(30 plus) or in the weeds, and pull some plugs at night!!!

Vex, you can not get from big chip to devils or from devils to little chip. Devils is a good bet with a high lift count.

Ida-man, go up to little ida, and troll the shore that betsy ross resort is on from the 5th house up from betsy ross to the point at night in 4 to 6 feet of water with rigs or stick baits.

Had a place on ida for a number of years and it is not a bad opener lake if you understand it. The rock bar in christophersons is a good slip bobber location at night also.

------------------
Wayne
Agape Fishing Guides
www.agapefishingguides.com

me and some friends are planning to target smaller lakes. There is a chain northwest of alex that we are thinking about trying. Does anyone know if devils, chippewa, and whiskey are connected by channels that you can get through with your boat. I was also wondering what Indian lake is like.

WaveWacker, You happend to be totally correct. I got a place on lake Ida. Although, unlike you, i doubt that i will be fishing it this weekend. I'm not sure about you, but i've found that Ida isn't the easiest lake to fish walleyes on. In the past i've found that there can almost be too much structure to fish on that big of lake. It's hard to find the fish with so many options. Where do you plan on fishing at on the lake? You are fishing walleyes, right? I'd like to converse with you a bit on the lake.

------------------
Ida_Man_03