Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

1st Please Post Your Fishing Report - Then Join the NEW - Private Fishing Report Clubs   01/24/2018

Private Fishing Report Clubs - Click Here - Post Your Fishing Report Before Joining
      1st, be sure you post a fishing report in the forums, then ask to join after you post a fishing report in your area forum. The Private Fishing Report Clubs are where folks can share private fishing information with club members who have proven they know what's going on. Fishing Report Clubs Link also in Menu above. Apply to become a member today, while it's still easy. 
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  

Well with less then two weeks left till walleye opener, its time to start deciding where to go. I want to avoid the crowds, but we all know thats impossible to do on opener. Any suggestions on where to go to find a few nice walleyes yet avoid the crowds?

------------------
Ida_Man_03

i know just where im going, but ive been sworn to secrecy... looks like its gonna be hot this year!!

Havin' Fun

Well, I'll budge and tell you where my options are going. Gogblon.... No lake is that secret. Trust me!

Strange choice, but I may hit Carlos(remember it's a earlier spring and water temps appear warm!) Le Homme Dieu or perhaps Oscar. This may be my sleeper of the lakes. Maybe not too. Haven't ever fished it on an opener.

One more that maybe productive is Whiskey. May go there too if I have the time.

[This message has been edited by Hammer em' (edited 04-30-2003).]

vexalicious

I heard that Geneva is primed for a good opener bite. Everything looks good on that lake form what ive heard. That might be the spot to hit on opener.

ghotierman

those all sound like great choices, Hammer...I agree, the chain may be unusually productive for opener this year...the weather seems to be priming us for near perfect conditions. don't forget Victoria as a good possibility...excellent chance of a lunker, and less crowds.

good luck...

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Hammer em', have you fished Le Homme Dieu on opener before? I too was thinkin about trying there, but i've heard that trying to find a descent spot in between all the boats on Le Homme Dieu is about as hard as finding a place to fish Reno, and we all know how busy Reno is especially on opener.

Aquaman01

Am I cracked for thinking Charlotte in LP?

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

Don't forget Red Rock or Latoka...

------------------
Chells

D-ROCK

CHELLS I FISH RED ROCK ON OPENER AND HAVE HAD VARYING LUCK YEAR TO YEAR. WE ARE ARE LOOKING TO TRY A NEW LAKE THIS YEAR IS LATOKA NEAR RED ROCK?

D-Rock,

Fished Red Rock on Opener many years now, and would have to agree it can eb finiky, but it's still VERY fishible after spawn when it seems that they get lock-jaw. The lake fishes the best early day, and around dusk.
If you have any questions ask, my old boss and one of my better fishin' buddies has a place on it so I fish it often (at least 4-5 times a year, more like 10 weekends a lot of summers).

Now that everyone has an idea on where to go. I was contemplating either going with the good old lindy rig, or throwing a jig on and trying to jig em. There is a problem however. I rarely jig. I was wondering if there was anything anyone could let me know about jigging that could possible help me this weekend. I'd like to try dead-sticking but don't know how to rig up the right combination. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aquaman01

Ida-Man,
I'm gonna start with a lindy/crawler, but I'll be prepared to switch to a jig.

Hate to be a pest, but ANYBODY got an opinion about Charlotte in LP for walleye?

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

Havin' Fun

I wouldn't. Better in July/August/Sept under a full moon! But that's just what I've heard from those in Browerville.

Aquaman01

Thanks Hammer'em!

Am I remembering correctly that Geneva & Victoria are slightly south-east of Alec & connected by a channel? Am I thinking of the right lakes?

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

Zimm

Auqaman01,
I will let you know that there are some nice fish in Charlotte, but this time of year it is really tough. The lake is over 90' deep and inturn the water is very cold. I was out last week looking for the crappies and the water temp was only 44 degrees. It is a very tough lake to fish because of the steep banks all around the lake. If you have the time give it try. Let me know how you do. Good luck this weekend. Zimm

Aquaman, Geneva and Victoria are the two lakes that you are thinking of. They are directly east of Alex on Hwy. 27. I know for a fact that the two lakes are connected by a small channel. It's been awhile since I've been on either lake and don't really remember if one can go through the channel. If i remember correctly then small boats wouldn't have a problem, but i would'nt take anything over 19 through there. But like i say, i'm not sure on the size of the channel.

------------------
Ida_Man_03

ghotierman

The channel between Victoria and Geneva was improved and made navigable last year. Most sized boats can get through now...the culvert under hwy 27 is the same size as the one from Geneva to LeHommeDieu that passes under hwy 29. There is a good access at the southwest end of Victoria. Theres a steep access on the east side of Geneva, and a flatter one with better parking on the north end. Try either one of these lakes, and if you get bored, cruise through to LeHommeDieu and over to Bug-a-boo bay for lunch...or over to Carlos....Options are wide open when you consider the Chain for opener...

good luck everyone!
stop and say hi!

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Ole #1

Does anyone know what the weather forcast is?

Ole

Rain, Rain, Rain...

Go to weather.com...

------------------
Chells

Friday
Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs near 60.
Saturday
Partly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. Windy. Lows in the mid 40s and highs in the mid 60s.
Sunday
Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers. Lows in the upper 40s and highs in the upper 50s.

That was from weatherunderground.com for the Alexandria area. I'll like the rain, but i'm not quite sure about that wind or the thunderstorms. But what do ya do, right? Typical guys, it is opener ya know!

------------------
Ida_Man_03

Ole #1

Just kind of a bummer for the kids.

WaveWacker

Well after a quite winter from myself I am back for another year enjoying the wonderful Alexandria area. I am going to spend opener on my home lake, Ida. Fishing may be tough but it is always nice to be out. Water is way down on Ida. Was up putting docks/lifts in last weekend and was surprised how low water was.

Ida man...does the name link you to the lake? If your out on the water, I'll be in the 1775 blue/tan Lund Pro V with 75 4 stroke merc. Stop by and say hi. Weather doesn't sound all that well right now. If the walleyes aren't cooperating at least we usually can get into a mess of crappies. Maybe no this year??? Good luck to all.

Aquaman01

Well, if the weather is gonna be questionable at best, I'll stick to a small lake that I can traverse to the ramp quickly. Charlotte may not be a good walleye holder, but maybe I'll get lucky and I know there's plenty of eater size northerns & perch to be had.

Next thing I have to look for is Sauk River bridges I can park beside and fish under. Gonna have a 4 year old with me.

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

leekywaders

I live in LP, and have never fished Charlotte at all. I took the boat out there this weekend for a check out. I think any lake is a good choice as long as you are out there. I doubt that Charlotte will have the crowd that some of the bigger more popular lakes will have. I am leaning towards Reno, or Minnewaska. Alot will depend on what the weather does, especially the wind. If we have wind, the smaller lakes will become more popular.

Never Say Die

Clark

I fished Red Rock the week after opener last year and it was really tough.. the water stays so clear until later in the summer with the algea bloom.. i could see the bottom out to about 12-14 feet of water..

AS for the secret lake it is very much secret. I can gaurantee there will be less than 10 boats on the lake almost, and that almost every will bring in a limit if they know what they're doing! Takes a sensitive touch and a quick hand.. gotta have the right set up too.. I was told that if i blabbed this spot off, i would never be seen again....