Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SouthernMinnyRookie

Miltona and Ida update

4 posts in this topic

I have had better days on these lakes but this weekend wasn' all that bad.

Miltona - We were on the West end on Saturday morning and evening and again on Sunday morning. The best bite was on Saturday evening. We caught about 18 cigar 'eyes (no keepers) and a 4 lb snoot. The two mornings were much slowere. We only caught 8 smalleyes and perch. But man was it beautiful out there on Sat. night. It was nice to finally catch my first walleye with my Fl-18!!!

Ida - we did a little spearing out here on Betsy Ross in between angling. We ended up with 4 in 2 days all from 4 lb - 7.5 lbs. I did see a Northern that had to have weighed at least 10 lbs but chose to let it go and then the pike took my sucker minnow. Nice fish!!!! I did some checking with some other houses to see if they were catching any crappies but it appeared no one was really doing much.

Disappointing event of the weekend. We went driving around on Miltona and ended up going out past the Northeast Outfitters rental. In the next group of houses there was a house that had about 25 perch laying outside their house. In the pile was a walleye that had to weigh at least 8 lbs. I am curious why anyone would keep something like that and not photo and release. Oh well...

I'll be back this next weekend to find some more 'eyes. Has anyone found any yet?

Jason

Jason...sound like an adventurous weekend!...Glad you found success with the FL-18....flashers are becoming indespensible for ice fishing!

The area where we put the rental house has put up some nice perch...and as dissapointing evidence showed...an occasional lunker walleye as well!...There's a good 9 days of walleye angling left...let's go get 'em! *(but be sure to save some for the spring opener!)

good luck!

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Hey there!
Another weekend update on Ida.

I saw the largest Bass I have ever seen spearing. It even bit my wooden decoy. The look on his face of disappointment was hilarious.

As for spearing we did pretty good. Took 5 Northerns on Sat. All 4-6 lbs. Then we got one more on Sund about 5 lbs. Should make some good pickling! smile.gif

Didn't get a chance to do any jigging. Father-in-law said it was too cold. We planned to go to Smith. Heard the crappies were biting.

The boat show at Stubs got the summer heart pumping. What I wouldn't do to get a new Alumicraft Tournament Pro 175 with a 75 4-stroke Yamaha! Man, if only the wife liked fishing as much as me! frown.gif

Well, my winter fishing is coming to an end. One last trip to LOW for some crappies in late March. Otherwise, let's bring on some warm weather!

Hope everyone finishes the season well.
Jason

Southernminny: My dad had a lake home on Ida for over 30 years. I can't even begin to count the bass that we caught and released in that lake. I have one that I mounted back in 1983 that went 5-13oz. My sister now owns the lake home, but I haven't been back there for awhile. It is a great body of water. Glad you had a good weekend. I'm headed to LOW two weeks from today and again on Mar 20th. You must be fishing north for the crappies eh? Bill