• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What is the deal with Lake Cowdry? I lived on it from '92 to '94, and it seemed to be about the most worthless lake I had ever fished. I know this was a long time ago, but is it still that bad, or has it changed? I would consider myself a better than average fisherman, but this lake really frustrated me. After awhile, I usually would go somewhere else.
Looking at the lake, it seemed fairly clear, deep in parts, structure wasn't too terrible, maybe a little weedy for my taste but that's not always a bad thing. I'm just looking for some thoughts on this lake, because even though I will probably never fish it again, it really bothers me that I may have missed out on some good fishing when I lived in your town.
Sorry about the long post, but this lake has been haunting me for a good ten years. What are your thoughts, and thank you for your time.

Ex-Brownie

Cowdry is a nice lake..part of what I call the "lower chain"....spring walleyes like to lay around the channel into Darling..near the old RR bridge...it is a clear lake...good weed beds...and great for bass, and bluegill. Nice sized bass too...the panfish may seem a bit stunted, but the numbers are good. Ice time finds most action on the points....and the areas near the channels (once there is sufficient ice, the currents keep partly open some seasons)...as it is clear, usually an evening bite, or go deep. The spring walleye run has been phenomenal at times...a few years back the CO's busted a poacher taking over-limits from the bridge...all nice fish...20 plus inchers. Just a few random thoughts....I'll fill you in more after talking to a few other customers...

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

My mom lives on the south side. It is quite weedy on that end but we do catch a few nice bass off the dock. I have tried the 'eyes but the only luck I have had is in the early spring by the RR ties (as mentioned above). There is a deeper hole on the south side that I have seen a 28" come out of but I have never had the luck there. Typically I won't fish 'eyes there - I go to Ida or Miltona. I usually just fish panies with the kids. Don't even need bait, just a colored hook.

Best of luck,
Jason

Thanks for the info you guys. I remember the years I lived on that lake (during the school year), there was about one inch of water over the cement barrier by the old railroad bridge. So I could never take my boat into the channel. I make it up to Alex about once a month to visit my parents, so if I do go fishing, Cowdry usually isn't on my list. Now for another question, that's not necessarily ice related....

My parents live on Lake Victoria. I was told the new channel under 27 into the rest of the chain was finished this summer. I tried to take my parents boat through it, (17 foot fishing boat during late summer) but between the wind coming in from Geneva and the channel being about 6inches deep (on Victoria side) I couldn't make it. Do you guys know if they are done with that channel, are do they plan on working on it more next summer? It seems to me (if they are done) they should have planned it out a little better. Even without the wind, the channel looked about as wide as the boat I was in. Am I just doomed to have had both of my connections to your beautiful lake chain impossible to use?

I get a lund pro angler through there quite a bit. Just have to go slow. Also, as you come out on the Geneva side, stay to the right, it's deeper there.

I made it through with a Larson se174 I/O....the Geneva side gets a bit of a sandbar from the current. but the channel is easily passable. The culvert below Hwy 27 is the same size as the channel between LeHommeDieu and Geneva....it's a bit of an optical illusion, but your 16-17ft boats will have plenty of room. Pontoons have cruised through there now too.

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Cool..Keep thinking that the lower chain does not produce..There are no fish there..

Seriously, it took me a few good years of hard fishing to really start to show any results. They are in the lower chain (Walters, HUGE Bluegills) You just have to know where to look.

Brophy really produced for me last year.

Has anyone out there had any luck on Brophy through the Ice???

Thanks..
Happy Holidays!!
BA

------------------

I have heard about Walters, where on the chain is it? What lakes are accessible beyond Cowdry? ( If you are coming from Darling)

[This message has been edited by tyler97 (edited 12-26-2002).]

If I remember right, you could make it to Brophy from Cowdry. I'm not sure on that one, because it was a long time ago, but I think there was a small channel. Latoka was a no go. I lived in a little "resort" just off of 82 NW on Cowdry, and all that was available was a culvert about 4ft by 4ft under the highway. No boats. Canoes? I don't know. Walters sounds familiar to me too, but I don't remember where it was, and probably never fished it.
Just got back from my parents on Victoria for Christmas. Only two houses on their end of the Lake (Jessie side). I seem to remember small ice towns forming during late ice near Hwy 27 back when I went to Tech. in 92-94. Zero now. Happy Holidays, and sorry for the novel.

Brandon

I think 'Walters' is in reference to a particular large fish...as in "On Golden Pond"...or "Grumpy Old Men"...not a lake...

sorry... smile.gif

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598