Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

need help for lake osakis

4 posts in this topic

i need some help on lake osakis. me and my family will be up at lake osakis on the week of the 13 thru the 20 and we need some help. i would like to know where the walleyes and northerns are biting. any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I was up last weekend but I didn't get to do much fishing. My neighbor was up the whole week and reported having pretty good luck overall. They were catching sunnies in the pencil reeds in 2'-4' of water, fishing in the open pockets between the thicker clumps. They also caught a few walleyes every evening in 14'-17' of water around Johnson's Bar and Moon Bar, some drifting and some bobber fishing.

As for my outings, I could put you onto some pretty good rock bass fishing, but I think I'll hoard that spot for myself! hehe

Hope this helps.

Osakis is pretty straight forward fishing. The pike will be in the weeds, but for bigger ones, find the outside edge where it drops quick. Run spinners or plugs in about 12-15 feet. Day bite for pike will often produce good numbers of walleyes as well if a good wind is present.

Walleyes will be found on weededges and on the some of the bars. Like was said before, johnson, moon, miller, 1/2 mile, center all have there times and places. If it was me, find the windies shore or bar and fish that. Good luck.

Bait of choice....perch rapalas and nightcrawlers.

Well DRodgers, you probably won't read this till you return but it may be helpfull to someone else. We just got back from a week on Osakis. In spite of heavy rains (3 inches one night and 6 inches a couple nights later), fishing was pretty good. We found sunnies in the pencil reeds especially around the turkey barns. Most were a bit small but big enough to keep, but we got one 10 1/2 inches that weighed 1lb 3 oz. I did not fish hard for walleyes, but we managed to catch 5 keepers from 15 1/2 to 18 inches on the bars in about 18' of water pulling leaches on lindy rigs. We probably had another 5 that were under the 15 minimum. We had a bass fisherman in a cabin next to us who caught lots of 16 - 17 inch fish and he released 1 that was over 19. Oh yeah, one afternoon while walleye fishing with Lindy Rigs on 4 mile bar I caught 2 bull heads that were 14 1/2 inches a piece.

Most memorable part of the week? my 8 year old caught his 1st keeper walleye ever while lindy rigging, I broke my previous personal largest sunfish and bullhead record.

IaCraig

[This message has been edited by IaCraig (edited 07-14-2002).]