• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone have and good tips for fishing Mill Lake, I will be there the third week in July. Looking for anything that will bite.

hey bigspike I fished Mill 2 years ago in june for a week caught lots of large mouth bass and pike. didn't catch many walleyes though. they were catching walleyes on the north side of the lake. i caught bass on the west end of the lake in the reeds also caught bass fishing the shore line all along the s.e. side of the lake all using crank baits. fished lindy rigs with minnows out in the middle of the lake for the northerns. had alot of fun and caught alot of fish. good lake have fun hope i could help out.

bigspike
I'll be on Mill the 2nd week in June for a week. Repost after that and I will remember to tell you any info that I can!

------------------
Huck

Formerly know as 'Cornelia'...Mill lake is a great family fishing lake...lots of panfish and bass, and enough large walleyes and abundant northerns to make things interesting. Spring fed, and two deep holes (38 + 42ft) it has three distinct sandbars that usually hold the active big fish. Fish the northern side of the bar that extends from the point east of the channel to the little Grill lake. Live bait rigs with shiners or leeches to see if the eyes are active. This bar drops off to the lakes deepest hole...probably a good spot to start for walleyes....because of the clarity, they'll go deep in the summer daylight...expect a morning or twilight bite.

If the water is high enough, you can get a canoe through the channel to Grill lake for some more adventure....

Explore the sandbars on Mill...

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Hey ghotierman what about the crappies in July. I think they tend to go deep in the summer heat. Are there any good spots to fish them? Or are there any good crappie fishing at all in this lake?

Thanks everyone for your help. and and more help would be great. Thanks again

Probably a good plan to check the deep holes in July for the crappies....the lake is spring fed and remains pretty cool....look for the inlets and spring areas too. Mill lake has decent crappie numbers too...

good luck..

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

• 4 weeks later...

Panfish are in the shallows all over, active, aggressive and competing with the bass for nesting and forage..great time to take the kids fishing....anyone fished Mill recently?...reports?

bumping this topic up.

thanks.

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

I got back yesterday from a week on Mill. The
walleyes are just starting to bite. Look to the NE shoreline with crawlers or the midlake bar coming out from the west. The crappies are HUGE 12-13" and really kicked in by mid week. NW shoreline 12-13' along cabbage, suspended anywhere from 2-7'. REAL
early or REAL late in the day. Had a great time and will be back next year. GOOD LUCK!!

Thanks for the update! Sounds like you had a great week. Hopefully we'll continue to hear those kinds of reports through the rest of the summer!

good luck!....

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

• 2 weeks later...

What is the water quality like at this lake. I was there last August and you could less than a foot. Kinda soured me on the lake as I thought the water was supposed to be clear.

When I was there 2 weeks ago the clarity was 4-5'. But there was some pretty heavy winds a couple of the days. This was the first time I was on the lake, but I thought the clarity was pretty good comparied to alot of the lakes around here.

------------------
Huck

The water clarity on Mill is generally pretty good. Secchi disk readings should average over 8 feet. Not uncommon for it to get stirred up in the wind, or to be blanked by an algae bloom in August. Right now, most of the lakes in the area are very clear, near the peak of secchi disk readings. (Geneva, for example has a similar clarity to Mill...avg. about 7-8 feet. Currently visibility is over 10 feet.)

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Thanks for the info on Mill Lake. We have had a lot of 90-95 degree days in Omaha. Has the weathe been real hot and how will it affect an algae bloom, do you think one will happen soon. Also are smaller lakes harder hit than large lakes by the algae blooms.

It's been hot here the past two weekends....a little cooler in the evenings. August is typically when the lakes will 'bloom'....and it varies...size of lake contributes, but more importantly run-off...heavy rains will wash nutrients into the watershed...feeding the algae. Mill is spring fed and should remain relatively clear...

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

• 2 weeks later...

ghotierman I will be at mill lake on the weekend of the 20th. Is Northeast Outfitters a outfitter and bait and tackle shop or just a outfitter. The reason I asked is If it was I thought about stopping by and say thanks.

Also on a fishing note. I really want to find some good crappie's in this lake.(with out searching the whole lake all day, got the kids along and they last 10 minutes if nothing is biting). I know they will be deep. I am guessing around 15-20 feet? Is this right and do you know of and hot spots.

Thanks
-Bigspike

bigspike....we are a bait and tackle shop...also hunting, a bit of camping, and kayaks. look us up when you're in town....

As for finding the crappies....15-20 feet will be a good starter....i'll put word out and see if we can find some more precise info for ya...watch the posts...

good luck...

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598