• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Just for future reference, I was just wondering if anyone has hunted Lake Osakis for ducks. I would imagine the many reed areas would be productive in the early season for puddlers, and maybe the lake would be good late in the season for divers since it is such a big lake. I would apprectiate any input.

Thanks, S.A.

This question comes up every year.. and the eports are always good... birds early, birds late, and birds in between. Only hunted it once a few years ago... like second or third weekend, but did well.... saw good numbers for the area at the time. Always get good reports.

I have hunted there for about 25 years. basically only one place to hunt on the lake and TWO MANY guys hunt it. got to get out at 4:00am to get a place to put decoys. You can get some birds, but the diver action is very poor for a great area like that. Lake is big and lots of places for the ducks to light where they can sit undisturbed. If the wind comes up - you better have a plenty big boat.I found there is even a lot of hunters during the week - not just on weekends.

• 1 month later...

I hunted Osakis this year approx 30 times. It is not very good early in the year, probably because of so many potholes around for ducks to land, plus there are a lot of people who hunt it early. But usually around the middle of october, it gets good, for both puddler ducks, and for divers. I would recomend 3mile bar or west side of 2mile bar for a north wind, it is almost impossible to hunt with a south wind, but i have found that if you sit on the north side of 2mile, that will usually slow the waves down. Our resort offers hunting specials for the month of october.

www.midwaybeach.com