Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Evening bite??

12 posts in this topic

Is anyone catching Crappies after 5:00??? We have been there twice and did most of our damage between Noon and 2:30. Also got a FEW from 2:30 to 4:30. Nothing after that so when we left at 8:30 both times. All the Crappies have been fair sized. The bite has been very light. 2 guys 7 1st trip & 16 2nd out of Hillman's exactly were they told us to fish.

Lynn, what were you using for bait between noon and 2? I've been up to Red about 6-7 times the last three years and we've never caught a crappie during the day. Once the perch move in, the crappie fishing seems to die. Or we get tired of dinking with the perch and move our bait up or upsize, maybe thats why we don't get any crappies during the day?

BlackJack,

Myself and my brother were on URL this past weekend and caught 19, of which only 3 I believe were on a night bite. We were using Angel Eye Jr (GLOW RED) - jigging with a head or shiner tail. Did all the damage during the mostly around 2:30pm, but a few before and after. Good Luck!!

------------------
I like Tail

[This message has been edited by Caesarfishinguytoo (edited 01-14-2003).]

three of us caught 40 before the cold weather set in , best bite was about 5 pm .

Thanks for the update Ceasar!! Will keep my head in the hole and not on the cribbage board!! Were you also catching perch during the day? Were the crappies right on the bottom or higher up? Did you see them on your Vex?

[This message has been edited by BLACKJACK (edited 01-15-2003).]

Blackjack - Just good old minnows. Have tried waxies there a few times and never any luck. Very small glows worked the best. The ones that turned green. The red glows didn't work: however, they normally are very good. Watch the line closely. Tie a piece of colored line so the hook is about a foot off the bottom. When you see the fish on the flasher and the line drifts to the side of the hole. Set and hope. I use really light gear including spring bobbers and I only had a couple that actually gave me an indication they were there. Hope that helps. Other guys have now told me they have been having better luck in the daytime vs a couple of years ago. Not sure about the reason for that. The fun is in the fishing, not the cleaning.

BlackJack!! We were catching Perch too! It seem to come in streaks! First the Perch, then the walleyes and Crappies would bite about the same time!! The Crappies were on the bottom on up to two feet off the bottom. Walleyes were usually on the bottom, but boy would they run up to bobber line and smack it!! Good luck!! Maybe now that the weather is stable, might have even better luck!! grin.gif

Thanks for the reports!! I wish I could hop in the truck and head up this weekend!!

what are gem-n- eye hooks?

A Gem-n-eye is a jig with a big flat round head and has a eye on 1 side and usually a hammered gold or silver back. They come in all sizes and colors. The glow/red and glow/yellow in the med. size worked best for me on tues. You can find them in most bait stores in the Rapids area and on up to URL.

The last couple of weekends I could almost set my watch to the bite start and stop for me. It started at 12:00 noon and ended between 3:30 and 4:00. Last saterday I actually caught 13 fish during this time and not one afterwords. They bit the best on
Gem-n-eye hooks.

Great reports men! Nice of you to share specific information..jigs, bait choices, color, times.. Keep them coming & thanks a bunch!!! I will report after this week-end & it will be a long one... Martin Luther King day on Monday, NO WORK!!!! Fish, Fish, Fish & Fish!!!!!

Later... cool.gif Dugan!!!