Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ice conditions?

11 posts in this topic

I was just wondering if any of you savoy Red Lakers could tell me how the ice is and if there is a bridge over the pressure ridge yet. Or maybe just how far can a person drive out from W.W. or any for that matter.
Thanks

The ice is good. Bridges are over the ridge. You drive a 4X4 anywhere on the lake EXCEPT through the plow banks that sank during all the plowing the past few days.

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652

Hey thanks kelly! Over here on the Iron Range we've been hearing all kinds of stories. Nobody wants to go until they know for sure. After this cold snap I'm sure ice conditions everywhere will improve. Thanks again.
PS How far out has the main group of houses gone so far?

Anyone out roving around might want to make sure you have shovel handy. I needed mine three times the other night. Everything is now hard pack and if you get stuck, your stuck. it's just a good thing that the snow isn't too deep yet......

How much snow is up there??? Will be fishing out there on the 30, 31 of this month.

There isn't any main group of houses this year as people have finally figured out not to get crowded up and everybody is spread out real nice.
The snow might average 6 to 8 inches and some of the old drifts are up to 1 1/2 feet. It is so hard that I can raise the V-Plow and drive over the snow staying on top.

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652

Kelly, once again thanks. Except I have a feeling there will be a cluster again this year. It seems to never fail. That's ok too, more fish for us! grin.gif
Joe

Kelly, that warm snap this past week and then refreezing must have really hardened things up. That's great. Unfortunately it was still a little soft in some deeper drifts last Sunday and I had a trailer behind me as well. UGGHH!! The ole' back was not my friend on Monday that's for sure!

Is there more than one pressure ridge on Red? I've got a couple of GPS spots from summer fishing that I'd like to check out during the day, but I don't want to drive all over the lake if the locals don't think its safe....

As far as I know there is one ridge all the way around the lake that hits all the roads.
About 6 1/2 miles out from Waskish there was one forming that we hoped would be the main one but it appears to be solid now.

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652